P500 Running wires for light bars

Chumpy

Chumpy

Dec 5, 2020
Winter Haven Florida
Ownership

1. 500
I have a 2020 P 500, purchased Honda accessory harness and Led lights from Amazon.

Question, has anyone ran the wire to your Led lights inside the roll cage pipe? Or what are the options besides zip tie to roll bars in the sheathing?

thanks in advance

Peter_72

Peter_72

Supporting Member
May 31, 2020
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
I don’t have them but one of the guys I ride with ran the wires for his reverse lights and speakers through the cage. He drilled holes just big enough for the wires and used a fish tape to pull them through. He sealed the holes with black RTV.

Reactions: Smitty335
hallic

hallic

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2019
Central MN
Ownership

1. 500
I was thinking about doing that too, but am worried about drilling holes in something designed to potentially save my life...
So I went with cable sheathing and zip ties to the cage.

PJ1

PJ1

FIREBALL P-500
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 20, 2020
Massachusetts
Ownership

1. 500
Yep I didn't want to drill the cage. I bought 2" wide electrical tape to secure the sheathed cables to the cage along with a strategic zip tie or two. Works good and don't really see it.
Occasionally I'll scrape some tape on a tree and just re tape as necessary. Good luck.

Olaf

Olaf

Aug 18, 2019
Mn
Ownership

1. 500
I didn't want to drill either, mine is in sheathing and held on with some electrical tape and black rtv, 20201208 182714 seems to hold up fairly well.

P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
Use Caution you may want to run the wires out side of cage tubing.
The inside of the cage tubing could have rough edges along with the sharp edge on both sides of the drilled holes could create future problem Wires will move with every bump.
Depending on how thick the insulation is on the wire is will determan how long it takes to wear through.
Put in plastic flexable loom attach with zip ties.
There is someone that already had wires rubbing throug at the back of motor.

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I have ran wires inside a few cages now. Fish them through and use rubber or plastic grommets on the holes you drill so the wires dont chafe. If you get in a bad enough crash to where the roll bars would break off because of a few little holes you drilled, you werent gonna survive that crash anyway even without holes in the cage.

P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
Use Caution you may want to run the wires out side of cage tubing.
The inside of the cage tubing could have rough edges along with the sharp edge on both sides of the drilled holes could create future problem Wires will move with every bump.
Depending on how thick the insulation is on the wire is will determan how long it takes to wear through.
Put in plastic or rubber flexable loom attach with zip ties.
There is someone that already had wires rubbing throug at the back of motor.

Reactions: Smitty335
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
My Polaris ACE has ROPS holes for installing an overhead radio so it must be OK for their lawyers. Honda should have done the same. The radio wires are in a protective sheath. Rubber grommets is a good suggestion. Had to use a wire to fish the power leads.

B

BillyC

Aug 2, 2020
Southeast MO
Ownership

1. 500
I went to the outside of the cage with mine. I used black household extension cords from Walmart so they would match the cage, and used black zip ties. I have two sets of wires going up my LH front post to my switch panel, which I mounted to the front overhead cross tube. All of my wiring going to my individual lights are attached to the top tubes and are pretty much hidden by the roof. I have 2 lights shining to the front, 2 to the rear, and one out of each side. Each light is controlled individually.

Reactions: Mudder

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!