1. 1000-3

kevinpo

kevinpo

Apr 3, 2021
Spokane Valley WA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hello,
I just retired from 48 years in the plastic industry. I also owned and operated a salt water aquarium store for 12 years. That being said both acrylic and polycarbonate can be polished. I have the polycarbonate split windshield with a windshield wiper so scratching is standard :rolleyes:. This is the correct product for both acrylic and polycarbonate. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002UCYRZU?tag=sxsweb24-20
For polycarbonate only use the #2 polish. It will not remove all the scratches without distorting the view slightly but you have to really look for it. I spend 10-15 min. each morning before riding with the #2 polish. It also helps with dust build-up and glare (read does not eliminate).

HTH,
Kevin

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello,
I just retired from 48 years in the plastic industry. I also owned and operated a salt water aquarium store for 12 years. That being said both acrylic and polycarbonate can be polished. I have the polycarbonate split windshield with a windshield wiper so scratching is standard :rolleyes:. This is the correct product for both acrylic and polycarbonate. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002UCYRZU?tag=sxsweb24-20
For polycarbonate only use the #2 polish. It will not remove all the scratches without distorting the view slightly but you have to really look for it. I spend 10-15 min. each morning before riding with the #2 polish. It also helps with dust build-up and glare (read does not eliminate).

HTH,
Kevin
How about a video demonstration of the proper process Kevin, for those of us with little to no experience with scratch removal.
Thanks in advance.

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well I thought I was being super hi-tech with the link to the product 😁. Tell you what, if you bring your machine by I will polish it and you could film it LOL. I'm old a bit technically challenged.

Cheers,
Kevin
That's cool and understandable. I do go through Spokane occasionally 😅
Thanks for the link

advertisement
J

justamacguy

May 25, 2016
Utah
Ownership

1. 500
As a result of bulldozing through the scrub oaks and swamps of Taylor County, my SATV windshield is pretty scratched up. I have no complaints with the windshield, it has held up well to the abuse. I searched but didn't find anything on possibly polishing the scratches out. Anyone tried it? @SuperATV
This stuff works wonders on fine scratches. It’s also used on aircraft canopies. Plexus Plastic Cleaner, Protectant and Polish (13-Ounce) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00092CKN4/?tag=sxsweb24-20

Reactions: Lady01 and Rick53
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This stuff works wonders on fine scratches. It’s also used on aircraft canopies. Plexus Plastic Cleaner, Protectant and Polish (13-Ounce) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00092CKN4/?tag=sxsweb24-20

I've used Plexus cleaner and polish for many years on aircraft, both power and glider. It is wise to flood the surface first with clean water to remove all dust and grit. The Plexus does a good job cleaning and polishing, but it is not a "scratch remover", though by polishing, it helps make fine scratches less noticeable - but that's about it.

To "remove" scratches from Acrylic (Plexiglas), not polycarbonate (Lexan) you must literally remove the surrounding plastic to take the surface down to match the depth of the scratch. For deeper scratches this means using wet sandpaper starting with 600 grit (or finer for shallower scratches) and progressively going to finer grit. This WILL NOT work on our sxs polycarbonate windshields.

Note the below "kit" is for Plexiglass only.

09 24700

M

Morrowtruth

Sep 5, 2022
Hurricane, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The best thing I have used to clean & reduce scratch visibility is aerosol furniture polish. A buddy that used to fly small helicopters gave me that tip & it works great.

L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello,

HTH,
Kevin

Yep Novus Plastic polish is the best stuff

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Dirtstiffs-1000