Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well I am planning a trip out to Glacier National Park in NW Montana. I've been to Glacier once about 10 years ago. I have a pretty good memory of it but i'm still doing my research. I'll outline a few of the main questions I currently have. GNP still ranks number 1 on my list of favorite places. I'm really looking forward to going back. I haven't decided for sure yet If i am going to take the SXS. I'm not sure if it will be worth the hassle/ if theres enough places to ride.... and it would be nice to save some weight. It's a 1500 mile drive one way with the truck and toy hauler.

1. What are the UTV riding restrictions in the state of Montana or more particularly NW Montana around Kalispel. What do i need to do to be legal?

2. Do you have any suggestions on places to ride in NW Montana?

3. I'll be up there for 10 days. Do you have any suggestions on places to hike to, things to see, etc.... I'd like to get off the beaten path and away from all the tourists. I plan to get into the back country for some hiking and fishing.

4. Any suggestions on trout fishing in the area?

Thanks for your help.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't have any answers for you, but I am interested to see what others say. I enjoyed my quick weekend trip to GNP with my wife a few years ago. I'd definitely go back.

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You can drive your pioneer on all paved roads within the park and non paved up by Polebridge to lakes Bowman and Kintla. Bring a kayak if you can. No trail riding though. Besides west Glacier, East Glacier is very beautiful as well and make sure you do the short hike to Red Rock Falls where you'll want to take lots of photos! John's Lake loop hike, Avalanche lake, and if it's open Logans pass hikes are all awesome. YOU CANNOT TOW A TRAILER UP AND OVER GOING TO THE SUN ROAD IF YOUR TOTAL LENGTH IS OVER 35 FEET, if you are and do so, you can get a TICKET and there is no parking at Logans Pass for a longer vehicle. Go to the ranger talks each evening. Fish Lake loop A I believe is the only campground within west glacier to have A SHOWER building. Different than state rules and regs for fishing within the park. I have been going there nearly every year for 10+ years...
east glacier

Last edited:
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You can drive your pioneer on all paved roads within the park and non paved up by Polebridge to lakes Bowman and Kintla. Bring a kayak if you can. No trail riding though. Besides west Glacier, East Glacier is very beautiful as well and make sure you do the short hike to Red Rock Falls where you'll want to take lots of photos! John's Lake loop hike, Avalanche lake, and if it's open Logans pass hikes are all awesome. YOU CANNOT TOW A TRAILER UP AND OVER GOING TO THE SUN ROAD IF YOUR TOTAL LENGTH IS OVER 35 FEET, if you are and do so, you can get a TICKET and there is no parking at Logans Pass for a longer vehicle. Go to the ranger talks each evening. Fish Lake loop A I believe is the only campground within west glacier to have A SHOWER building. Different than state rules and regs for fishing within the park. I have been going there nearly every year for 10+ years...
east glacier
View attachment 205627
from the archives
View attachment 205630View attachment 205631View attachment 205632
Going to the Sun Road in you Pioneer is too much better than in a car View attachment 205633View attachment 205634View attachment 205635View attachment 205636View attachment 205637View attachment 205638View attachment 205639
The Polebridge Mercantile is quite possibly the BEST bakery in all of montana, Huckleberry Bearclaws and sticky buns and cookies and so much more YUMMY!!!NOM NOM NOM NOM ..... I have 100's of pix from glacier. Send me a pm for my number and we can talk about other places to ride and things to see. View attachment 205641View attachment 205642View attachment 205643

I appreciate the info. I've been to several of those places. If I can ride on the roads that would be cool.
1 a lot better view than from the truck
2 easier to navigate the tight places

I should say this is primarily a vacation and not really a riding trip but if i can take the Honda and it is worthwhile to do so I probably will. Going to the sun road is awesome and it would be MUCH EASIER to travel in the Honda than in my big truck and more fun.

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There are other places to ride as well and I could suggest some alternate routes getting to glacier. Because I went so many times, I always looked at different avenues of approach from the south. There's some nice camping around Hungry horse reservoir too. If you're going to glacier try to get campground reservations in advance or see if anyone cancelled their site. you can do this even at the campground entrance kiosk. Again only showers are in fish creek CG Loop A. The Yaak Montana area is also awesome country. I been all over NW Montana. There's an awesome ride on Kootenai NF road 114 between Polebridge and Idaho worth riding too. Also I could recommend some great camping areas in Gallatin or the Beaverhead-Deerlodge NF's depending on which way you're traveling. Excellent fishing , high concentration of moose and grizzly bears , petrified forest etc
Hijack over... ;)
13A54732 A94A 40F7 B2F8 2FF2ECCCD9C0 1 201 a

Last edited:
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You can drive your pioneer on all paved roads within the park and non paved up by Polebridge to lakes Bowman and Kintla.

Where do I confirm this information? Do I need to add modifications to be street legal?

Bring a kayak if you can. No trail riding though. Besides west Glacier, East Glacier is very beautiful as well and make sure you do the short hike to Red Rock Falls where you'll want to take lots of photos! John's Lake loop hike, Avalanche lake, and if it's open Logans pass hikes are all awesome. YOU CANNOT TOW A TRAILER UP AND OVER GOING TO THE SUN ROAD IF YOUR TOTAL LENGTH IS OVER 35 FEET, if you are and do so, you can get a TICKET and there is no parking at Logans Pass for a longer vehicle. Go to the ranger talks each evening. Fish Lake loop A I believe is the only campground within west glacier to have A SHOWER building. Different than state rules and regs for fishing within the park. I have been going there nearly every year for 10+ years...

We will be spending 4 days on the west and 4 days on the east side. 2 days are unplanned. I've driven going to the sun road and recall how tough it is. I'll take the south loop around the park when I'm moving my toy hauler. Good news is I have plenty of time to plan for the trip. Do you have some suggestions for places to get away from the city slickers and tourists. I'd like to find some back roads and some hikes that I'm not passing people every 5 minutes.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
There are other places to ride as well and I could suggest some alternate routes getting to glacier. Because I went so many times, I always looked at different avenues of approach from the south. There's some nice camping around Hungry horse reservoir too. If you're going to glacier try to get campground reservations in advance or see if anyone cancelled their site. you can do this even at the campground entrance kiosk. Again only showers are in fish creek CG Loop A. The Yaak Montana area is also awesome country. I been all over NW Montana. There's an awesome ride on Kootenai NF road 114 between Polebridge and Idaho worth riding too. Also I could recommend some great camping areas in Gallatin or the Beaverhead-Deerlodge NF's depending on which way you're traveling. Excellent fishing , high concentration of moose and grizzly bears , petrified forest etc
Hijack over... ;)
View attachment 205722View attachment 205723View attachment 205724View attachment 205725View attachment 205726View attachment 205727View attachment 205728View attachment 205729View attachment 205731View attachment 205732View attachment 205733View attachment 205734View attachment 205735View attachment 205736View attachment 205737View attachment 205738View attachment 205739View attachment 205740View attachment 205741View attachment 205743View attachment 205746View attachment 205747View attachment 205748View attachment 205749View attachment 205750View attachment 205751View attachment 205752View attachment 205753

I do appreciate the info and I am planning on coming in from the south. With a 36ft toy hauler I'll have to do a little pre planning. I can't take all the scenic routes. The information is all good but the pictures aren't helping me out much. Any information on routes, backroads, hikes, riding etc is much appreciated.

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We will be spending 4 days on the west and 4 days on the east side. 2 days are unplanned. I've driven going to the sun road and recall how tough it is. I'll take the south loop around the park when I'm moving my toy hauler. Good news is I have plenty of time to plan for the trip. Do you have some suggestions for places to get away from the city slickers and tourists. I'd like to find some back roads and some hikes that I'm not passing people every 5 minutes.
I'll give it some thought and get back to you. If you want a more remote and primitive site I'd say CutBank Creek on the upper east side but I'm not sure a trailer would fit. I hadn't done any hikes in a while because they don't allow dogs in the backcountry. I'll ask my dad who has hiked there often and see what he says. I'll post something soon.

Last edited:
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I already have my sites booked at West Glacier RV and Cabins and East Glacier KOA. I can drive anywhere from those 2 places.

I don't mine a picture if you say something like Apekune Falls is a great hike here is a picture of the falls. That helps because I know to expect.
Or a hike to ...........Lake. Heres a picture of the lake.

BUT.....respectfully, I don't need pictures of flowers, wild animals, random scenery, road signs, entry signs, trees, buildings, people, dogs, or anything without context. It just doesn't help me and it doesn't help anyone else trying to follow along.

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sorry, it's one of my favorite places on earth

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I already have my sites booked at West Glacier RV and Cabins and East Glacier KOA. I can drive anywhere from those 2 places.

I don't mine a picture if you say something like Apekune Falls is a great hike here is a picture of the falls. That helps because I know to expect.
Or a hike to ...........Lake. Heres a picture of the lake.

BUT.....respectfully, I don't need pictures of flowers, wild animals, random scenery, road signs, entry signs, trees, buildings, people, dogs, or anything without context. It just doesn't help me and it doesn't help anyone else trying to follow along.
Copy that

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
video I posted was very informative and more along the lines of your requests for info

Reactions: Cuoutdoors

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!