CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
@Boundertom True to form in life, as soon as you got your version of drip control figured out, this old thread popped up that I had said I'd never be able to find. :rolleyes:

B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
@CID, thanks for pointing me to this thread. My "solution" is strictly a prototype! I put a wad of putty in each end and drilled 3- 1/4" holes in the rain gutter, so the water will drain onto the windshield. Now I see that someone else had the same idea. If it works OK, I will make a more elegant plug out of some black plastic I have on hand. Also might have to drill more holes, or make them bigger. Just missed getting to try this mod out today, north of Williams, AZ. :oops: Just got back to the Motorhome, and we have rain/hail coming down!

20210813 144119

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
@CID, thanks for pointing me to this thread. My "solution" is strictly a prototype! I put a wad of putty in each end and drilled 3- 1/4" holes in the rain gutter, so the water will drain onto the windshield. Now I see that someone else had the same idea. If it works OK, I will make a more elegant plug out of some black plastic I have on hand. Also might have to drill more holes, or make them bigger. Just missed getting to try this mod out today, north of Williams, AZ. :oops: Just got back to the Motorhome, and we have rain/hail coming down!

View attachment 289618
Prototypes beget follow up ideas, we have to start with something in order to know what works. Rough drafts get refinements, thanks for adding yours. I worked in the phone system and it wasn't unusual to be working with Issue 50, 60 or 70, every one being better that its predecessor.

Reactions: Boundertom
B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R

View attachment 289618
HEADS UP! Don't do what I did, unless you have a one piece windshield. I have a Super ATV flip windshield. I never got into any rain while riding. I just got around to washing the Talon today, after returning from my trip. As I sprayed water on the roof, it ran down into the gutter, and through my nice little holes. HOWEVER, the flip windshield has about a 3/16" gap between the top section and the flip section. The water ran through the holes, then through that gap and inside. It would be nicely distributed onto the driver and passenger. I should have been able to foresee that, but....... 🤷‍♂️ I guess I will plug those holes with a dab of silicone and go back to the drawing board.

• Sad
Reactions: Lil_Steve and CID
A

a94cobra

Dec 28, 2021
TX
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
Did you test that out yet. These are much needed item.

Reactions: Smitty335
R

RKwate

Jun 7, 2021
Idaho
Ownership

1. Talon x4
This is my solution. They're made from I think six separate pieces of sheet metal, and they're custom fit to my particular windshield. They took forever to make (cut, weld, grind...repeat...repeat again), but they work perfectly. I call them rain gutters. The water comes off the roof, into the gutter, and then exits down along the windshield rubber.

Honda rain gutter 1 Honda mirror Honda rain gutter 2

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
This is my solution. They're made from I think six separate pieces of sheet metal, and they're custom fit to my particular windshield. They took forever to make (cut, weld, grind...repeat...repeat again), but they work perfectly. I call them rain gutters. The water comes off the roof, into the gutter, and then exits down along the windshield rubber.

View attachment 314970 View attachment 314971 View attachment 314976
I like it!!! What are you getting for a set? Looks to me after years of watching this place, that Honda needs to hire their engineers from their customers….🤔

sspeederr

sspeederr

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 10, 2020
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I like it!!! What are you getting for a set? Looks to me after years of watching this place, that Honda needs to hire their engineers from their customers….🤔
Funny you say that they already do trust me they closely monitor social media to see what customers are doing

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Funny you say that they already do trust me they closely monitor social media to see what customers are doing
Oh yeah, that’s widely known. But water still drips onto your knee on the newest talon roof….😂😂😂

R

RKwate

Jun 7, 2021
Idaho
Ownership

1. Talon x4
No, no, no, I'm not making them to sell. I'm not a metal fabricator. I'm a lawyer, and trust me, you wouldn't like my hourly rate. I just posted them to show others what I came up with.

Moab_Marty

Moab_Marty

Jul 12, 2019
Moab + Western CO
Ownership

1. Talon R
After 4 iterations, I think i have a solution. Still need to field test it though. 3d printed them, put them in place, drilled holes, and screwed them in with 1/4-20 x 1/2" button head cap screws. Check out the pics. I'll put up the STL files tomorrow in case anybody else wants to p

After looking at your photos, It seems like you could benefit from some fender extensions !

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I'm wondering if the Tusk Wing Vents would divert the drip from the gutter away from dripping inside the cab? Anyone tried this? Apologize if it's already been asked and answered elsewhere.

Tusk Wing Vent from Rocky Mountain ATV

Think I'll buy some and see if it helps.

Steve

Last edited:
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I'm wondering if the Tusk Wing Vents would divert the drip from the gutter away from dripping inside the cab? Anyone tried this? Apologize if it's already been asked and answered elsewhere.

Tusk Wing Vent from Rocky Mountain ATV

Think I'll buy some and see if it helps.

Steve
Those sure look like they'd work to me. 👍

Reactions: stellarpod
F

Fyathyrio

Sep 24, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Those look like they sure could be annoying once covered in mud, though.

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Those look like they sure could be annoying once covered in mud, though.

I'm sure they could be for those who are mud inclined. We trail ride and are not particularly enthusiastic about mud-bogging. I just recall similar winglets that I had on my Goldwing that significantly improved airflow through the cockpit (the Goldwing can get pretty toasty in the summertime). That's what originally got my attention, a possible solution to improve airflow in warm weather. But they look like they might also help mitigate the dreaded roof drip.

Steve

Reactions: CID
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
This weekend we got sick of the side drizzle and just drilled two 1/2 holes about 1/4 way down on both sides as a quick fix for the weekend and it killed off most of the water with full windshield, wife was happy enough.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!