P500 rust repair/prevention, need to remove pioneer 500 fuel tank

T

tlynn

Sep 25, 2017
wimauma fl
Ownership

1. 500
I have been chasing rust on my 2015 p500. Its not bad but seems certain places don't have a good primer so the paint just bubbles off. I clean and spot spray with rust reformer then black enamel. My problem now is the metal plate under the fuel tank is 75% rust and I cant remove it to repaint, its welded to the frame in two places. Does anyone now how to remove the fuel tank? I have tried to remove the tank out the top but it won't move to the center enough get thru the seat frame. I cant even get it back over and down to its original location. I thought it may help to remove the plastic side panel, so I started removing the door hinge bolts (panel is behind hing plate), with a lot of force I got the top one out using 5mm alen, the other three striped out the head of the bolt, would not budge even with manual impact driver.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Hello,
My best advice is fix the visible rust and don't worry about the rest. It's pointless as the entire inside of the frame is rusted even worse then what you are describing.

Also, be advised that after a water ride or deep washing you will have rust drips. It's common. Soon these drip spots will clog up and stop dripping. I'm sorry to say this but you can't stop it.

Every Honda has been this way. I remember a rancher I owned. We wrecked it and wanted to save the engine. Doing so we just cut it out. The frame was full of sand and muck. Rust was bad but nowhere did it rust through.

My best advice is is hard to swallow but it's what you will end go doing anyways. And advice is to get some mud on the tires and forget about it.

Wish you luck.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Reactions: rocmar
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Realize I didn't answer your question. I had to find something to show you.

Removal of the tank on a 500 is not a simple job. Again. take my advice above.
But, if you want to repaint that area you will have to take the whole right side apart.
Here are 2 pictures of another guy who removed his tank so he could exert a broken screw from the oil cap.
*** warning about the oil cap, do not over torque it. It will break.***
31070 62828c8703a89a40a7ebba34512dfca2
31069 318cab7d0bf5372761826df5e7026b35

Well, hope that helps you make a decision.
Thanks.

Reactions: NPN and Chooglin
pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
I have done it, to put that cage side back on you will need ratchet straps and pull on it like it's on a body shop frame straightener. I would never do it again.

Reactions: Hondasxs
O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
When my machine was new I pushed rags full of grease through all the frame tubes I could get to to slow rust down. Time will tell if it was worth the effort.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Maybe attach a support plate from the bottom if it would be easier, only you know if it is worth the trouble, but tend to agree with @Hondasxs.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I have been chasing rust on my 2015 p500. Its not bad but seems certain places don't have a good primer so the paint just bubbles off. I clean and spot spray with rust reformer then black enamel. My problem now is the metal plate under the fuel tank is 75% rust and I cant remove it to repaint, its welded to the frame in two places. Does anyone now how to remove the fuel tank? I have tried to remove the tank out the top but it won't move to the center enough get thru the seat frame. I cant even get it back over and down to its original location. I thought it may help to remove the plastic side panel, so I started removing the door hinge bolts (panel is behind hing plate), with a lot of force I got the top one out using 5mm alen, the other three striped out the head of the bolt, would not budge even with manual impact driver.

Yeah those hinge bolts are a b***h! It's almost like they're a special head size, 5mm fits loose and they're tight as hell. I've had to take them out twice and don't plan to ever do it again.

T

tlynn

Sep 25, 2017
wimauma fl
Ownership

1. 500
I did consider Hondasxa advice and just paint what I can see and let it go, but I'm retired and have the time to dig in further, just not sure its worth it. But I keep my stuff a long time and I hate rust. Old45 that sounds like a good idea, greasy rags, has anyone used the expandable foam sealer in a can to fill the tubes?

Reactions: rocmar
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
has anyone used the expandable foam sealer in a can to fill the tubes?
YES.. Dont do it.
My problem was, there was not enough free air and it did not process like it should down the tubes. If you hate rust. Try to remove that stuff.
Also, I believe it might hold water even more.

Reactions: pFive
pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
If you are really worried just take it in and get the wax based material sprayed inside the frame tubes...Or make a bug sprayer with a longer tube and spray the insides with WD-40 a few times a season.

Reactions: chrisC
advertisement
T

tlynn

Sep 25, 2017
wimauma fl
Ownership

1. 500
I got the side rail off, refinished the plate and have it back on with all the bolts in, not tight yet. I had most of the bolts out of the seat rail too, got them back with one left over, will be working on that tomorrow. Hope I find where to put the 31 rivets I have out. I fixed the notorious loose battery cover too. will send some pics later.
If I had bought this p500 new, before any rust developed, I would have rigged a long spray hose to apply foam to the far end of the tubes first and fill as the hose is pulled out, or at least use a good rust prof paint.

Last edited:
Reactions: chrisC and Hondasxs
moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I got the side rail off, refinished the plate and have it back on with all the bolts in, not tight yet. I had most of the bolts out of the seat rail too, got them back with one left over, will be working on that tomorrow. Hope I find where to put the 31 rivets I have out. I fixed the notorious loose battery cover too. will send some pics later.
If I had bought this p500 new, before any rust developed, I would have rigged a long spray hose to apply foam to the far end of the tubes first and fill as the hose is pulled out, or at least use a good rust prof paint.
Foam holds water and will make it rust out faster. Best thing would be to fill a pump sprayer with old motor oil and spray it down all the tubes once a year. Maybe twice if you go underwater alot. It'll never rust then.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Google search for rustproofing tube frames found this product from an aircraft site. MIL spec certified for aircraft frame tubing. Many other forum sites (boats, car restoration, racing bikes) noted not to use foam due to moisture trap.
POLY-FIBER TUBE SEAL LINE OIL from Aircraft Spruce (creeps up around pipe) Just ordered a pint, $14. No promo codes currently available. Plan to use air compressor (liquid) parts cleaning wand to spray mist in SxS and ATV. We'll see how it works....

Other stuff listed:
Corrosion Treatment from Aircraft Spruce

Last edited:
chrisC

chrisC

Lifetime Member
Jul 4, 2015
Newfoundland, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
I wouldn't use foam. It tends to keep the moisture rather than do away with it.
I've used use "Rust Check". It travels or creeps ,and will actually go uphill. I give a spray down in the tubes regularly. Another good product is "Fluid Film" however it doesn't "creep" as much as the rust check. The product that Mudder showed looked great as well.
We have a lot of corrosion around here. I wish it was only the inside of the tubes i was concerned about 20170901 174138 20170901 174151

There was a recent thread about this
Paint coming off

Reactions: Mudder
Buford

Buford

May 9, 2016
U.S.A.
It's too bad the idiots that make the manufacturing decisions don't have a clue how important it is to do proper metal prep to the frame and chassis components.
If my frame or ROPS ever shows signs of the paint flaking loose, I'll tear it totally apart, sandblast it, and use products that I can guarantee will be far superior to their "environmentally friendly" crap.

Reactions: rocmar and chrisC
T

tlynn

Sep 25, 2017
wimauma fl
Ownership

1. 500
20170926 145058loose paint, I got cow poop
that sticks better than this.
20170926 144022 top of plate with only loose paint removed
20170926 150153 after removing side rail assembly this
is the bottom of plate.20170926 144022 20170926 150153 20170926 160201 20170927 160715 20170926 145058
20170926 144022
20170926 150153
loose paint removed20170926 160201 cleaned and painted20170927 160715 2 coats of enamel
with Rust Reformer, get it at Home Depot or Walmart.

T

tlynn

Sep 25, 2017
wimauma fl
Ownership

1. 500
Well, after looking at removing the side/door frame like Hondasxs mentioned and the trouble getting it off, I called the local Honda dealer, the mechanic said I'd have to remove the seat frame to get the tank out. I also considered Hsxs advice,,,, often, but the seat frame looked easier because all I had to do was loosen it enough to raise one side up about two inches, that gave me enough room to position the tank right under the opening in the frame. Then a half inch of the seat support was in the way, Mr Makita fixed that and the tank was out.

But in order to clean up and paint the bottom plate like I want to, its gotta come out. Thought of cutting it out leaving about 1 inch left on the tubing to drill and bolt the plate back in, a lot of work, its welded to the tubing in three places. I'm in too far now for Hondasxs advice

There must be a name for this kind of reasoning, that just a little more.........a thousand times is just....still a little more. So I removed the side rail with the plated attached to it. I should be ashamed of my self for letting a little rust do that, but I'm glad I did as the paint was pealing bad. The metal probably had machine oil on it when it was painted, same as any other polaris, articat, or canam, my ford, the Dodge I had, my camper, my lawn mower, my tractor, anything made here or overseas. I keep my stuff a long time and I don't like rust.
Thanks everyone for you replies and comments, lots of good ideas.

Last edited:
Reactions: moparornocar
T

tlynn

Sep 25, 2017
wimauma fl
Ownership

1. 500
My battery box cover does not stay shut on the front side, so I drilled a hole in the plastic and put in a screw with a washer welded on the head so I don't need a tool to remove, painted yellow so I don't forget its there:rolleyes:

20170927 115826 20170929 145507

Reactions: moparornocar
moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looks a helluva lot better. The rocker tubes on my p1k are doing the same thing in places. Eventually I figure they will need blasted and painted.

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Foam holds water and will make it rust out faster. Best thing would be to fill a pump sprayer with old motor oil and spray it down all the tubes once a year. Maybe twice if you go underwater alot. It'll never rust then.
Pledge...furniture polish....
few times in winter...helps
& smells good....
haha

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!