Seemed like old times today

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I got to make a quail hunt today, and it brought back a lot of memories of when I was younger and we still had plenty of wild quail and of bird hunting with my Daddy. Not enough wild quail left in this part of the country to hunt anymore. But as far as 'pen raised' birds go, it was an EXCELLENT hunt. The birds flew really good, some that we missed, flying 200 yds before lighting back down. Just as impressive was the bird dogs ...... they were a pleasure to watch ..... pointing, backing, and holding till we were set up. Quail hunting in the South, use to be a really big deal, but by the 70s they were getting hard to find.

53654619 2295915427126457 1421167767297458176 o nc cat101 nc htscontent atl3 1

J

JTW

I got to make a quail hunt today, and it brought back a lot of memories of when I was younger and we still had plenty of wild quail and of bird hunting with my Daddy. Not enough wild quail left in this part of the country to hunt anymore. But as far as 'pen raised' birds go, it was an EXCELLENT hunt. The birds flew really good, some that we missed, flying 200 yds before lighting back down. Just as impressive was the bird dogs ...... they were a pleasure to watch ..... pointing, backing, and holding till we were set up. Quail hunting in the South, use to be a really big deal, but by the 70s they were getting hard to find.

View attachment 112381
Same here in Kentucky.. I had a small covey here on my place but haven’t seen them in the last couple years.

Hondoman

Hondoman

Fundamentals are the crutch for the talentless.
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 112381
I grew up in a bird hunting family too. Sadly no more quail in ne Texas. I have alot of memories hunting with my dad, his brother, my grandfather and his brother.

Hard to beat a classic humpback browning too!

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I grew up in a bird hunting family too. Sadly no more quail in ne Texas. I have alot of memories hunting with my dad, his brother, my grandfather and his brother.

Hard to beat a classic humpback browning too!
I did not realize quail were getting low in TX. I bought that A5 over 50 yrs ago when I was a senior in HS. Hard for the young folks to believe, but back then even a kid could do it in 5 min. It has a modified choke and I could have bought a 2nd barrel with open cylinder choked for $89, but thought that was too high ...... what a dummy!

Hondoman

Hondoman

Fundamentals are the crutch for the talentless.
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I did not realize quail were getting low in TX. I bought that A5 over 50 yrs ago when I was a senior in HS. Hard for the young folks to believe, but back then even a kid could do it in 5 min. It has a modified choke and I could have bought a 2nd barrel with open cylinder choked for $89, but thought that was too high ...... what a dummy!
That's crazy. I think west Texas has the only real numbers of quail anymore.

Reactions: BigOL3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!