P1000 Rust

F

FloridaPath

Mar 23, 2021
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well just got off the phone with my dealer and they said they would not cover that under the extended warranty. I store this in a barn that is covered and it is rinsed off after any ride where there is mud. I have never even road this in the rain. If it starts looking like it is going to rain I go park it.To rust this bad in less then 8 months is concerning. Under warranty info it says frame is covered. But they said it would be considered environmental.

• Angry
Reactions: Biteme and fernandw
Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Well just got off the phone with my dealer and they said they would not cover that under the extended warranty. I store this in a barn that is covered and it is rinsed off after any ride where there is mud. I have never even road this in the rain. If it starts looking like it is going to rain I go park it.To rust this bad in less then 8 months is concerning. Under warranty info it says frame is covered. But they said it would be considered environmental.
I would consider it s*** steel and s*** paint, plus sloppy welding.

Take a look at the Yamaha Wolverine frame and compare.

Reactions: Biteme and ChadD
Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I live in the rust belt. For us you can't escape it. I also run my machines in the winter. The pioneer has a plow and spends some time with 250± salt in the bed. When I clean it I wash off what I can and call it good. Currently both the talon and pioneer set outside. The talon isn't rusting yet but has the aluminum oxidation on the engine and diffs. I've considered fluid film but never followed through. I will agree the pioneer already has more rust than my 06 rancher that's lived with a plow on it.

Reactions: Biteme and ChadD
F

FloridaPath

Mar 23, 2021
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Called hondacare. They said rust is cosmetic, I said on the frame that would be structural if it rusts through it will fall apart. But he disagreed. Kinda funny in the warranty info it says frame is covered.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Called hondacare. They said rust is cosmetic, I said on the frame that would be structural if it rusts through it will fall apart. But he disagreed. Kinda funny in the warranty info it says frame is covered.
Unfortunately he is right. Its not there fault u ride in the environment u do. The frame is warranted buy manufacturers defect as in bad weld, then metal and broke (from manufacturing and will need to be Miked for thickness) same goes with automotive frame warranties. If u lived in Mi where I live you would be $hitting bricks with how the road salt eats at a frame the first year from purchase. They would be bankrupted if they warranted them. Does it look bad and should have Honda and others take steps to make them better? Yes. The good outweighs the bad in this case to them and many others.
I have a 16' P1 and its done that since the first yr. I painted it with rustoleum and wd 40 every yr and and been fine. its not just that area too. Just wait till the paint goes away on the frame where the tilt bed hits the frame lol.

F

FloridaPath

Mar 23, 2021
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Unfortunately he is right. Its not there fault u ride in the environment u do. The frame is warranted buy manufacturers defect as in bad weld, then metal and broke (from manufacturing and will need to be Miked for thickness) same goes with automotive frame warranties. If u lived in Mi where I live you would be $hitting bricks with how the road salt eats at a frame the first year from purchase. They would be bankrupted if they warranted them. Does it look bad and should have Honda and others take steps to make them better? Yes. The good outweighs the bad in this case to them and many others.
I have a 16' P1 and its done that since the first yr. I painted it with rustoleum and wd 40 every yr and and been fine. its not just that area too. Just wait till the paint goes away on the frame where the tilt bed hits the frame lol.
No crap where stuff makes contact with other areas metal to metal. I am expecting that 🙄. And yes if I lived somewhere where salt was used all over the roads. But this is not one of those cases.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
No crap where stuff makes contact with other areas metal to metal. I am expecting that 🙄. And yes if I lived somewhere where salt was used all over the roads. But this is not one of those cases.
Ok. You asked the question and opened it up for opinions. I know your upset but simmer down! Were all friends here trying to help. Wasnt trying to make u look like a fool, that wasnt my intent. Your not there yet lol.
You havent even said what you ride in so know what kind of grime u get in there? Fyi, i powerwash the hell out of those holes and I swear there’s still crap in there that never gets out and Im sure is causing the rust.

Dezrik

Dezrik

Follow me for adventure!
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2018
MOAB, Utahhhhhhhh
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can tell you that I brought my Machine from Utah/WY and it didn't have a spec of rust, Ive only been here for 2 months and it looks like it was at the bottom of the sea and I haven't drove it once since I bought it here.

Last edited:
F

FloridaPath

Mar 23, 2021
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok. You asked the question and opened it up for opinions. I know your upset but simmer down! Were all friends here trying to help. Wasnt trying to make u look like a fool, that wasnt my intent. Your not there yet lol.
You havent even said what you ride in so know what kind of grime u get in there? Fyi, i powerwash the hell out of those holes and I swear there’s still crap in there that never gets out and Im sure is causing the rust.
Sorry, maybe I read your comment harsher then it was intended. I had said earlier i do ride in mud but not often mostly trails. If we go into mud it is usually washed that day. Never in water past the floorboards. I have a early 2000 z400 thats frame isn't this bad... and I didnt baby it as much as this.

F

FloridaPath

Mar 23, 2021
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can tell you that I brought my Machine from Utah/WY and it didn't have a spec of rust, Ive only been here for 2 months and it looks like it was at the bottom of the sea and I haven't drove it once since I bought it here.
Thats crazy. Guess I will have to get some of the stuff recommended here and hope for the best. Kinda sucks spending this much money and its already rusting up.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Unfortunately, in Florida rubber, plastic, glass, and even cardboard will rust if your buggy is driven on the beaches and then pariked without a thorough fresh water wash down.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Sorry, maybe I read your comment harsher then it was intended. I had said earlier i do ride in mud but not often mostly trails. If we go into mud it is usually washed that day. Never in water past the floorboards. I have a early 2000 z400 thats frame isn't this bad... and I didnt baby it as much as this.
All good bud!
Maybe this will help but i dont know cuz I dont live there. But in my Trade HVAC we talk to the Carrier rep about system longevity. Up here an AC will get about 20yrs give or take out of it. He tells us and other reps as well plus customers that have winter homes in FL say they get roughly 10yrs out of them there cuz of the salt in the air causing corrosion. Maybe food for thought?
What say u @Smitty335

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Bottom line is, they are using cheap steel and coatings. I have seen better quality on Chinese knock offs.
You mean like this one! 🤣
62762325 4933 4B30 A4EB 8FA67B25130C

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
All good bud!
Maybe this will help but i dont know cuz I dont live there. But in my Trade HVAC we talk to the Carrier rep about system longevity. Up here an AC will get about 20yrs give or take out of it. He tells us and other reps as well plus customers that have winter homes in FL say they get roughly 10yrs out of them there cuz of the salt in the air causing corrosion. Maybe food for thought?
What say u @Smitty335
We don't salt down any tankless water heaters after installs! But availability has gotten a lot better. The Rinnai units we install are made in Japan not China.

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!