P1000 Rig Down!!!!!

sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
I consider any loose bolts @ this point a dealer problem, seeing as how these things have been sketchy at best since the first 700's hit the road. I still can't get every unit to come in with the right number of bolts in the bag. We fortunately haven't had many loose bolts but several other stupid obvious stuff. The seat belt bolts are a dealer installed item, I find that no one taps these holes out before installing the bolts. Also those are the only standard size bolt on the entire machine. Took us awhile to find a tap since we kept trying to jam a metric one in it.

I've noticed some of the bolts on my 500 seem way over tightened. Usually these things are put on a with a calibrated nutrunner at the factory so not sure what is going on. I tried to take off my door latch assembly allen head bolt and could not break it loose, it was about to strip the head so I just left it alone...

Reactions: pct
walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I installed a winch on my P1000-5 this past weekend. The KFI mount requires you to remove 2 stock diff bracket bolts. One of mine was stripped. I think they overtorqued it at the factory.

Waylan

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I did notice that my pioneer 700-4 had some cross threaded bolt's on the seat belt that I had to fix because it wold rattle. I'm sure they may of did the same on the pioneer 1000.

H

HondaTech

Any allen bolt that gets torqued to anything is impossible to get loose, but it wouldn't be the first bolt we've had to fix because of over tightening. Our dsm seems to talk like maybe they dont use pre set machines for every bolt. So maybe the nut holding the wrench is the one whos over tightened

pct

pct

Lost in the hills
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 10, 2016
Letart WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well now I would think that at the top of everybodys list should be to check and torque all the bolts where can we fins the torque specs at

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
the threads should never be in the shear plane. it would not be designed that way. only way it shears in the threads like that is if the bolt was working its way out. you must have had a missing nut or a nut backed off.

Donnie

Donnie

Dec 18, 2015
SW Missouri
Yeah, definitely raised my eyebrow. I'm thinking a longer bolt to get the shoulder out there into the frame gusset for more meat. Then put a bushing over the threads so the nut can pull up tight.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I guess another possibility could be that the bolt was sheared by over torqueing the nut. In either case, I would consider it a quality control failure at the plant. glad it didn't get anyone hurt.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
the threads should never be in the shear plane. it would not be designed that way. only way it shears in the threads like that is if the bolt was working its way out. you must have had a missing nut or a nut backed off.

I'll have to go back and check but I think the threads where in the shear plane when I was installing the CATVOS. I may go get some grade 8 all thread or some metric all thread with a grade of 12.9 if I can find it. That would be a fairly inexpensive upgrade for a piece of mind. Of course, if this is the only one that happened then it may be a fluke.

advertisement
PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'll have to go back and check but I think the threads where in the shear plane when I was installing the CATVOS. I may go get some grade 8 all thread or some metric all thread with a grade of 12.9 if I can find it. That would be a fairly inexpensive upgrade for a piece of mind. Of course, if this is the only one that happened then it may be a fluke.
I've designed and analyzed many structural connections. No threads in the shear plane. I would lose my s#!t if honda designed it that way.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
P.S. I would not recommend allthread for that application. Needs a hardened bolt with threads on the end. Its ok if the threads go into the socket of the outside part, but they shouldnt extend into the space between the joined parts (the shear plane).

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
P.S. I would not recommend allthread for that application. Needs a hardened bolt with threads on the end. Its ok if the threads go into the socket of the outside part, but they shouldnt extend into the space between the joined parts (the shear plane).

That's true, I gotcha. How about I order some hardened rod and thread it myself?

Reactions: PioneerPete
ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
I've designed and analyzed many structural connections. No threads in the shear plane. I would lose my s#!t if honda designed it that way.
I don't why I thought this was funny but it made me laugh out loud.
Educational too - I'll never forget that rule now : "No threads in the shear plane"

I'd like to think that we will find out what happened here but not sure if the Honda engineers will share what they find.

Reactions: PioneerPete
pct

pct

Lost in the hills
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 10, 2016
Letart WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't why I thought this was funny but it made me laugh out loud.
Educational too - I'll never forget that rule now : "No threads in the shear plane"

I'd like to think that we will find out what happened here but not sure if the Honda engineers will share what they find.
I think that the bolt failed because if the nut came off you would think that it would rip the eye on the frame out before breaking just saying

pct

pct

Lost in the hills
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 10, 2016
Letart WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think that the bolt failed because if the nut came off you would think that it would rip the eye on the frame out before breaking just saying
How about a pic of the bolt head on looking at the end of the break

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
If you put a piece of all thread though the A-arm the bushings will wear out faster the you can say POPO from being cut into by the threads.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
If you put a piece of all thread though the A-arm the bushings will wear out faster the you can say POPO from being cut into by the threads.

Please see post 35.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Please see post 35.
You better get a tough die if your going to cut threads on a grade 12.9 rod I would make sue the die has a Rockwell hardness over 70 or it will be an expensive experiment.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
You better get a tough die if your going to cut threads on a grade 12.9 rod I would make sue the die has a Rockwell hardness over 70 or it will be an expensive experiment.

That's very true. I may have to get the guys at the shop to handle that for me. It may be over my head.

Our shop that builds our equipment and started our company is MaTech in Salisbury MD. They also manufacturer LWRC weapons. They are for sure qualified, but I may have run out of favors.

All this talk over what is potentially a one time issue. Oh well, I guess I'll get back to work. Don't get off until 7pm.

advertisement