Talon Riding in Arizona from Ohio

S

Stel

Jan 22, 2019
Avon
Ownership

1. Talon R
Going to Arizona in February. I have a plate and registration from Ohio. I DO NOT have the proper equipment to ride on the road in Ohio however I do have the proper equipment to legally ride on the road in Arizona. The department of transportation in Arizona tells me my Talon will not be legal to ride in Arizona because it is not legal to ride in Ohio. Has anyone had similar experience and what came of it,,,,Thanks

HondaRed16

HondaRed16

Oct 27, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Going to Arizona in February. I have a plate and registration from Ohio. I DO NOT have the proper equipment to ride on the road in Ohio however I do have the proper equipment to legally ride on the road in Arizona. The department of transportation in Arizona tells me my Talon will not be legal to ride in Arizona because it is not legal to ride in Ohio. Has anyone had similar experience and what came of it,,,,Thanks

That answer is correct...if you don't have it registered here in AZ you are only good for whats legal in your home state.
Now with that said a couple of things come to mind:
  • Whats the likely hood of you getting pulled over by an enforcement officer that would know what the laws are of your home state?
  • If you are in-fact legally compliant for AZ I'd say not much, in most cases you have to be in violation of something to be stopped.
  • You say you don't have the proper equipment for Ohio what is that? In AZ you have to be a licensed driver, have insurance, tags for the forest and the road if you ride both which you will, front & rear lights, no blinkers required but brake lights are, horn, seat belts, all kids under 18 must be belted and have helmets.
  • We have also been told by law enforcement that if you're on a city street, county road or state highway the vehicle is required to have DOT tires (we've never been cited for it, but have been firmly talked too about it :)
The other option is why not just get tags for AZ as well which is about $50 if you register it as the forest being your primary use, if you say the road is primary it's like a car and quite expensive like $350 - $400 range.
You have to be really being a jerk to get stopped, if you do they look for everything as that is not their primary focus so it pisses them off.
Kids without helmets and seat belts will get you pulled over very quickly!
Also for what it's worth it matters in cost significantly which agency is pulling you over; US forest ranger, state game warden, county deputy or highway patrol.

What other questions you have?

Reactions: Arizona
HondaRed16

HondaRed16

Oct 27, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Since your coming in February where are you going?
That will help me determine a lot how risky it might be.

B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
assuming going off road also, you will need the non-resident off road sticker too for $30. You can only get it online at their portal (only know cause i just ordered one last night). It may take 30 days for sticker to arrive but you can ride with copy of the receipt. This just started in September from what I was told. Online Sales Arizona Non-resident OHV Decals at azgfd.gov

Reactions: lee
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
@bjniceguy that's a good catch.
I have hauled vehicles to Az a few times, never saw any rules for registration off road.
Thanks for the heads up.

Looking at the rules, there is a list of exemptions.
In Ohio I have to have an OHV plate so I hit all of the #5 exemption requirements.
(I wish I was on vacation for more than 30 days)

Arizona Revised Statutes Title 28. Transportation § 28-1178 | FindLaw

Az rules

B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
when I went to FAQ the #5 was not listed. I wonder if it has been updated? AZGFD

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
@bjniceguy that's a good catch.
I have hauled vehicles to Az a few times, never saw any rules for registration off road.
Thanks for the heads up.

Looking at the rules, there is a list of exemptions.
In Ohio I have to have an OHV plate so I hit all of the #5 exemption requirements.
(I wish I was on vacation for more than 30 days)

Arizona Revised Statutes Title 28. Transportation § 28-1178 | FindLaw

View attachment 171027

The out of state OHV exemption no longer applies since the 1st of September this year.
Off-Highway Vehicle Program | Arizona State Parks

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
when I went to FAQ the #5 was not listed. I wonder if it has been updated? AZGFD

It looks like it has been updated.
From the link you posted above:
2019 12 17 19 20 51

This is what I love about the way we do laws in this country.
I looked up the legislative action that created the OHV permit system.
But not being a 5 bill an hour lawyer I have no clue that the law was amended within a few months.

Trying to put together a trip in the spring to hit my nephews wedding in Kalifornia.
There are half a dozen places I would like to camp and ride for a day in as many states.
And slowly the cost is creeping up on me with out of state registration required in 4 of the states.

Reactions: Plumber32
D

DAJO

Mar 31, 2019
Indiana, Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
That answer is correct...if you don't have it registered here in AZ you are only good for whats legal in your home state.
Now with that said a couple of things come to mind:
  • Whats the likely hood of you getting pulled over by an enforcement officer that would know what the laws are of your home state?
  • If you are in-fact legally compliant for AZ I'd say not much, in most cases you have to be in violation of something to be stopped.
  • You say you don't have the proper equipment for Ohio what is that? In AZ you have to be a licensed driver, have insurance, tags for the forest and the road if you ride both which you will, front & rear lights, no blinkers required but brake lights are, horn, seat belts, all kids under 18 must be belted and have helmets.
  • We have also been told by law enforcement that if you're on a city street, county road or state highway the vehicle is required to have DOT tires (we've never been cited for it, but have been firmly talked too about it :)
The other option is why not just get tags for AZ as well which is about $50 if you register it as the forest being your primary use, if you say the road is primary it's like a car and quite expensive like $350 - $400 range.
You have to be really being a jerk to get stopped, if you do they look for everything as that is not their primary focus so it pisses them off.
Kids without helmets and seat belts will get you pulled over very quickly!
Also for what it's worth it matters in cost significantly which agency is pulling you over; US forest ranger, state game warden, county deputy or highway patrol.

What other questions you have?

If he registers in AZ that means he will have it retitled in AZ and he needs an AZ address with Az insurance Then when he goes back to Ohio he has an AZ title. Or are you just talking about getting AZ stickers?
Our last stickers that were mailed were here in a couple of days not the extended time they quoted.
Around her is seems no one even looks at our UTV's and we have the county sheriff's office right here for Pinal county Florence, AZ.

Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
only need the OHV tag if riding on OHV trail system. if street legal you don't have to get the OHV sticker. however, your not road legal so the 30$ might be of help.
when they run your tags it comes back valid or invalid. not much else.
the DOT tires. there is no law on the AZ books stating you have to have DOT tires, nothing for the LEO to write the ticket, no ARS code.
so that is kinda moot.
don't drive like an arse, have illuminated license plate, horn, eye protection, rear view mirror. and youre good. hand signals work for stopping and turning.

advertisement
S

Stel

Jan 22, 2019
Avon
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have the Arizona Off Highway Decal issued to me by the Arizona Game and Fish, so I am covered off road.I have talked to the DOT from 2 different offices in the last week. The first office was not even aware of the new OHV program. The second office I contacted told me I cannot register the vehicle in Arizona because I am a resident of Ohio. Finally after talking to two supervisors they gave me a phone number to call 'LAW ENFORCEMENT". The number they gave me was a machine directory that gave me 4 options ,none of which applied in any way to my situation. Finally I decided to randomly call Prescott, Az. police department. The officer was very helpful and said as far as riding on the road in Arizona my Ohio plate and registration is completely acceptable as long as the machine had the required safety gear. The only thing I had to add to my stock Talon was a mirror, horn and license plate light. I told the officer I did not plan on riding at night but I would keep a battery LED light with me that I could strap above the plate if I needed to or if I got caught in the rain, fog or night. He said that would be fine. He was very helpful.

Reactions: Arizona

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!