NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the info! I like the deck on this one. I am in the great trailer debate right now myself. Trying to decide between a trailer for 2 machines or just a single.. or possibly one big enough for a single and a quad.
I don't think I've ever heard someone say "I wish I bought a smaller trailer"

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I think I would be fine without the breaker, but I'm trying to do everything right the first time and plan for future accessories/add ons and don't want to have to rewire anything again 🤣 ...and knowing my luck prevent a disaster...
View attachment 278448

It's a 6.5 x 13 Targhee from Ryan Howell in ID - Targhee TU6613 - RHM Trailers . I debated a while on size and looked at used, but landed on this one. Real happy with it so far.

You did it right by adding a circuit breaker for the winch. It's without a doubt the biggest draw you can put on your electrical system and when it's hot and under load can pull north of 300 amps. Better to trip a breaker than cook the wire.

rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
Thanks for the info! I like the deck on this one. I am in the great trailer debate right now myself. Trying to decide between a trailer for 2 machines or just a single.. or possibly one big enough for a single and a quad.

That was one of my biggest draws to this specific trailer - zero wood decking and waterproof LED lighting already installed. They had other wood-decked trailers and also a 6x14, but it came out to 18 feet total length instead of 16 total length with the 6.5x13. The larger 6x14 also had removable ramps (Targhee TSL614 - RHM Trailers) instead of the rear drop-down that the 6.5x13 has.

Had to drive about 3 hrs because the place down in Dillon was the only one in stock, but once I saw it and trailered it home I felt like it was definitely worth it.

I don't think I've ever heard someone say "I wish I bought a smaller trailer"

That was my thoughts with this for sure

Noragrets

rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
Finally got the SuperATV power steering installed - re-read quite a few past posts to make sure I covered all my bases.

Make sure to use promo code #NTC for the best discount.

PXL 20210626 165617619

PXL 20210626 165633752

PXL 20210626 183318173

PXL 20210626 201616929

PXL 20210626 201724188

PXL 20210626 201517301

PXL 20210626 201507953

PXL 20210626 201450068

Haven't tested the actual power steering, but it seems like it's locked in pretty solid and clears the reservoir and everything else when turning both sides full lock. So far pretty happy with how it's coming together.

Last edited:
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Finally got the SuperATV power steering installed - re-read quite a few past posts to make sure I covered all my bases.

Make sure to use promo code #NTC for the best discount.

View attachment 280726
View attachment 280727
View attachment 280728
View attachment 280729
View attachment 280730
View attachment 280731
View attachment 280732
View attachment 280733

Haven't tested the actual power steering, but it seems like it's locked in pretty solid and clears the reservoir and everything else when turning both sides full lock. So far pretty happy with how it's coming together.

Oooo, shiny. You're going to dig having that on your rig. :cool:

rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
Your going to have get your wires under the hood anyway, just mount it there. You can run to your fuse box from there.
Thanks man - I was just thinking the breaker needed to be as close to the battery as possible? If I can mount it under the hood, it will be a bit easier haha. This is my wiring diagram I'm going off of from earlier...

Rustywiring4

Reactions: Mudwing and Bigtee
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Tomorrow I'm tackling my wiring conundrum that I've been beating to death - does anybody have any good ideas on where mount this breaker close to the battery?

View attachment 280734
A reason for that breaker is to also protect your wire against a direct short in the route to under the hood. I mounted mine with zip ties on the frame behind the passenger seat (yellow tab). It is very protected from mud and I can easily reach it by lifting the rubber flap of a @trigger shield
FA91E0E9 5E3A 4403 80BE D80F70A0B285

rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
A reason for that breaker is to also protect your wire against a direct short in the route to under the hood. I mounted mine with zip ties on the frame behind the passenger seat (yellow tab). It is very protected from mud and I can easily reach it by lifting the rubber flap of a @trigger shield
.View attachment 280750
Thanks Mudder, I didn't even think about behind the seat or in that area. I had my brain thinking inside the battery box. Early rise for me this morning so hoping I can get the wiring in a good spot or mostly wrapped up today. Gotta run to HF when they open and get a bigger gauge crimping tool and some more connectors.

Also have a few packs of these I was going to use to help mount things (fuse box, relay, winch breaker, etc) without having to completely bolt everything down. Good idea or no? Just not sure how long term they will be with bouncing/jarring/moisture/etc.

Screenshot 20210627 063407

@Bigtee @Mudder Thanks for your help, I owe you both!

rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
More OCD here...wondering if my placement of these things is safe? Just don't want to be mounting stuff where it shouldn't be or have something be problematic down the road (rattling, falling off, getting wet, shorts, etc)

Red - fuse box on the rail. was going to use the scotch extreme fastener for this one.

Green - relay on the plastic - was going to use the scotch fastener but also screw it into the plastic.

Blue - junction posts...these are 3/8 and too big for all of my fasteners, so need to get bigger fasteners or smaller posts. was going to screw these directly into the metal frame rail.

Purple - winch solenoid...seems pretty exposed but I guess that's how it should be? Was going to screw it into the frame rail.

White - winch breaker. was going to use the scotch fasteners and then screw it into the plastic like the relay on the other side.

PXL 20210627 1313037673

Sorry for all the questions and constant double checking, but like I've said a bunch before I'm a straight rookie and trying to not learn the hard way this time 🤣 🤣

Reactions: Mudder and J80
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
You can use zip ties too, to mount things I mean. I did that for a couple crossovers for the sound system, holes were perfect width for mounting around the top frame rail. Can always move/replace down the road with a snip snip.
X2 on zip ties, can move if needed if glove box is added, and no worries over the years of splashing mud and washing.

@Rustneversleeps , locations look ok and how are you liking the power steering.

Bigtee

Bigtee

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2017
Grayson, KY
Ownership

1. 520

2. 1000-5
You can use zip ties too, to mount things I mean. I did that for a couple crossovers for the sound system, holes were perfect width for mounting around the top frame rail. Can always move/replace down the road with a snip snip.
I agree with Trigger, zip tie them and you can move if needed. I worked in a refinery for 30 years, zip ties, duct tape and tie wire was holding the place together.

rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
X2 on zip ties, can move if needed if glove box is added, and no worries over the years of splashing mud and washing.

@Rustneversleeps , locations look ok and how are you liking the power steering.
I agree with Trigger, zip tie them and you can move if needed. I worked in a refinery for 30 years, zip ties, duct tape and tie wire was holding the place together.
Thanks guys!!!

rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
Here it is so far...routing to hood is basically done and the breaker is behind/under the seat. Now need to put the skids and plastic back together and hopefully it's just connecting and mounting things at this point. Fingers crossed it works 🤣

+ and - wires coming into battery (waiting to get everything else connected before connecting to battery)

PXL 20210627 211325083

Breaker behind/under passenger seat

PXL 20210627 211339789

Routing wires

PXL 20210627 211347569

Thanks for everyone's help! Finally coming along

rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
I did the same wire loom for extra rub protection. On the zip tie around the breaker, can you still mover the reset lever? I did not run my zip tie over the top.
I was worried about that when I set it up, but I can still reach the lever and the reset button when the seats/plastic in. it seems pretty solid with the zip tie there - it's going around the steel support beam and through both of the screw holes on the breaker and doesn't interfere with the reset or switch. Was wondering about the zip tie long term or not.

Real dumb question, but after I have everything wired up and ready to go, do I want to connect the power to the battery with the breaker on or off? I'm guessing off and then once it's connected to battery jus flip that breaker switch back on?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!