Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I'm looking forward to seeing the end results. I'm looking at Amazon right now. Are you planning to use a spring latch, or a camming system? Either way, I want to see the pics. This may be a shop project for my welding class. Ha!

It depends on the design of the seat back. But you're thinking correctly, may be a spring loaded cam.

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
i cant wait to see how those seats look lol if I didn't have football team of kids cramming on the bench seat id love to do that also

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Well had a box the size of a water heater outside the house, must have been my seats (as in TWO) uh nope a big arse box with one hmmmm.
Somebody had a bad Monday at the dock the other will be here tomorrow.

This will be a little more than I originally planned simply because I do not want to modify the OEM black plastic pieces that go under the drivers and passengers side, and at the same time going to address the heat that comes up from behind the various spots and big holes where the OEM seatbelts were. The OEM black plastic has some humps that keep the seat from being mounted "2 far enough back and there is nothing behind the humps, I was going to use a heat gun and push them back stretching the plastic then found out it laughed and snickered at my heat gun set on 500 degrees (that's dang tough plastic), the other option was to cut a few slits letting the seat push them back. So I removed all 3 pieces going across to verify frame cross-member placement wires etc. I will replace it with a piece of 14 gauge or 1/8" aluminum sheeting all the way across 22" wide X 42" long with a cutout in the center near the seat belt mount where the hump resides for Water cooling line etc. The small center piece of plastic may go back. The ECM under the passenger seat will be mount at the top of the vertical plastic immediately in front of where it snapped in the tray and the coil attached to the drivers side will be remounted off the plastic piece.

Anyway with the plastic out of the way plenty of room no clearance issues,, except the little hooped wings off to the sides where a proper door should be are juuuuust too narrow, I tweaked them out 1.5" on each side now it fits and dog gone nicely.

Oh you guys want pictures, figures LOL. Sneak peak below, I am 6'1" 295 pounds slightly larger than most KFC raised petites, I got about 2 " more leg room and I am happy as heck with the fit. I wish I had more metalworking tools I'd had all my brackets done.

20150826 160148 zpsfsq6uz7m

20150826 180616 zpsgpgclsbq
20150826 181054 zpsm6ekw9vl 20150826 184819 zps5a2uys0g

20150826 184851 zpsfoe86qfd

Well when I Git-er-Done properly I will post detailed pics in my build thread showing the aluminum pan with heat shield material on engine side of it along with proper mounts and measurements. Once finished for a P500 it will be the pimp of the playground :)

mrjeff42

mrjeff42

Mar 22, 2015
lagrange georgia
Ownership

1. 500
yes it will be the pimp of the playground......i like the seats....or seat..... its going to be b****in and one of a kind....

p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
With the side lumbar support the seat has, do you even need the little factory loops? I am in favor of modifying/removing them already. They are the ONLY hindrance to the easiest entrance/exit of ANY UTV that I have ridden in. I understand they are there to help keep passengers inside the cockpit during spirited rides, but the aftermarket seats you have chosen almost render them moot.

Reactions: mrjeff42
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
With the side lumbar support the seat has, do you even need the little factory loops? I am in favor of modifying/removing them already. They are the ONLY hindrance to the easiest entrance/exit of ANY UTV that I have ridden in. I understand they are there to help keep passengers inside the cockpit during spirited rides, but the aftermarket seats you have chosen almost render them moot.

If those loops were not welded to the main ROPS I would have taken them off. But I am not cutting on the main frame. They are out of the way as I bent them.

Besides if I put it on its side climbing or decending a steep rutted trail that loop will keep the larger rocks from tearing up seat fabric on the wings of the seat. I ride a lot of rocky highly techical trails and these 50" SxS just end up rubbing up high often in my past experience.

Reactions: p500fan
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
This is awesome! I swear @JACKAL, I think it, and you do it! I have been wanting to do this on my 700, I think the increase in comfort will be HUGE!

Reactions: JACKAL and mrjeff42
p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
If those loops were not welded to the main ROPS I would have taken them off. But I am not cutting on the main frame. They are out of the way as I bent them.

Besides if I put it on its side climbing or decending a steep rutted trail that loop will keep the larger rocks from tearing up seat fabric on the wings of the seat. I ride a lot of rocky highly techical trails and these 50" SxS just end up rubbing up high often in my past experience.
I understand that. No one is too happy to alter pre-engineered ROPS, but that still doesn't keep me from pondering. Ha! I've thought of shortening them by an inch or so, just to ease egress of the cockpit. My pistol gets hung on the loop about half the time. I don't know if spreading them, as you did, would work for me. That might get in the way of the factory doors. However, it's just .750" on each side, so it might be okay. I'll have to check it when I get home.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
This is awesome! I swear @JACKAL, I think it, and you do it! I have been wanting to do this on my 700, I think the increase in comfort will be HUGE!

Got a full day tomorrow wrapping up the details, final latch fitments, heat shielding the aluminum seat pans I made to replace the plastic ones. etc. I feel like I gained about 2" of legroom over OEM seats.

Well lookie here if it fits I sits......

20150827 184537 zps57evr2ja

If I fits I sits If I dont fitsI still sits cat 550x563

advertisement
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
looking good....

Thanks, and the route I'm going I can switch it back to 100% factory in about 1 hour. But fabbing your own aluminum seat pans as a heat & splash shield is a bugger. The OEM plastic ones have a few humps that keep the back from sitting centered and square so it's either chop them up or make my own and the 0.060" aluminum 24" x 48" was only $20 so it was a no brainer.

p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
Thanks, and the route I'm going I can switch it back to 100% factory in about 1 hour. But fabbing your own aluminum seat pans as a heat & splash shield is a bugger. The OEM plastic ones have a few humps that keep the back from sitting centered and square so it's either chop them up or make my own and the 0.060" aluminum 24" x 48" was only $20 so it was a no brainer.
That is awesome! Do you have blueprints/diagrams? Would you be willing to share? I guess that I might as well learn to love sleeping on the couch, because I'm gonna follow you on this adventure. Ha! I know you got the seats off of Amazon, where did you get the belts?

mrjeff42

mrjeff42

Mar 22, 2015
lagrange georgia
Ownership

1. 500
That is awesome! Do you have blueprints/diagrams? Would you be willing to share? I guess that I might as well learn to love sleeping on the couch, because I'm gonna follow you on this adventure. Ha! I know you got the seats off of Amazon, where did you get the belts?
p500fan wants to put these seats in his so he can put a child car seat in his p500....lol

Reactions: p500fan and JACKAL
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

I actually got the seats and the belts off of RM ATV together, I had built up a bunch of loyalty points so beside 10% off the top I then applied $150 customer loyalty cash as well.

Yes I will share the plans, don't expect fancy blue print I did it old school use poster board as a template marking all cuts bends holes to be drilled etc. Once the poster board sit in there with all the bolts and rivets to my satisfaction simply traced everything onto a 24" x 48" sheet of 0.060" Aluminum and cut it out with a rotozip. Still a two piece pan like the OEM plastic so you only have to pop the passenger seat off to change the oil using the exact same plastic rivets and 3 screws as OEM no different.

On the aluminum to block the heat bought a $10 aluminized windshield sunshade about 1/4" foam & aluminum like the "space blanket" I will spray the bottom side of the aluminum seat pan with 3M vehicle molding adhesive apply the sunshade shiny side towards the motor and trim with a razor & viola added heat protection from entering seating area.

p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
I actually got the seats and the belts off of RM ATV together, I had built up a bunch of loyalty points so beside 10% off the top I then applied $150 customer loyalty cash as well.

Yes I will share the plans, don't expect fancy blue print I did it old school use poster board as a template marking all cuts bends holes to be drilled etc. Once the poster board sit in there with all the bolts and rivets to my satisfaction simply traced everything onto a 24" x 48" sheet of 0.060" Aluminum and cut it out with a rotozip. Still a two piece pan like the OEM plastic so you only have to pop the passenger seat off to change the oil using the exact same plastic rivets and 3 screws as OEM no different.

On the aluminum to block the heat bought a $10 aluminized windshield sunshade about 1/4" foam & aluminum like the "space blanket" I will spray the bottom side of the aluminum seat pan with 3M vehicle molding adhesive apply the sunshade shiny side towards the motor and trim with a razor & viola added heat protection from entering seating area.
Actually, I kind of like the heat. Except for about 6-7 days a year, the heat is a benefit to me in my chilly climate. However, the noise reduction that will also occur using the shade would be nice. Decisions, decisions. Ha!

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Actually, I kind of like the heat. Except for about 6-7 days a year, the heat is a benefit to me in my chilly climate. However, the noise reduction that will also occur using the shade would be nice. Decisions, decisions. Ha!

Well since you are fabbing your own there is room for a 4" fan and duct right behind the center seatbelt attachments, you could make a closeable vent and if you want heat open it and turn on the fan, viola cab heater sitting 3 inches from head and exhaust manifold.

p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
p500fan wants to put these seats in his so he can put a child car seat in his p500....lol
Already been looking at that. The hardest sell was the seat that I was going to attach to the rear platform for my wife. Got one of those "1,000 yard" stares. Didn't know if she was contemplating divorce or murder. She hasn't come down off of her hormone rush, yet, so I'm gonna have to ease this by her. Fortunately, the pup will keep her distracted for awhile. Maybe. I hope. Sh%t, I'm gonna die. Ha!

mrjeff42

mrjeff42

Mar 22, 2015
lagrange georgia
Ownership

1. 500
Already been looking at that. The hardest sell was the seat that I was going to attach to the rear platform for my wife. Got one of those "1,000 yard" stares. Didn't know if she was contemplating divorce or murder. She hasn't come down off of her hormone rush, yet, so I'm gonna have to ease this by her. Fortunately, the pup will keep her distracted for awhile. Maybe. I hope. Sh%t, I'm gonna die. Ha!
thats funny right there.....

p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
Well since you are fabbing your own there is room for a 4" fan and duct right behind the center seatbelt attachments, you could make a closeable vent and if you want heat open it and turn on the fan, viola cab heater sitting 3 inches from head and exhaust manifold.
I like that idea. I thought I saw something that I could use on Amazon. (My wife is gonna kill me.) This might have to be a winter project, anyway. Surely I can justify heat during an AK winter, right guys?

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!