P1000 Roof rack Question

N

Nlviking

Apr 18, 2018
Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Hello all

been off the forum for a while as I have not been using the p1000 much these days. Different story.

curious has anyone every added roof bars to the OEM plastic roof. Was looking to haul around a small canoe(70 lbs) and was wondering if the roof is strong enough. Or should I mate to the roll cage underneath somehow.
thanks.
trev

not home at the moment so can’t send any pictures.

Reactions: TxDoc
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My wife and I regularly strap two kayaks onto the OE roof of our Honda Pioneer 1000-5. The roof has handled it well with no issues. Our two kayaks should weigh 70-80lbs together.

Do you use the 3 seater or the 5 seater?

N

NH Rider

May 8, 2022
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
At some point I want to mount the harbor freight luggage rack to the roof and take the pioneer on a camping trip. The hardtop roof was almost $900 there is no way I am strapping anything to it. I figure I will come up at four points from clamps on the roll cage and weld the tabs on the clamps or something. Maybe come across with some angle iron. I will likely put holes through the plastic to do it because I don't want anything sticking out past the plastic to get caught on a tree.

The holes are why I haven't done it yet lol. it is quite the predicament.

HondaRed16

HondaRed16

Oct 27, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is kind of similar to a clearance issue talked about yesterday. Why not get the Honda fiber roof for when you use the canoes or for that matter you could simply strap the canoes to the roll bar and use them for shade during transport?
Also another idea; you could get some of the plastic roll bar clamps to attach your rack system then remove them when not using the canoe. They are very simple and take about 60 seconds to clamp.

N

Nlviking

Apr 18, 2018
Canada
Ownership

1. 500
My wife and I regularly strap two kayaks onto the OE roof of our Honda Pioneer 1000-5. The roof has handled it well with no issues. Our two kayaks should weigh 70-80lbs together.

Do you use the 3 seater or the 5 seater?
We have the 5 seater

Reactions: Robobrainiac
N

Nlviking

Apr 18, 2018
Canada
Ownership

1. 500
We have the 5 seater

IMG 0099

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My roof has done well so far hauling around 2 kayaks. My only thought process would be 2 kayaks is 70lbs across the full width of the roof. While your canoe is 70lbs centered.

I feel really confident in saying you can't hurt the roof. Many people on here bang them up in all sorts of ways and they seem to bounce right back.

You could always throw the canoe up there and see what happens. I would think worst case scenario it might bend a roof bracket down. It won't break the roof.

D

dweber23tr

May 21, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The weight will be spread across the entire length of the roof so I wouldn't think it would be much of an issue. The roof itself is incredibly durable. I catch the back corners on trees once in a while making too tight of a corner and other than a loud bang when it catches, nothing is damaged-----yet