P1000 Rust

NorthernJoe

NorthernJoe

Feb 10, 2021
Northern Ontario
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well as much as this sucks, I guess I'm going to look into some suggestions here and do some searching of the forums and see what people are doing. Going so be difficult to get down that square tube. Hope other people don't have this issue. And if they do they find this post and maybe can gather something from it to help.
Do they have undercoating shops in Florida? if not you could buy a cheap undercoating gun, They have a 4' flexible tube with a 360 degree spray nozzle on the end, you could put that every frame tube and spray the oily/waxy undercoating on the inside of your frame, and keep touching up the rust on the outside. when I work on mine I have a can of Rustoleum and spray any scratches or rust spots to keep ahead of it.. I agree we shouldn't have to do this on a new maintained machine but that's what it has come to

Ridinfool

Ridinfool

NTC’ s special Ed student of the year
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
All good bud!
Maybe this will help but i dont know cuz I dont live there. But in my Trade HVAC we talk to the Carrier rep about system longevity. Up here an AC will get about 20yrs give or take out of it. He tells us and other reps as well plus customers that have winter homes in FL say they get roughly 10yrs out of them there cuz of the salt in the air causing corrosion. Maybe food for thought?
What say u @Smitty335
I lived in Fla most of my life, and like @Remington said salt is everywhere. It’s worse if you live close to the coast. Salt is a huge challenge living in Fla and there ain’t much you can do but keep after it.
I agree it sucks that Honda knowing how these buggies are used doesn’t do a better job with this issue.
Also I like what @NorthernJoe said 👇👇
Do they have undercoating shops in Florida? if not you could buy a cheap undercoating gun, They have a 4' flexible tube with a 360 degree spray nozzle on the end, you could put that every frame tube and spray the oily/waxy undercoating on the inside of your frame, and keep touching up the rust on the outside. when I work on mine I have a can of Rustoleum and spray any scratches or rust spots to keep ahead of it.. I agree we shouldn't have to do this on a new maintained machine but that's what it has come to

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Has anyone looked into zinc or magnesium blocks that are used in the marine industry to fight corrosion.
Zinc sacrificial anodes will only work if you have an outboard motor on your side-by-side.

Okay, seriously, unless the object, to be protected along with the anode, is submerged in the same conductive fluid (e.g. salt or water with impurities so it'll conduct), as soon as you get out of the water the area protected by the anode will be relatively small. The anode behaves as a battery, and being a less noble metal, corrodes before the metal you are trying to protect. The puddle you are in is the "battery electrolyte". So in order to have this work you'd have to have anodes in all the areas that remain wet once you reach dry land . . . if that makes sense (and it probably doesn't).

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Zinc sacrificial anodes will only work if you have an outboard motor on your side-by-side.

Okay, seriously, unless the object, to be protected along with the anode, is submerged in the same conductive fluid (e.g. salt or water with impurities so it'll conduct), as soon as you get out of the water the area protected by the anode will be relatively small. The anode behaves as a battery, and being a less noble metal, corrodes before the metal you are trying to protect. The puddle you are in is the "battery electrolyte". So in order to have this work you'd have to have anodes in all the areas that remain wet once you reach dry land . . . if that makes sense (and it probably doesn't).
I figured it would have to remain wet, oh well. I watched the magnesium tire carrier slowly rot off the rear of my jeep, along with all the aluminum hinges.

R

rudyeng

Oct 27, 2018
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Dumb cheapo Walmart /HD solution
Go to Walmart buy (2) shotgun cleaning kits. assemble the rods to make a long extension
Go to HD. But the Rust-Olium(Spelling ??) black one gallon oil based paint.

Use the wire brush in the kit and a handheld drill (Attached to the rods)to clean out the steel sections. Then use the bore mop to paint the frame members. Dip it in the gallon container and go crazy painting the inside.

I use that paint to preserve my steel road plates. I apply it every year and my plates look great.

Best of luck !

Rudy

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do yourself a favor, as I posted earlier in this thread, before painting the inside of the tubes, convert the rust to ferrous phosphate by applying a weak solution of phosphoric acid (this is sold at Home Depot in the paint section and is commonly called metal etch or prep, etc.) Sold on Amazon too. At Amazon

You can spray it, brush it, swab it on, then wash it out with water after the time period (typically 15 to 30 minutes) in the directions. Let dry and then paint. This provides a good base for the paint to adhere to and you won't be trying to paint over rust - which seldom works well.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do yourself a favor, as I posted earlier in this thread, before painting the inside of the tubes, convert the rust to ferrous phosphate by applying a weak solution of phosphoric acid (this is sold at Home Depot in the paint section and is commonly called metal etch or prep, etc.) Sold on Amazon too. At Amazon

You can spray it, brush it, swab it on, then wash it out with water after the time period (typically 15 to 30 minutes) in the directions. Let dry and then paint. This provides a good base for the paint to adhere to and you won't be trying to paint over rust - which seldom works well.
Por 15 makes some good stuff for that too

R

rudyeng

Oct 27, 2018
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I agree on the rust converter. I've used this in the past then painted as well. It stops rust and seals really well. My steel road plates sit out in the open 24/7 for years and they look "Like New".

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I didn't know Henry Ford had rusted frames and crooked mufflers..............

He didn't have fuel injection either.

Here you go, you can start reading about RMAX problems here: Oops, we're not perfect

I'm sure you can find rust issues too.

If you're coming here to poop, suggest you flush, wipe, and leave.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!