P500 Ride Royal Blue

Derail

Derail

Aug 31, 2017
Southern Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Had planned on heading to Hatfield McCoy in WV this coming Friday. We have been down there several times and I love all those trails. But I have been thinking that it would be cool to go somewhere different. So my 23 year old son and I decided to check out Ride Royal Blue. It’s over a 4 hour drive from my little shack here in southern Ohio. And my son doesnt get off work til 5pm. So we won’t be rolling south til about 6. By the time we get down there Friday night all we will want to do is crash out in the hotel room. Plan on getting an early start Saturday and riding all day and up into the evening. Then head back to the hotel, crash again and roll towards home Sunday morning. So I got one full day. My understanding is that it’s a big place. Don’t get to spend as much time as I would like with my boy and am very much looking forward to this brief trip. So a couple questions for those of you that have ridden there...If you had just one day to ride, what are the trails/points of interest that you would be sure to check out ? And, lunch...is there any place to eat that can be accessed with my buggy ? Or would I be better off to take lunch with me ?

Reactions: JACKAL
R-Lamm

R-Lamm

Lifetime Member
Sep 27, 2017
South Carolina
Ownership

1. 500
Have not been there but heard same things you have! Should be a blast! Glad you get to spend some time with your boy. Hope you have a great and safe trip!

Reactions: Derail
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Had planned on heading to Hatfield McCoy in WV this coming Friday. We have been down there several times and I love all those trails. But I have been thinking that it would be cool to go somewhere different. So my 23 year old son and I decided to check out Ride Royal Blue. It’s over a 4 hour drive from my little shack here in southern Ohio. And my son doesnt get off work til 5pm. So we won’t be rolling south til about 6. By the time we get down there Friday night all we will want to do is crash out in the hotel room. Plan on getting an early start Saturday and riding all day and up into the evening. Then head back to the hotel, crash again and roll towards home Sunday morning. So I got one full day. My understanding is that it’s a big place. Don’t get to spend as much time as I would like with my boy and am very much looking forward to this brief trip. So a couple questions for those of you that have ridden there...If you had just one day to ride, what are the trails/points of interest that you would be sure to check out ? And, lunch...is there any place to eat that can be accessed with my buggy ? Or would I be better off to take lunch with me ?

Here is my full write up on Royal Blue with GPS maps, paper maps, area info, etc.

Ride Report - Royal Blue / Pioneer, TN

Pretty much you will only ride in the TWRA Sundquist Unit off of Ride Royal Blue resort. Good luck with the rain, I am 7 miles from you and it's pouring here, shows to all day.

Here is a good list of trails to run and see the sights, recommend getting the paper trail map at the check in building / store.

Trailhead is Trail 27 out of park, there you will come to the Trial 19 / Trail 13 intersection. go right or left depending on what you want to see.

Listing in order if you turn right off Trail 27, Navigate to these trails, all well marked easy to follow on map.

Trail 8 has a big waterfall, have to walk down and back up out from it may be tough in muddy conditions.

Trail 2 is Ollis creek Trail has a Waterfall midpoint, follows a nice rocky creek, a good ride,

Trail 31 has a huge boulder rock garden you can drive around and through / access by Trail 21 I believe.

Trail 25 Elk viewing Tower best after 4 PM large mountain top pasture where elk herd congregates of an evening to graze

Trail 37 small waterfall

Trail 30 Top of the world trail - 3100' elevation overlook in all directions, easy trail.

Cautionary Trail 26 at end of trail 2 is very steep and bad in muddy conditions, you can bypass it just keep going straight along church parking lot as you come out of wood small gravel road goes up on your left bypassing the 1200' 40 degree climb of trail 26.

All other trails are relatively easy.

TWRA Sundquist Unit Trail Map

Last edited:
Derail

Derail

Aug 31, 2017
Southern Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Here is my full write up on Royal Blue with GPS maps, paper maps, area info, etc.

Pretty much you will only ride in the TWRA Sundquist Unit off of Ride Royal Blue resort. Good luck with the rain, I am 7 miles from you and it's pouring here, shows to all day.

Here is a good list of trails to run and see the sights, recommend getting the paper trail map at the check in building / store.

Trailhead is Trail 27 out of park, there you will come to the Trial 19 / Trail 13 intersection. go right or left depending on what you want to see.

Listing in order if you turn right off Trail 27, Navigate to these trails, all well marked easy to follow on map.

Trail 8 has a big waterfall, have to walk down and back up out from it may be tough in muddy conditions.

Trail 2 is Ollis creek Trail has a Waterfall midpoint, follows a nice rocky creek, a good ride,

Trail 31 has a huge boulder rock garden you can drive around and through / access by Trail 21 I believe.

Trail 25 Elk viewing Tower best after 4 PM large mountain top pasture where elk herd congregates of an evening to graze

Trail 37 small waterfall

Trail 30 Top of the world trail - 3100' elevation overlook in all directions, easy trail.

Cautionary Trail 26 at end of trail 2 is very steep and bad in muddy conditions, you can bypass it just keep going straight along church parking lot as you come out of wood small gravel road goes up on your left bypassing the 1200' 40 degree climb of trail 26.

View attachment 55841
Thanks for the info. Have not looked at the extended forecast yet. We will be there next weekend. Good information. Will be sure to take my binoculars and check out the elk viewing area. Sounds Awesome. Thanks again :)

Derail

Derail

Aug 31, 2017
Southern Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Have not been there but heard same things you have! Should be a blast! Glad you get to spend some time with your boy. Hope you have a great and safe trip!
Thanks ! Really looking forward to it. Got my new shocks installed and ordered some 14” rims and 26” Bighorn radial tires. New tires n rims are due to arrive here tomorrow. Anxious to get them installed and head to Tennessee with my boy.

Reactions: R-Lamm
Derail

Derail

Aug 31, 2017
Southern Ohio
Ownership

1. 500

Trail 37 small waterfall

View attachment 55841
Got a room at the Grand Vista Hotel in Huntsville next Friday and Saturday night. Very reasonable rates and they told me they were about 20 minutes from Ride Royal Blue. No surprise to learn all the cabins at RRB were booked on such short notice.

Last edited:
Reactions: moparornocar
Derail

Derail

Aug 31, 2017
Southern Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Supposedly Brimstone is three minutes away from the hotel. Pardon my ignorance...have never been riding in that area before. My understanding is that Ride Royal Blue and Brimstone are privately owned campgrounds adjacent to the trail system. Is this correct ? And if so, which campground would be the best one to park at ? We are not camping and only riding one day so we would not necessarily need to park at a private campground. Are there other places to park ? I know I’ve had a bunch of questions and I appreciate any tips. Trying to plan ahead a little bit and make the most of the limited time I have to enjoy the trails. Thanks again.

Last edited:
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Supposedly Brimstone is three minutes away from the hotel. Pardon my ignorance...have never been riding in that area before. My understanding is that Ride Royal Blue and Brimstone are privately owned campgrounds adjacent to the trail system. Is this correct ? And if so, which campground would be the best one to park at ? We are not camping and only riding one day so we would not necessarily need to park at a private campground. Are there other places to park ? I know I’ve had a bunch of questions and I appreciate any tips. Trying to plan ahead a little bit and make the most of the limited time I have to enjoy the trails. Thanks again.
There is 2200 miles of connected trails, in this there are three separate "Riding Areas"

Furthest south is Windrock formerly known as Coal Creek OHV Private park it is 70,000 acres, Permits are per person daily or an annual permit.
Windrock Park

North and East is the TWRA area composed of 4 "Units" From south at Windrock is New River Unit, then attached East is Royal Blue Unit, then North East is the Sundquist Unit and further East still is Tackett Creek this is 260,000 acres of all interconnected trails run by state of TN Permits are one person per vehicle all passengers free.
North Cumberland OHV Riding Area - TN.Gov

North and west of Windrock is Brimstone private OHV park its 55,000 acres attached directly to the TWRA New River Unit trails go into and out of each seamlessly marked clearly which place you are entering or exiting. Permits are per person daily or annually.
Brimstone Recreation - ATV Park in TN - Plan Your Adventure

It is possible to ride through Windrock, New River, Royal Blue, Brimstone all in an 8 hour ride. In fact just did it 2 weeks ago. I have run every single unit except Tackett Creek in a 120 mile one day ride with @Hondasxs back in July.

Last edited:
Reactions: Derail
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

To give you an idea the below box is about 30 miles by 30 miles square, it is zoomed way out with 1/2 of trails not shown and 1/2 of Sundquist cut off due to my 30" computer screen size restriction, I would need a 6 ft by 8 ft map to show every trail in detail of the 400,000 acre areas of trails.

The red double line areas are PRIVATE PARKS the rest is State of TN North Cumberland OHV trails you can see they are all connected seamlessly.

TN Trails

Same area in Google Earth, place marked the parks and camping areas of Trails End and Ride Royal Blue Resort.
TN Riding Area

Last edited:
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!