P500 Seat in Sun

S

Sledge

My new P5 is going to spend a lot of time sitting in the Texas sun.

Don't want a roof. I've got an idea for a half-sheet of quarter-inch plywood with rollcage cutouts to lay on top, resting on seatback and steering wheel, but it's still gonna catch a lot of rays.

Are there any liquids, sprays, or somesuch which will protect the seat from deterioration due to sun exposure?

Joe

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Reactions: Sledge
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
You could have a lighter color seat cover made to stretch over at least the bottom part. Something like light gray vinyl or even better neoprene material, wont draw in the heat like black and would protect the OEM cover. An upholstery shop should be able to make one real easy that just slides on and off around the edges.

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Kmart $20
20150925 081954

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500

Don't want a roof. I've got an idea for a half-sheet of quarter-inch plywood with rollcage cutouts to lay on top, resting on seatback and steering wheel, but it's still gonna catch a lot of rays.

Are there any liquids, sprays, or somesuch which will protect the seat from deterioration due to sun exposure?

Joe

Don't cover it.....that seems to bring critters
wasp....ect
I do know that

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Don't you have to constantly feed and water the dog as he provides shade for the seat sound like it would cost a lot more than $20 long term :p

HaHa...
she's a ham...
Kinda proud to show
off my....
" ShotGun Rider "

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Don't you have to constantly feed and water the dog as he provides shade for the seat sound like it would cost a lot more than $20 long term :p

Her Loyalty & Friendship
...........PRICELESS. ........

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
HaHa

Jason86

Jason86

Apr 26, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500

Joe
DuPont Teflon silicone spray works great. It also work wonders on the plastics. Hard to find at a good price. I found it on bike bandit through ebay $7 a can.

advertisement
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
DuPont Teflon silicone spray works great. It also work wonders on the plastics. Hard to find at a good price. I found it on bike bandit through ebay $7 a can.

I think a mild dish soap
& warm water...to clean
black seat draws enough
heat my it's self...

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Don't cover it.....that seems to bring critters
wasp....ect
I do know that

Meaning don't put full cover
over entire SxS...

Jason86

Jason86

Apr 26, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
I think a mild dish soap
& warm water...to clean
black seat draws enough
heat my it's self...
He was looking for something to help stop or slow down sun damage. If it just to clean a dirty seat then I agree soap and water work well.

bigbore

bigbore

Jan 5, 2016

Joe

I would cover it, it is probably one of the easiest things to do to keep them looking good. HF tarp if nothing else.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
That makes so much more sense.
Yep, placing it under a lean to, carport or other is much better than a canvas UTV cover or tarp which are invitations for mice/rats to make home, then everything gets chewed on.

S

Sledge

You could have a lighter color seat cover made to stretch over at least the bottom part. Something like light gray vinyl or even better neoprene material, wont draw in the heat like black and would protect the OEM cover. An upholstery shop should be able to make one real easy that just slides on and off around the edges.
This got me thinking. I went here:

Get in on the Trend - SkinCancer.org

So dark colors are better at stopping UV. I think seat deterioration is due more to UV than temperature, but I'm not sure of that.

Also shiny synthetics are better than natural fibers, because they reflect rather than absorb UV.

I happened to have a cheap black polyester queen-size fitted sheet.

It's easy to put on, and I'm sure it will dry quickly, and wad up very small.

Well' see.

Joe

S

Sledge

View attachment 14683
This got me thinking. I went here:

Get in on the Trend - SkinCancer.org

So dark colors are better at stopping UV. I think seat deterioration is due more to UV than temperature, but I'm not sure of that.

Also shiny synthetics are better than natural fibers, because they reflect rather than absorb UV.

I happened to have a cheap black polyester queen-size fitted sheet.

It's easy to put on, and I'm sure it will dry quickly, and wad up very small.

Well' see.

Joe
Update: It's ~75 degrees out, calm, full sun.

The seat under the black cover was mildly warm. I uncovered the passenger side, and checked 5 minutes later. 5 minutes! The uncovered side was uncomfortably hot to hold my hand on for long. Driver side still just warm.

So surprisingly, the black sheet keeps seat cooler as well as blocking UV. I think I may have my solution.

Thanks all.

Joe

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
That's cool, I was at my local Polaris dealer and looked for that and Lo and behold, they had it, $7.50 so I picked it up to give it a go.

Jason86

Jason86

Apr 26, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
That's cool, I was at my local Polaris dealer and looked for that and Lo and behold, they had it, $7.50 so I picked it up to give it a go.
Nice. I spray my plastics down after every ride and bike still shines. Bought it Oct. 2014.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!