BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just read a thread talking about wiring second battery into your ignition. Why would this be necessary or even a good idea? I've always had the theory of "kiss" ( keep it simple stupid) I have plans on powering a switch panel controlling all accessories except for remote wire on radio for clock and presets. Does anyone see a problem with the way I'm doing this? I'm not a professional electrician or anything but I have always wired my own race trucks. They do not have a charging system but planned on wiring pretty much the same with exception of a dual solenoid for charging and putting in a breaker instead of main disconnect. Only time power is on to anything in truck is when I'm in it and racing. The breaker would be better idea for it also but wires are over sized and was willing to gamble to keep breaker from throwing while going down track. Am I missing a benefit to wiring into ignition??
If there always hooked together you could run both dead while sitting listening to radio I was going to go .From ignition to manual switch then to battery isolator so if I run my secondary dead listening to the radio I can flip that switch disconnect the second battery started.But I'm no professional either

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Reactions: ohanacreek
O2bsmitty

O2bsmitty

Mar 29, 2018
Illinois
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
If there always hooked together you could run both dead while sitting listening to radio I was going to go .From ignition to manual switch then to battery isolator so if I run my secondary dead listening to the radio I can flip that switch disconnect the second battery started.But I'm no professional either

If I understand correctly the dual battery set up Im going to use ( trueam utv-sb1-15) will keep from drawing off primary battery but will charge both?? My actual plan right now, unless someone sees something wrong or has better options, is true isolator under hood, 4 ga wire to deep cycle marine battery under seat, 150 amp circuit breaker under seat, 4 ga wire to 100 amp fuse panel in over head console. As of now stereo, cig lighter, USB, battery meter, low amp led music lights and amp all seperate switches. Amp will come off main on fuse panel on its own fuse and separate switch from panel.at later date i plan on light pods on rear and possibly red led light pods for night hunting.

Reactions: BWAF
BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If I understand correctly the dual battery set up Im going to use ( trueam utv-sb1-15) will keep from drawing off primary battery but will charge both?? My actual plan right now, unless someone sees something wrong or has better options, is true isolator under hood, 4 ga wire to deep cycle marine battery under seat, 150 amp circuit breaker under seat, 4 ga wire to 100 amp fuse panel in over head console. As of now stereo, cig lighter, USB, battery meter, low amp led music lights and amp all seperate switches. Amp will come off main on fuse panel on its own fuse and separate switch from panel.at later date i plan on light pods on rear and possibly red led light pods for night hunting.
Sounds good to me !

Reactions: O2bsmitty
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
What I do is use a dpst relay to get accessories turned on. It’s a relay with two triggers two turn on relay and one trigger out. One input is from ignition and one from separate switch. Pretty simple way for either key to turn on or switch if you’re just sitting there.
Light duty things that can be on without key all hook to this. Big power items trigger only off accessory wire. Works flawlessly. Sit there listening to tunes with switch in then fire it up and take off radio never skips a beat.
I also run a low voltage cutoff on switch side so at 11.5 all accessories shutoff to protect even the accessory battery. That way if we fall asleep with tunes playing that battery won’t be totally killed and simply hit key next morning and fire right up with full start battery.

Last edited:
Reactions: O2bsmitty and BWAF
O2bsmitty

O2bsmitty

Mar 29, 2018
Illinois
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
What I do is use a dpst relay to get accessories turned on. It’s a relay with two triggers two turn on relay and one trigger out. One input is from ignition and one from separate switch. Pretty simple way for either key to turn on or switch if you’re just sitting there.
Light duty things that can be on without key all hook to this. Big power items trigger only off accessory wire. Works flawlessly. Sit there listening to tunes with switch in then fire it up and take off radio never skips a beat.
I also run a low voltage cutoff on switch side so at 11.5 all accessories shutoff to protect even the accessory battery. That way if we fall asleep with tunes playing that battery won’t be totally killed and simply hit key next morning and fire right up with full start battery.
Do you have a part number for the cuttoff switch? I like that idea.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Do you have a part number for the cuttoff switch? I like that idea.

Can’t find the exact one but it’s like this however mine is higher volts for cut off
C827D45C E595 41B0 AF61 73C1E8E22E71

Here’s an adjustable one
AB598E74 9D80 4BB0 AB95 5A67B672C861

Last edited:
O2bsmitty

O2bsmitty

Mar 29, 2018
Illinois
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Ok here's another question. I have a 16 volt deep cycle battery that I was thinking about throwing into the mix for longer play times. But what would 16 volts do to phones if they were being charged off of it? I know the alt wouldn't charge it past 13.6 volts or I assume that's what the alt puts out but that's extra play time. Lol

O2bsmitty

O2bsmitty

Mar 29, 2018
Illinois
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Ok here's another question. I have a 16 volt deep cycle battery that I was thinking about throwing into the mix for longer play times. But what would 16 volts do to phones if they were being charged off of it? I know the alt wouldn't charge it past 13.6 volts or I assume that's what the alt puts out but that's extra play time. Lol
I wouldn’t mix that in. Sometimes batteries don’t play well together if they are both 12v but don’t hold the same voltage. Never heard of 16v, what’s that for??

Fixed original post.

O2bsmitty

O2bsmitty

Mar 29, 2018
Illinois
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Can’t find the exact one but it’s like this however mine is higher volts for cut off
Low Voltage Disconnect LVD Module, 10 Amp, 12/24V, Protect/Prolong Battery Life. | eBay

Here’s an adjustable one
Low Voltage Battery Disconnect 20A 12V/24V Auto Detect | eBay
Like this? Won't the elements hurt it being
I wouldn’t mix that in. Sometimes batteries don’t play well together if they are both 12v but don’t hold the same voltage. Never heard of 16v, what’s that for??
i have it for starting the race truck. Gives more ump to spin high compression engines.

advertisement
O2bsmitty

O2bsmitty

Mar 29, 2018
Illinois
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
they all looked like that. ?? I just picked one didn't read the cut off. You are probably right on the battery Was liking the idea of extra volts and the 16 weighs less. Guess I will stick to the 12 volt. Besides the weight of battery will offset the full fuel tank. Lol
Try “12v low voltage disconnect”

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!