P1000 SATV extended arms more stability?

S

Superthrill

Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Those that have extended arms front and back, do you think it offers more stability on steep obstacles? Or is it not enough to notice. Twice today in Windrock we had some real close calls on some climbs.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Those that have extended arms front and back, do you think it offers more stability on steep obstacles? Or is it not enough to notice. Twice today in Windrock we had some real close calls on some climbs.
It makes a difference, but it's not like stretching it 2'

J

JTW

Are you talking about front to back or side to side stability? They won’t do anything for side to side stability. The best thing you can do is keep your weight low and as minimal as possible

Reactions: CumminsPusher
S

Superthrill

Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Front to back. I know it won't help much...
JTW are you the one that used angle iron for the bottom side rail reinforcements?

Even with 1/2 UHMW, my side tubes are bent all to hell. Stripping her down this weekend to start A Arm gussets and A Arm replacements, Got to reinforce the side tubes as well.

Kinda torn on adding the RuffStuff add ins to the side tube. May be the easiest route.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
JTW are you the one that used angle iron for the bottom side rail reinforcements?

Even with 1/2 UHMW, my side tubes are bent all to hell. Stripping her down this weekend to start A Arm gussets and A Arm replacements, Got to reinforce the side tubes as well.

Kinda torn on adding the RuffStuff add ins to the side tube. May be the easiest route.
I used angles. Protects the sides and bottoms. Nice flat spot on the side to weld sliders to also.

Reactions: JTW
J

JTW

Yup...

S

Superthrill

Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Did you guys weld the angle on or ?

How do you clean the mud out from the corner gap it creates? Or do you just not worry about it?

J

JTW

I bolted mine on so I could easily remove them to add kickers. Clean the mud out... lmao.. I don’t worry about such things

Reactions: snuffnwhisky
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I always worry about crevice corrosion and spots that can collect mud and water. I really like the Ruffstuff tube gussets and the VHB tape to bond the gussets and eliminate the crevice. Welding the tube gusset on exposes both the tube slider and the gusset to corrosion. In my installation the stock paint isn't touched and the gussets are fully painted. The joint is rock solid with my 4 skid plate bolts and the fit is perfect. My skid plate sticks out wider than any stock plastic so I'm not too worried about protecting the side of the tube

Tape applied and ready for bonding

IMG 20190529 210441

IMG 20190529 210838

Tube gusset installed
IMG 20190529 211101

Skidplate installed

IMG 20190531 173140

If my skid plate didn't stick out, the way JTW did his is pretty nice. I'd just be worried about it trapping mud and sand all the time.

Reactions: BWAF
advertisement
J

JTW

I always worry about crevice corrosion and spots that can collect mud and water. I really like the Ruffstuff tube gussets and the VHB tape to bond the gussets and eliminate the crevice. Welding the tube gusset on exposes both the tube slider and the gusset to corrosion. In my installation the stock paint isn't touched and the gussets are fully painted. The joint is rock solid with my 4 skid plate bolts and the fit is perfect. My skid plate sticks out wider than any stock plastic so I'm not too worried about protecting the side of the tube

Tape applied and ready for bonding

View attachment 138664

View attachment 138665

Tube gusset installed
View attachment 138666

Skidplate installed

View attachment 138668

If my skid plate didn't stick out, the way JTW did his is pretty nice. I'd just be worried about it trapping mud and sand all the time.
Pffft... mud and sand are the least of my worries! And come to think of it.... I’m not so sure it should be yours. Lol
458C6257 3F4B 42CD 95BA 3E5A2E739320

Now...... big rocks and gravity! There’s the concern!

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Pffft... mud and sand are the least of my worries! And come to think of it.... I’m not so sure it should be yours. Lol
View attachment 138672

Now...... big rocks and gravity! There’s the concern!

Both my rock sliders got smashed before that photo. That's most of the reason I beefed up the new one. It was a pain to put all the upgrades from 2 years of riding into a new machine in 3 weeks. I'd do it again if I had to though. Despite only having 195 miles it wheels like it has 2.5 years experience

J

JTW

Both my rock sliders got smashed before that photo. That's most of the reason I beefed up the new one. It was a pain to put all the upgrades from 2 years of riding into a new machine in 3 weeks. I'd do it again if I had to though. Despite only having 195 miles it wheels like it has 2.5 years experience
Lol.. in reality... even though it’s a pain to swap s*** over. If you can reuse all the stuff, it’s a fairly good plan

Reactions: BWAF and Mudwing
S

Superthrill

Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hopefully my Ruffstuff gussets will be here today. Even with the 1/2" skid plate, the tubes are smashed to hell.

Curious to see how the epoxy tape holds up. How thick is the tape? The gussets aren't exactly round. Does it deform enough to get full contact?

Doing the A arm gussets this weekend as well.

Reactions: BWAF
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hopefully my Ruffstuff gussets will be here today. Even with the 1/2" skid plate, the tubes are smashed to hell.

Curious to see how the epoxy tape holds up. How thick is the tape? The gussets aren't exactly round. Does it deform enough to get full contact?

Doing the A arm gussets this weekend as well.

A lot of OEM manufacturing processes are relying on VHB tape instead of welding, bolting or rivets. The gussets fit really well to the tube so there's almost no gap, in my case they weren't dented yet.

This is the tape I used.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BU7038A/?tag=sxsweb24-20

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!