Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
If the valves are not "noisy" then it is just an oil change with a few minor checks you can do yourself.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I appreciate it.

I don't have the dexterity in my left fingers, from a stroke to manipulate small nuts and bolts. I can change my truck's oil, but that's a one handed job.

I'm have to get the dealer to do it

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
Nah, I do all that with no left fingers :) so you can definitely do it! It's a damned mess no matter how many hands you've got so I don't blame anyone that has someone else do that job.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm trying to get faster and more efficient at the P1K oil changes, but I'm telling you, they're ugly.

There aren't many truly pleasant oil changes, but the P1K is just slow, dirty and inconvenient.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well I started retiring when I was 53, quit working Mondays 'cause that was just too busy at work. Tuesdays then got bad, so quit them too. After a few years it was down to 3 hours on Thursday to say, "Hi" and sign checks. :c) That was 23 years ago. 76 now and just work around the house, at my hobby machine shop etc. Still do most all my vehicle maintenance, though I've slowed down a bit and don't get as much done each day!

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm trying to get faster and more efficient at the P1K oil changes, but I'm telling you, they're ugly.

There aren't many truly pleasant oil changes, but the P1K is just slow, dirty and inconvenient.
Dave,

I was planning on sucking as much oil out as possible, then draining the remainder. One "trick" I learned for the hydraulic fluid on my Kubota tractor is to attach a shop vac to the filler. This results in almost no fluid coming out of the drain until you disconnect the vac - this works especially well when changing the tractor's spin-on filter which occurs both at and between hydraulic fluid changes.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Dave,

I was planning on sucking as much oil out as possible, then draining the remainder. One "trick" I learned for the hydraulic fluid on my Kubota tractor is to attach a shop vac to the filler. This results in almost no fluid coming out of the drain until you disconnect the vac - this works especially well when changing the tractor's spin-on filter which occurs both at and between hydraulic fluid changes.
Pretty sure the P1k holds about 14 quarts in the 2 filters regardless of what you do. When you do get the filter cover off and you've got what you think is a fool-proof chute to the oil drain pan, that f***ing cap, a 10mm bolt, or some random O-Ring will fall into the pan or knock your cute little oil chute over and 330 gallons of oil shoot onto your garage floor.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Pretty sure the P1k holds about 14 quarts in the 2 filters regardless of what you do. When you do get the filter cover off and you've got what you think is a fool-proof chute to the oil drain pan, that f***ing cap, a 10mm bolt, or some random O-Ring will fall into the pan or knock your cute little oil chute over and 330 gallons of oil shoot onto your garage floor.

So, I guess what I'm hearing is that a breast pump won't be of much use, huh?

TexasJackKin

TexasJackKin

Nov 22, 2020
Dayton, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just recently changed oil on the wife's Honda Pilot, have always let the dealer do it as it seems like that's only about $10 more than doing it yourself..... But the dealer was booked up until sometime in the next century, so had to do it myself, wasn't too bad.... Looking at the Pioneer, it looks like a mess, (Haven't done it yet) but less of a hassle than putting on the trailer, towing it to Reno, paying what they want..... I'm sure I'll end up doing it myself.....

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just recently changed oil on the wife's Honda Pilot, have always let the dealer do it as it seems like that's only about $10 more than doing it yourself..... But the dealer was booked up until sometime in the next century, so had to do it myself, wasn't too bad.... Looking at the Pioneer, it looks like a mess, (Haven't done it yet) but less of a hassle than putting on the trailer, towing it to Reno, paying what they want..... I'm sure I'll end up doing it myself.....

Then, with the procedure still fresh in the ol' brain, you can stop by and I'll give you ten bucks cash money to do mine ~ deal?

TexasJackKin

TexasJackKin

Nov 22, 2020
Dayton, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was thinking something along the lines of a $10 gold piece..... U.S. minted.....

Reactions: ChadD

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!