P1000 SATV Ball Joints install

Cattrell

Cattrell

Nov 26, 2018
Church Hill TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I installed my new front and rear offset arms from SATV today and that all went well till I came to the new Ball Joints. I decided to go with the new ones from SATV instead of re-using the originals.
They pressed in fine and no real issues there but when I went to bolt the first one up it didn't pull into the stock hub well. It is still sticking out around an 1 1/8 which is more than the stock ones did. Also the lock nut is not threaded down enough to even show the hole for the cotter pin. the joint seems to be bottomed out and tight as it will get, I even hit it with a 1/2" impact to no avail.
Is this normal? any trick I am missing??? I walked away and didn't try the other side yet, wanted to see if I can get some feedback first!
As always thanks for the help and advice!

Cattrell

Cattrell

Nov 26, 2018
Church Hill TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A80AF439 9AAA 4771 AA25 B9BCD501450E

Cattrell

Cattrell

Nov 26, 2018
Church Hill TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Castle nut or take the washer off.
I was more concerned with the amount of shaft still sticking out of the ball joint, should i not be worried there? It seems to me the more sticking out the weaker it is.
I planned on a castle nut anyway as that seems to be a much more secure install than a lock nut
Thanks for your input !

Reactions: TripleB
GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was more concerned with the amount of shaft still sticking out of the ball joint, should i not be worried there? It seems to me the more sticking out the weaker it is.
I planned on a castle nut anyway as that seems to be a much more secure install than a lock nut
Thanks for your input !
I dont think it will hurt anything as long as its tight.

Reactions: Remington
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Thanks for your input !

If you haven’t taken apart the other side measure the distance of that gap and compare. I can measure mine for you to compare.

Reactions: Remington
Cattrell

Cattrell

Nov 26, 2018
Church Hill TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you haven’t taken apart the other side measure the distance of that gap and compare. I can measure mine for you to compare.
I already had it off, but it looks like about 1/8" or 1/4" longer.
I went ahead and finished it up this morning, will check the tightness after the weekend ride!

farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Wise Men Still Seek "Him"
Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
OK, I pressed in my ball joints today and I have been around Heavy Equipment and machinery for 35 yrs. and I have never seen a zerk fitting like this LOL, I assume that is for clearance of the wheel I also assume that I just press the coupler up against the zerk and it will take grease, if I am wrong about this please let me know, I have not tried to grease them yet,,, Thank You,,,
Img 20191109 114000111 jpg

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
OK, I pressed in my ball joints today and I have been around Heavy Equipment and machinery for 35 yrs. and I have never seen a zerk fitting like this LOL, I assume that is for clearance of the wheel I also assume that I just press the coupler up against the zerk and it will take grease, if I am wrong about this please let me know, I have not tried to grease them yet,,, Thank You,,,
View attachment 165200

You will need a “flush” style tip for your grease gun for that one.

On most of them you can use these chainsaw bar greaser tools

09955f2222f7b3d146c237b034dec12d

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
View attachment 165200
Needle tip for your grease gun. Better is to swap the upper out with a typical grease fitting. Can get an assortment at Harbor Freight or online. The bottom can get knocked off if swapped.

farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Wise Men Still Seek "Him"
Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You will need a “flush” style tip for your grease gun for that one.

On most of them you can use these chainsaw bar greaser tools

View attachment 165224

That looks like the push and lube that I use on the Bridgport ways but that is oil , will look for a needle tip for the gun,
Thanks For The Info,,,

Reactions: JTW and joeymt33

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!