ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So if it only attaches at the hitch... doesn’t that make the added weight, effectively lower? All the weight and force in an off-camber situation is all low in the hitch receiver. Vs a rear tailgate style that attaches to the back rops. So shouldn’t the hitch style allow for better off camber performance?

Since the height above the vehicle center of gravity (CG) and the distance rearward of CG is the same, the effective change in vehicle CG is the same assuming the can is in the same spot and the mounts weighed the same. Putting the mount in the receiver hitch or ROPs is the not going to make a difference but the hitch mount will probably require the gascan to be further rearward and is probably heavier than mounting to the ROPs or rear seat since it requires more material. Adding weight behind the rear axle is not ideal since these things are so rear heavy but putting a gas can or spare tire up front is fairly inconvenient.

Cliff notes: neither mount has a mathematical advantage in stability if the end result is a similar mass in the same location

S

Superthrill

Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have laid one of my tires on the front hood several times trying to figure out how to get it mounted up front.

I really want it up front. The gas can actually may be easier to get up there since it is not as obstructive. A folding front mount hooked to the bumper.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Is that setup a slide in receiver setup?
Would love to see closer pics of that.

It does slide into the hitch and I ratchet tie it to the bumper to reduce the rattling. It had its advantages but also had some disadvantages. It gave me a place to carry fuel and spare tire when both kids are riding in the backend it’s light weight compared to a large rack. But it does not allow you to let the tailgate down. And it blocks one tail light if you’re not straight behind it.

Af9b3cad26beb64d75c7835453794b36

A303dde9431ba0a35a4bb618039754d5

D3cbcc50f2a03be8399b9de4c4c52d03

129511b59d034c1d6bee4be64913ec14

Aa4653fabc3500ad9ecbe5459be77d5a

499e6aaa1f2b4fca8d292781c3bf5526

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have laid one of my tires on the front hood several times trying to figure out how to get it mounted up front.

I really want it up front. The gas can actually may be easier to get up there since it is not as obstructive. A folding front mount hooked to the bumper.

I like to hit/bump stuff too much to hang it up front

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

All the fussing over spare tires and they’re used an incredibly rare amount of time.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So if it only attaches at the hitch... doesn’t that make the added weight, effectively lower? All the weight and force in an off-camber situation is all low in the hitch receiver. Vs a rear tailgate style that attaches to the back rops. So shouldn’t the hitch style allow for better off camber performance?
The hitch and tailgate are all part of the same solid frame system. My thought is where it's at will essentially have the same affect as if it were mounted to the tailgate.

Yes the torque is applied via the hitch mount. Without going into a long explanation about torque, leverage and moment of inertia etc. I'll just say I think it's the same.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: JTW
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
While that’s somewhat true... particularly after you put good tires on. You’re kinda f***ed if you need it and don’t have it!

I'm adding a spare because I ride with my wife and kids and we don't always have a second machine with us. Spare fuel and a spare tire might helps us get home, without walking

Reactions: Superthrill and JTW
J

JTW

Since the height above the vehicle center of gravity (CG) and the distance rearward of CG is the same, the effective change in vehicle CG is the same assuming the can is in the same spot and the mounts weighed the same. Putting the mount in the receiver hitch or ROPs is the not going to make a difference but the hitch mount will probably require the gascan to be further rearward and is probably heavier than mounting to the ROPs or rear seat since it requires more material. Adding weight behind the rear axle is not ideal since these things are so rear heavy but putting a gas can or spare tire up front is fairly inconvenient.

Cliff notes: neither mount has a mathematical advantage in stability if the end result is a similar mass in the same location
The hitch and tailgate are all part of the same solid frame system. My thought is where it's at will essentially have the same affect as if it were mounted to the tailgate.

Yes the torque is applied via the hitch mount. Without going into a long explanation about torque, leverage and moment of inertia etc. I'll just say I think it's the same.

That’s makes sense... I wasn’t thinking about them all being tied together. But as I say that... if you throw a spare tire in the bed vs on the roof there will be a difference. We all know lower weight is better weight. So I would think it would have to be “better” in the receiver unless the mechanical advantage of the leverage negates any of the benefits.

J

JTW

I'm adding a spare because I ride with my wife and kids and we don't always have a second machine with us. Spare fuel and a spare tire might helps us get home, without walking
I don’t disagree with ya... have you considered the tube idea as we now have beadlocks?

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don’t disagree with ya... have you considered the tube idea as we now have beadlocks?
Never really been a fan of tubes. I'm also not going to attempt to dismount a beadlock and break it down trail side with my wife and kids. First plan of attack will be plugs and ride back to the trailer. If that fails swap out the tire. If I had plugs in a tire on a long weekend trip I'd swap it out over night so we had 4 good tires for the next day.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
That’s makes sense... I wasn’t thinking about them all being tied together. But as I say that... if you throw a spare tire in the bed vs on the roof there will be a difference. We all know lower weight is better weight. So I would think it would have to be “better” in the receiver unless the mechanical advantage of the leverage negates any of the benefits.

Yes lower weight is absolutely better. However in this case the weight is in essentially the same place just bolted to a different piece of metal. It's on a bar right behind the tailgate instead of on the tailgate.

For your comparison sake it would be like if the spare was mounted 3ft high on a tripod in the bed of the machine VS. Mounted on the roof. The weight is in the same place just attached differently.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
While that’s somewhat true... particularly after you put good tires on. You’re kinda f***ed if you need it and don’t have it!
Oh it’s very true, I carry a box full of things to fix a flat in any way imaginable. I’ve done so now for 11 years, and a combined 10,000 miles and four different SXS’s, never have even pulled out a flat repair, let alone needed a spare. No criticism towards those that spend the money and the trouble to install a spare, but while I’m sure somebody somewhere has used their spare tire, of all the people I’ve rode with that have them, I’ve never seen one used.

Reactions: Deleted member 3748
J

JTW

Never really been a fan of tubes. I'm also not going to attempt to dismount a beadlock and break it down trail side with my wife and kids. First plan of attack will be plugs and ride back to the trailer. If that fails swap out the tire. If I had plugs in a tire on a long weekend trip I'd swap it out over night so we had 4 good tires for the next day.
I’m not either.. but that’s a lot of weight savings

Reactions: joeymt33
J

JTW

Oh it’s very true, I carry a box full of things to fix a flat in any way imaginable. I’ve done so now for 11 years, and a combined 10,000 miles and four different SXS’s, never have even pulled out a flat repair, let alone needed a spare. No criticism towards those that spend the money and the trouble to install a spare, but while I’m sure somebody somewhere has used their spare tire, of all the people I’ve rode with that have them, I’ve never seen one used.
I’ve needed one once on an overland ride... and luckily we had some spares in the group. I don’t know how many times we’ve had to plug tires and fix flats. It all depends on how and were you ride I suppose. I’m sure gravel getters and blacktop bandits don’t need them much.

Reactions: Bad_bowtie
J

JTW

Yes lower weight is absolutely better. However in this case the weight is in essentially the same place just bolted to a different piece of metal. It's on a bar right behind the tailgate instead of on the tailgate.

For your comparison sake it would be like if the spare was mounted 3ft high on a tripod in the bed of the machine VS. Mounted on the roof. The weight is in the same place just attached differently.

So it is the leverage then that’s acting as the multiplier on the lifted weight. It essentially acts like a breaker bar just applying the torque to the hitch. I get that but guess I need to look up the formula.

Reactions: Cuoutdoors
nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ve needed one once on an overland ride... and luckily we had some spares in the group. I don’t know how many times we’ve had to plug tires and fix flats. It all depends on how and were you ride I suppose. I’m sure gravel getters and blacktop bandits don’t need them much.

I can drive a LONG ways on a flat tire and wheel... especially when I don’t give a s*** if it’s destroyed or not... if wife and kids are with me, believe we will get back one way or another. I don’t give a crap about the machine....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J

JTW

I can drive a LONG ways on a flat tire and wheel... especially when I don’t give a s*** if it’s destroyed or not... if wife and kids are with me, believe we will get back one way or another. I don’t give a crap about the machine....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ve pretty much already discovered that about you!

Reactions: joeymt33 and nbomar
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So it is the leverage then that’s acting as the multiplier on the lifted weight. It essentially acts like a breaker bar just applying the torque to the hitch. I get that but guess I need to look up the formula.

This calculator and explanation might help. This only covers the CG on one plane but it makes it simple to understand
How to Calculate Center of Gravity

If you have scale pads and you really want to have fun this would be helpful
Technical Articles

Status
Not open for further replies.
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!