P1000 Ride height no sway bar

A

ayoung

Dec 19, 2015
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello.
2016 1000-5 deluxe. Nearly 3000 miles of mixed riding (no road though, so all decently rough)

I fully removed my sway bar a few weeks ago before my first ride of the season (darn snow). Did notice some camber I wasn’t expecting in the rear afterwards. First test rides were fine with a light load....
Loaded up to go to camp and bottomed like never before.... actually looked at my rear ride height and was way low. Rear lower A arms were pretty well parallel. Didn’t have a camera.

My load wasn’t crazy.... maybe 300lb in the back. Never an issue before....

So.... has the removed sway bar caused this, or are my rear load levelling shocks shot? I have noticed a pretty rough ride lately too.... was wondering if it was due to new Blackwater Evos...
Thanks for any thoughts you may have.
AYoung

Reactions: JenElio
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thoughts -
1. Swaybars share the load L/R (springs and shocks) so removing it will soften the ride 'some'. Hmmm, I need to try that on my Talon R 🤔 as it rides pretty firmly.
2. On a flat surface, swaybars won't have any effect on ride height but sitting crossed up across a rut, all bets are off.
3. Someone else will have to speak to the load leveling shocks, I'm not familiar with them enough to have any info. Same with the Blackwaters.

A

ayoung

Dec 19, 2015
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks CID. Blackwaters are at 8psi, but will try dropping them to 6.

With sway disconnected I definitely have more traction in off-kilter stuff. Just have to figure out the ride height.

Reactions: CID and JenElio
JcornRose

JcornRose

Apr 4, 2019
Clearwater
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks CID. Blackwaters are at 8psi, but will try dropping them to 6.

With sway disconnected I definitely have more traction in off-kilter stuff. Just have to figure out the ride height.
Also just put some Blackwaters on (30”), and thinking about disconnecting sway bar. I have a HL bracket lift tho, so may be different.

A

ayoung

Dec 19, 2015
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
With 7psi in the 28x10x12 evos they measure 26”. My rear ride height to the hitch empty is 11”.

Stock ride height should be over 12 correct?

With the load I mentioned abI was down to probably 9”.... maybe less. This was after riding.

Are my shocks failing?
Thanks

Reactions: TripleB and JenElio
JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
With 7psi in the 28x10x12 evos they measure 26”. My rear ride height to the hitch empty is 11”.

Stock ride height should be over 12 correct?

With the load I mentioned abI was down to probably 9”.... maybe less. This was after riding.

Are my shocks failing?
Thanks
I think they might be going bad. I took out my sway bar a few weeks ago before I rode RRB. and my ride height didn't change at all. I also added spring spacers all around, I have the stock 12" steelies and I now sit at 14" clearance by the hitch.

Reactions: TripleB
Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
Sway bars wont alter your ride height. Or the tires. Although they can both adjust the way it rides to smoothen it out or make it rougher depending on the psi and width. And if sway bar is attached or not vs terrain. Your shocks could just being going out or the springs getting weak. You could add spring spacer or just get a set of springs to get it back right. Id take 1 of the springs off and check the shock itself. See if its loose to push in or out. If so id go full shock replacent

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

JcornRose

JcornRose

Apr 4, 2019
Clearwater
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think they might be going bad. I took out my sway bar a few weeks ago before I rode RRB. and my ride height didn't change at all. I also added spring spacers all around, I have the stock 12" steelies and I now sit at 14" clearance by the hitch.
Given we are from Florida, any tips on RRB? Going in October

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Given we are from Florida, any tips on RRB? Going in October
Skid plate!! Make sure you have one 😉 I dont know how muddy it'll be for that time but it helped me in the ruts A LOT! And of course there's always the rocks too. I think hunting season starts at the end of October so I'd check for that (safety wise) it'll be awesome though! It was my first time and I had a blast! Met some really nice people and rode some pretty great trails! Nothing like what we have down here thats for sure. I cant wait to go back!!
20200530 1812101

A

ayoung

Dec 19, 2015
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, after this weekend..... rear shocks are definitely gone.
How common is this after 3000 miles. They have definitely been loaded challenging miles mind you.
Should I even consider replacing with stock load levellers, or is a call to 814 in order?
Thanks

advertisement
R

rickoshea

my right side rear leveller is very sketchy right now with under 1200 miles.i made the call to Elka

Schmeg

Schmeg

Jan 9, 2020
Bangor Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, after this weekend..... rear shocks are definitely gone.
How common is this after 3000 miles. They have definitely been loaded challenging miles mind you.
Should I even consider replacing with stock load levellers, or is a call to 814 in order?
Thanks
3000 miles on base shocks is normal. Heck, premium shocks are due for rebuild between 3000-4000.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!