P1000 Seat filled with water?

Youngster

Youngster

May 11, 2020
Manitoba, Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
HI,
New to this Forum. New to my 2017 Pioneer 1000-5. I have owned it for almost 3 months (Second Owner). Never been in water myself other than a few puddles on the trail after a rainfall. I took my bottom half of my seat off and noticed water swishing around inside the seat???? It appears that the foam is getting mold and I cant get the water out?
No matter what position I put the seat in the water won't come out?
There are drain holes on bottom but no water comes out. There is quite a bit of water in it causing it to weigh very heavy?
Any ideas. I quickly looked and does not look like I can take it apart.

This cant be good. One of the bottom panels under the driver's seat was broke away from the one bolt that holds it in place. I fixed it with tie straps but cant get water out of seat? Would this be warranty?

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Being a 2017! Nope! Not under warranty. I had an issue with my 16’ with the seal at the bottom of the seat came apart and it would not expel the amount of water it was taken in. Had it only a few months (brand new) and it was still under warranty and was replaced. No problems since. If I was in your shoes, I’d just buy a new seat. There not that much.

Youngster

Youngster

May 11, 2020
Manitoba, Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for feedback. I spoke with dealer yesterday. He says no coverage on water damage. I was a bit disappointed as money we pay for these units. $245000 Canadian with Taxes of course. They can't make things resistant to water? Everyone I know will go into water once in a while.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Best you can do easily is drill a couple holes in the end of it and put it up on end in heat for awhile. Let it sit in the sun or over a heat vent.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Thanks for feedback. I spoke with dealer yesterday. He says no coverage on water damage. I was a bit disappointed as money we pay for these units. $245000 Canadian with Taxes of course. They can't make things resistant to water? Everyone I know will go into water once in a while.

It is a bummer. My seat was totally full of water the day it was assembled for me to take home. I didn't think much of it at the time.

I drilled a bunch of small holes and a lot of water came out.

I was okay with some water in there, until I jumped in the machine in the winter the first time I was going plow snow. The seat was as hard as a rock from the water freezing. That sucks!!!

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It is a bummer. My seat was totally full of water the day it was assembled for me to take home. I didn't think much of it at the time.

I drilled a bunch of small holes and a lot of water came out.

I was okay with some water in there, until I jumped in the machine in the winter the first time I was going plow snow. The seat was as hard as a rock from the water freezing. That sucks!!!
🤔 Throw that current wet seat in a chest freezer over night and then you'll be ready to ride tomorrow when it is hot as hell out. 😎

Youngster

Youngster

May 11, 2020
Manitoba, Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes I will drill some holes to get water out. Thought I would throw it on this site for feedback. It is good to know that I am not the only one experiencing this. Still slightly disappointed with the product as people talk about how Honda's are top of the line for lasting-durable. This story changes my perception a bit. I have had many ATVs, as I am close to 60 years old and none have taken in water and not been able to disperse it naturally.
To me if the factory drain vents are not letting water out this is a design fault.

Maybe the seat should have come with factory hooks to hang it on the clothes line to dry.
:(

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Yes I will drill some holes to get water out. Thought I would throw it on this site for feedback. It is good to know that I am not the only one experiencing this. Still slightly disappointed with the product as people talk about how Honda's are top of the line for lasting-durable. This story changes my perception a bit. I have had many ATVs, as I am close to 60 years old and none have taken in water and not been able to disperse it naturally.
To me if the factory drain vents are not letting water out this is a design fault.

Maybe the seat should have come with factory hooks to hang it on the clothes line to dry.
:(
If it makes you feel better, my 2018 Foreman Rubicon seat stays wet all the time too; it's the foam they use. The older seats on my dad's early-mid 2000's Rubicons are hard as a rock but don't hold any water. I'm okay with the wet seat for the added comfort.

Reactions: Lady01
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Forgot to add it's usually 90-100* here on any given day so the seat foam is never water-logged, just wet.

Reactions: ChadD and Lady01
Youngster

Youngster

May 11, 2020
Manitoba, Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hot here to right now. Been a warm summer. It's not just the wet that bothers me, but when I shake the seat from side to side you can hear a large amount of water swaying from side to side. I'm sure this seat is 15 lbs heavier than when dry.

Haldog77

Haldog77

NTC's Mafia Enforcer
Lifetime Member
Sep 30, 2019
Bossier City, Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hot here to right now. Been a warm summer. It's not just the wet that bothers me, but when I shake the seat from side to side you can hear a large amount of water swaying from side to side. I'm sure this seat is 15 lbs heavier than when dry.
That is going to mildew and STINNNNNNNNK if you can't figure out how to remove the moisture.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My father in laws is full of water too. He has the bimini top on it and leaves it sitting outside so it just soaks up water. He hasn't figured out how to get the water yet, but it must not bother him too bad because it still sits outside collecting more water.

Youngster

Youngster

May 11, 2020
Manitoba, Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine sits outside all summer. I am not sure at this point how to get the water out? I imagine I will have to drill holes in the pre existing drain holes without cutting to upper surface of the seat. It does not appear you can take this seat apart or disassemble it?

There is alot of water in mine. You can hear it slushing loudly when u shake the seat.

t-bear

t-bear

Nov 11, 2019
NE OK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If it's really upsetting you, go see an auto upholstery place. Very simple job for them to provide you with a water resistant cover and foam if you desire. Now cost is gonna vary on your location.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I'm not familiar with the Pioneer seat pan but if it's solid, I'd just drill (carefully) some additional drain holes in the low spots. When you sit on it, water will squeeze out, you just need to give it an exit. Or, like t-bear said, an upholstery shop can replace the open cell foam with closed cell, water can't get in.

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey Youngster, did you forget to wear your diapers? HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA Sorry I couldn't help meself. Ye did set yeself up. A grandiose welcome to ya!

Youngster

Youngster

May 11, 2020
Manitoba, Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Lol. Ha Ha. Hopefully years away from diapers but you never know. ;)

There are some drain holes underneath the seat but the water does not come out. I am guessing that is above the foam in the seat. The material on top must be waterproof? I don't know how the water gets in. My guess is the previous owner had it in some deep water over the seat? I have had it for three months now and only drove through a few puddles do deeper than 3 inches.

Marc1991

Marc1991

Nov 30, 2020
New york
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Mine fills with water as well, I drilled out some holes to let it drain. As of the stench, I’m actually taking mine to an automotive upholstery shop to get a quote on replacing the “cushion” and maybe the outside material as well. First to get some added comfort, mine gets a little rough after a few hours on the trails in west Virgina, secondly in hopes I get better material that won’t allow it to fill with water!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!