russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
That was one of my biggest draws to this specific trailer - zero wood decking and waterproof LED lighting already installed. They had other wood-decked trailers and also a 6x14, but it came out to 18 feet total length instead of 16 total length with the 6.5x13. The larger 6x14 also had removable ramps (Targhee TSL614 - RHM Trailers) instead of the rear drop-down that the 6.5x13 has.

Had to drive about 3 hrs because the place down in Dillon was the only one in stock, but once I saw it and trailered it home I felt like it was definitely worth it.

That was my thoughts with this for sure

View attachment 278475

It was defiantly worth it!

rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
Well she's finally wired up. I connected the winch switch and the power steering key-on to the Honda accessory harness. Planning on working on the fuse box/relay next week and cleaning the wires up some more.

I just needed to get things wired and working for the trip tomorrow. Haven't connected the battery yet and spooled the winch, so fingers crossed it all works tonight 🤣

PXL 20210701 130657291

rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
Looks good, you’ve got it now.
Thanks a lot - its been a long road and I honestly couldn't have done it without your guys' help. I appreciate everyone's input, but @Mudder @Bigtee @The Green Goat @trigger thanks guys for being patient and answering all my questions/PMs. I'd buy you all beer or your vice of choice if we were closer.

This ones for you guys 🤣

Oscars

rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
The old lady and I took the juicebox out for a test spin...she's loving the power steering 😂😂 I did see that I need to adjust the steering wheel now. Little off to the left (TWSS)..guessing there's a thread somewhere on that? Need to look into it tomorrow.

Tires and rims go on next week!! Real happy with the 520 so far!
PXL 20210702 013536182

Bisley

Bisley

Apr 14, 2021
West Covina, CA
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks a lot - its been a long road and I honestly couldn't have done it without your guys' help. I appreciate everyone's input, but @Mudder @Bigtee @The Green Goat @trigger thanks guys for being patient and answering all my questions/PMs. I'd buy you all beer or your vice of choice if we were closer.

This ones for you guys 🤣

View attachment 281457

Brad Pitt??? You must now change the thread title to #homo 🤣 😜

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
The old lady and I took the juicebox out for a test spin...she's loving the power steering 😂😂 I did see that I need to adjust the steering wheel now. Little off to the left (TWSS)..guessing there's a thread somewhere on that? Need to look into it tomorrow.

Tires and rims go on next week!! Real happy with the 520 so far!
View attachment 281578
Looks great!

For steering wheel:
1. pop cap off wheel
2. 3/4" socket to zip off nut
3. Pull wheel off and realign on correct spline.
4. zip nut back on
5. Put cap back on
6. realize that your tierods are also out of adjustment.

rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
Looks great!

For steering wheel:
1. pop cap off wheel
2. 3/4" socket to zip off nut
3. Pull wheel off and realign on correct spline.
4. zip nut back on
5. Put cap back on
6. realize that your tierods are also out of adjustment.
Thanks man, I appreciate it!! Is there a trick to getting the cap off wheel or just a flathead? Edit - answered my own question here:

.....#6 what is this you speak of? 🤣 I haven't had time to check the forum for threads yet, but how do I check if those are off?

Thanks again

Last edited:
The Green Goat

The Green Goat

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
Thanks man, I appreciate it!! Is there a trick to getting the cap off wheel or just a flathead? Edit - answered my own question here:

.....#6 what is this you speak of? 🤣 I haven't had time to check the forum for threads yet, but how do I check if those are off?

Thanks again
I eyeballed it. Mostly because I didn't have the equipment to do it quickly nor the time to rig up a way to align it properly. So, I wung it. It's better but I still need to readdress it to do it properly.

Mine had a significantly noticeable toe-out once I put the bigger tires on.

rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
I eyeballed it. Mostly because I didn't have the equipment to do it quickly nor the time to rig up a way to align it properly. So, I wung it. It's better but I still need to readdress it to do it properly.

Mine had a significantly noticeable toe-out once I put the bigger tires on.

Thanks that helps - I'm getting the new wheels/tires on next week so will look closer at the tierod alignment once I get them on. This video that @DDDonkey made - is this what you did?

My OCD can't handle the steering wheel so thats gonna get fixed as soon as I get home 🤣

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
Thanks that helps - I'm getting the new wheels/tires on next week so will look closer at the tierod alignment once I get them on. This video that @DDDonkey made - is this what you did?

My OCD can't handle the steering wheel so thats gonna get fixed as soon as I get home 🤣
Mosty. I pulled it straight into the garage. Recentered the steering wheel. Eyeballed the tire alignment. Jacked up the front. Popped off the tie rods from the knuckles one side at a time. Ended up giving them each 2 twists to lengthen the rods, essentially pushing the toe inwards. Reattached rods to knuckles. Twisted steering wheel back and forth to see if the rack was close to being centered, and it was.

Like I said, this was my quick and rough way of doing it, and it could certainly be better. But, the RRB trip was getting close so I went with it. Its definitely better than how it came. Before doing this, the tie rods would cam-over when turned hard in reverse, causing the steering to bind unless I moved forward.

My plan for the future is to truly center the rack, then the wheels, then the steering wheel. All with actual measurements vs my eyeballs.

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
Mosty. I pulled it straight into the garage. Recentered the steering wheel. Eyeballed the tire alignment. Jacked up the front. Popped off the tie rods from the knuckles one side at a time. Ended up giving them each 2 twists to lengthen the rods, essentially pushing the toe inwards. Reattached rods to knuckles. Twisted steering wheel back and forth to see if the rack was close to being centered, and it was.

Like I said, this was my quick and rough way of doing it, and it could certainly be better. But, the RRB trip was getting close so I went with it. Its definitely better than how it came. Before doing this, the tie rods would cam-over when turned hard in reverse, causing the steering to bind unless I moved forward.

My plan for the future is to truly center the rack, then the wheels, then the steering wheel. All with actual measurements vs my eyeballs.

Interesting stuff here for me.

Ever since I added power steering, my steering will occasionally resist, pop/bang, release; usually when turning left.
It had mostly stopped but has been happening more lately. Have been unable to ID the culprit (I am mechanically declined). Figured it was something in the PS but I also put on 27s at that time.

Hmm...

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520

Ever since I added power steering, my steering will occasionally resist, pop/bang, release; usually when turning left.
It had mostly stopped but has been happening more lately. Have been unable to ID the culprit (I am mechanically declined). Figured it was something in the PS but I also put on 27s at that time.

Hmm...
Adjust your tie rods.

@lee pointed this out to me. The rack pulls the offending rod inward, and then when the knuckle/rod are straight, it has a tendency to cam over the other direction causing a bind. I fixed it by adjusting the toe out/shortening the rod by 2 turns.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

Hmm...
I would check steering rods above the below the power steering. Also the mount. Have someone turn it to both stops and check for any binding. I have 27s and no issues for 5.5 years.

rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
Thanks for the info on tie rods, ill check mine this week after I get the wheels on.

Put a bunch of miles on her this weekend, getting close to the first service on it. Never needed 4WD and the engine never got above 2 bars even in 100+ degree heat. I love the thing so far and my better half is happy, which is the important part haha.

PXL 20210704 2302390312

PXL 20210704 2319190162

rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
Finally got the wheels and tires on...wish we would have had them last weekend.

HTRs
Fronts - 27x9x12
Rears - 27x11x12

12x9 MSA M33 Clutch wheels with a 4+3 offset

I'm about even front and back and gained quite a bit of ground clearance. Also glad I have the power steering haha. Real happy with them, but I got a little rubbing at full lock on the fronts. Not sure if I'm going to trim yet or just ride it and see how much it actually rubs.

PXL 20210707 0048390882

PXL 20210707 0051093902

PXL 20210707 0050349793

PXL 20210707 005133267

PXL 20210707 005141175

rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
Great lookin' rig!
Thanks man I really appreciate that!

By the way,what kind of filter or app are yall using that hides the dirt on your machines for these photos???

🤣 🤣 🤣 I don't have a lot of miles on it yet (75 miles exact)...most pictures I've taken she's been clean. You can kinda see the dust in post #115 🤣

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!