P500 rust repair/prevention, need to remove pioneer 500 fuel tank

T

tlynn

Sep 25, 2017
wimauma fl
Ownership

1. 500
another thing I found out. To safeguard against theft, I would leave the p500 in gear when I shut it off. You can't roll it and you can't put in neutral without the key. But that threw the computer in a tissy at start up and had to disconnect the battery to reset it. I'm thinking I can rig a parking lock that might work.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Great job @tlynn.
Ya, that's good bit of rust. Going through that trouble. Do it right and only once for sure.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

R

Rustell

another thing I found out. To safeguard against theft, I would leave the p500 in gear when I shut it off. You can't roll it and you can't put in neutral without the key. But that threw the computer in a tissy at start up and had to disconnect the battery to reset it. I'm thinking I can rig a parking lock that might work.
I park the same way.... never had any problems with the computer. Just put my foot on the brake and turn the key.

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I always turn the key and shift into neutral, then roll it over. I've never tried pushing the brake.
I try & down shift...knowing
I'm shut in it down...but if it's
After 420...no telling
...but I have habit of ..foot on
Brake..to start..my last 3 trucks

Reactions: R-Lamm and trigger
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I did consider Hondasxa advice and just paint what I can see and let it go, but I'm retired and have the time to dig in further, just not sure its worth it. But I keep my stuff a long time and I hate rust. Old45 that sounds like a good idea, greasy rags, has anyone used the expandable foam sealer in a can to fill the tubes?
I used foam...cause my plugs kept
falling out..I foamed um..then smoothed
with sandpaper...filled small holes with
paintable..caulking..painted
done

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hey guys, I use this one some things I want to protect. It seems to work great. Leaves a thick film.

034b7a7fccd976b7b466a58efc2b0cd4

Reactions: trigger and rocmar
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Big brown truck delivered order of Tube Seal (made for aircraft frames). Ready to treat inside of frame. Apply 2 cc per foot length of 1.5 inch diameter tube, 1.5 cc/ft of 1 inch tube. MIL Spec L-21260, climbs wall of tubing. Going to try to rig a sprayer with air compressor. Had this parts cleaner attachment lying around for years but never used yet.
PS, never had a problem starting a 2017 in 2nd gear with brake pedal, it automatically downshifts upon stopping.

IMG 0577 IMG 0578

Last edited:
Reactions: rocmar and trigger
T

tlynn

Sep 25, 2017
wimauma fl
Ownership

1. 500
50% of the time after shutting down in gear, and only when starting a day or two later, the instrument display would not function properly, no gear position display, fuel pump would not come on, no starter movement (foot on brake) and could not shift to neutral. I called Honda, they checked owners manual and told me the page number for page shut down, there it is, shut down in neutral.

Reactions: rocmar
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
50% of the time after shutting down in gear, and only when starting a day or two later, the instrument display would not function properly, no gear position display, fuel pump would not come on, no starter movement (foot on brake) and could not shift to neutral. I called Honda, they checked owners manual and told me the page number for page shut down, there it is, shut down in neutral.
@tlynn , If it were me, I would press them on a problem, especially since it only happens 50% versus 100 % of time. Suspect bad intermittent electrical connection screwing with computer, or a clutch adjustment (had your display issue once when I over adjusted the clutch). Try posting a new thread to see how common it is. Never had this issue since and always leave in gear on shut down. Good luck.

advertisement
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
@tlynn , check out problem and fix from @Pawnman87 , P500 - Wont shift or start. Good post with pictures on electrical wire rubbing.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!