ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Oh it’s very true, I carry a box full of things to fix a flat in any way imaginable. I’ve done so now for 11 years, and a combined 10,000 miles and four different SXS’s, never have even pulled out a flat repair, let alone needed a spare. No criticism towards those that spend the money and the trouble to install a spare, but while I’m sure somebody somewhere has used their spare tire, of all the people I’ve rode with that have them, I’ve never seen one used.

I've been on rides with 8 to 10 machines and had a flat on more than half the machines. I think the most plugs we installed on a single day at trip was 7. Every stop it felt like we were fixing a tire. I have had zero flats on the Pioneer but I've been prepared with CO2 and plugs

J

JTW

I've been on rides with 8 to 10 machines and had a flat on more than half the machines. I think the most plugs we installed on a single day at trip was 7. Every stop it felt like we were fixing a tire. I have had zero flats on the Pioneer but I've been prepared with CO2 and plugs
It’s that whole having it and not needing it thing! I’ll at least have spares in the truck or at camp.

Reactions: ToddACimer
D

Deleted member 3748

It’s that whole having it and not needing it thing! I’ll at least have spares in the truck or at camp.
Right. I could have repaired it and made everyone wait 30 minutes or more while I tried to get the tire to seat on the rim. Or change it in 5 minutes and be back on the trail.

Reactions: JTW and ToddACimer
D

Deleted member 3748

I want my Rotopax as far away from the passengers as possible. I'm going to come up with a way to mount it to my new hitch mounted spare tire carrier. Preferably on the rear side of the tire... still thinking about the details. It may be more susceptible to damage back there but we had a guy burn to death from rolling and his gas can spraying fuel all over him. Thankfully, I wasn't on that ride and just heard about it.

J

JTW

I want my Rotopax as far away from the passengers as possible. I'm going to come up with a way to mount it to my new hitch mounted spare tire carrier. Preferably on the rear side of the tire... still thinking about the details. It may be more susceptible to damage back there but we had a guy burn to death from rolling and his gas can spraying fuel all over him. Thankfully, I wasn't on that ride and just heard about it.
f***, I’d have bought tickets! Sucks for him and his family... but that would have been something to see!

D

Deleted member 3748

f***, I’d have bought tickets! Sucks for him and his family... but that would have been something to see!
Capture2

Reactions: Montecresto
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Holy s***. That's terrible.

So the further away it is, then the more exposed it is also. So really the same scenario could happen even if further away. Perhaps having it inside another container/hard box etc. would be better or have a canvas cover or something that could protect it....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Deleted member 3748
D

Deleted member 3748

Holy s***. That's terrible.

So the further away it is, then the more exposed it is also. So really the same scenario could happen even if further away. Perhaps having it inside another container/hard box etc. would be better or have a canvas cover or something that could protect it....

I know... it's a tough one. Out back it's more exposed to breaking but mounted on the roll cage it's too close. Maybe on the inside of the tailgate.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I’ve needed one once on an overland ride... and luckily we had some spares in the group. I don’t know how many times we’ve had to plug tires and fix flats. It all depends on how and were you ride I suppose. I’m sure gravel getters and blacktop bandits don’t need them much.
Haven’t seen much gravel, and no blacktop. Take a poll. Hundreds of thousands of miles traveled by members of this forum alone. Most people leave a spare at camp. The trouble and expense of a spare tire for people who ride trails as most people do will not require a spare. Now, start doing cross country, and it’s all a different story.

Reactions: Deleted member 3748
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I know... it's a tough one. Out back it's more exposed to breaking but mounted on the roll cage it's too close. Maybe on the inside of the tailgate.
Do you have people in back? I'd try to get it flat against the bottom of the bed. Makes me rethink my fuel situation.

You can't avoid everything though sometimes when it's your time to go it's your time to go.

Reactions: JTW
J

JTW

Haven’t seen much gravel, and no blacktop. Take a poll. Hundreds of thousands of miles traveled by members of this forum alone. Most people leave a spare at camp. The trouble and expense of a spare tire for people who ride trails as most people do will not require a spare. Now, start doing cross country, and it’s all a different story.
I won’t disagree with that.. but even if at the truck or camp and with a group, a spare is a good thing to have. There’s a reason every vehicle sold comes with a spare.

D

Deleted member 3748

Do you have people in back? I'd try to get it flat against the bottom of the bed. Makes me rethink my fuel situation.

You can't avoid everything though sometimes when it's your time to go it's your time to go.

I have a 2-seater with a dump box. I had it mounted in the middle of the box but when I added the spare tire carrier I decided to put it out there. But now that this thread, and you, got me thinking about it, the inside of the tailgate is probably the best place.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Oh I’ve been prepared too as I said. But spares are over rated.

D

Deleted member 3748

Now you got me thinking about it again. Flat against the bottom of the bed and I could put a cooler or something on top of it. Thanks!!

Reactions: Cuoutdoors
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!