P1000 Selling my new Talon X LV to buy a Pioneer 1000

Bobrhino

Bobrhino

Sep 19, 2018
Arizona & Nevada
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
That’s a much needed improvement then! My non-live valve Talon X was terrible from the factory. $1500 to Shock Therapy helped immensely, but it’s tough to overcome poor geometry. Glad to hear the live valve really addressed the issue!

I don’t know how much truth there is to it, but when I asked my Honda dealership owner friend about why the tender springs on my Talon were coil bound, he said they had done a seminar/training with Fox and were told the smashed springs were for spring extension control, not compression. Go figure, I don’t know. Based on how friggin stiff the Talon suspension is, I think it would have been better to use that space for less harshness!
My neighbor has a Talon R live valve and a X model. His X tender (top) springs are near total coil bound too. I agree with your analogy on what the lower rate springs should accomplish and leave the valving to address the extension control.

His Talon R springs are not coil bound, however both Talons are disappointing because of harshness. So, 8 Shoxs are off to Shock Therapy sometime in October. First time slot for appointment? Some businesses are doing well, I guess. That’s a good thing.

Bmurray

Bmurray

Lifetime Member
May 6, 2021
Missouri but soon to be Idaho
Ownership

1. Talon X
sold

JA7egNYl JVwELYzl Advwuxul 26hL5nAl

Last edited:
tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If I understand you correctly, you have Honda LE model QS3 shocks and removed the OEM progressive wound springs and replaced the rears with straight wound 300# springs? And are they 3” diameter x 15” long or did you go with longer than stock spring?
Thank you for your response to this problem.
Correct, I have a deluxe and put on the Fox QS3 shocks but also replaced the factory progressive springs that come on the Fox shocks.

If you do a search it’s on here, I forget off the top of my head but both front and rear are 14” springs but I think the fronts are 2.5” and rears are 3”.

Best pictures I have and preload is cranked down on both front and rear, I’m running 30’s but you can zoom in and look at the springs.
D7CAA561 F2F6 4FAC B1E7 18B16E96A7A1
7A3ACAAB A979 4D9C A693 494DA18311AE

Last edited:
Reactions: Biteme and Lady01
tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Few pics I found when I had the stock Fox springs With zero preload set, the rears are tightly packed even with no preload. Also the fronts had no weight on them as it was jacked up.

Front
B036E6DA 26E4 419C 96AE 4A98FA3017CC

Rear
7A37915F 762A 401B 8115 3B1FEDEF653E

Bobrhino

Bobrhino

Sep 19, 2018
Arizona & Nevada
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The rear shock pic is pretty identical to my new, rear Fox Shox regarding the top coils in mashed, bound state. I‘ll continue to look around for anyone that may have P1000 R&D experience with this shock and a dual-rate spring set up. I’m not anxious to throw money into replacement spring sets that may/may not work out for me. IMO, a better quality shock package can be purchased with correct spring rates for model specific UTV for about the same $$$$. Sure appreciate your help though!

OBTW, the photo of your R Rear tire makes a beautiful statement 🇺🇸👍 God Bless our country!

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The rear shock pic is pretty identical to my new, rear Fox Shox regarding the top coils in mashed, bound state. I‘ll continue to look around for anyone that may have P1000 R&D experience with this shock and a dual-rate spring set up. I’m not anxious to throw money into replacement spring sets that may/may not work out for me. IMO, a better quality shock package can be purchased with correct spring rates for model specific UTV for about the same $$$$. Sure appreciate your help though!

OBTW, the photo of your R Rear tire makes a beautiful statement 🇺🇸👍 God Bless our country!
The rear shock should be identical, it is the stock spring. I’ll take a closer pic of the rear but if you look at the pictures above that my new springs are grey but you can see they aren’t packed there is gap between the top coils.

J

Jakey

May 30, 2016
San Francisco Bay Area
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So where would a guy get the better springs? Fox? Would the additional cost make buying the Elka make sense at a higher price point? Not trying to thread jack, but am ready to deal with my crappy ride.

Reactions: Biteme and Lady01
tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So where would a guy get the better springs? Fox? Would the additional cost make buying the Elka make sense at a higher price point? Not trying to thread jack, but am ready to deal with my crappy ride.
I bought mine from summit racing, think I spent around $50 per shock or $200.

Bobrhino

Bobrhino

Sep 19, 2018
Arizona & Nevada
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Eibach probably has a doable spring package whether dual rate springs (2 individual per shock-the best) or a straight wound configuration like tdhanses- snowflake used. Eibach doesn’t have a fitment guide for any Pioneer 1000 model, only the Honda Talon R, so far. What they do have is huge reference to available springs that would physically fit the Fox Shox QS3 body, just no reference or recommendation or suggestion to spring weight rating. That is for us to determine, and at the expense of trial and error. A spring rate computation can be used on Eibach Products website.

My rear Fox Shox progressive wound spring ID number equates to 187- 350# (heaviest of 3 they show) per Fox Midwest Service Center. Yeah, I could ball park the rating desired, but I’d rather seek the knowledge of someone having already done the R&D. I’m now many years into retirement, have a lovely wife, and have little way of making extra spending money. Unless, oh never mind 🤭

Last edited:
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Eibach probably has a doable spring package whether dual rate springs (2 individual per shock-the best) or a straight wound configuration like tdhanses- snowflake used. Eibach doesn’t have a fitment guide for any Pioneer 1000 model, only the Honda Talon R, so far. What they do have is huge reference to available springs that would physically fit the Fox Shox QS3 body, just no reference or recommendation or suggestion to spring weight rating. That is for us to determine, and at the expense of trial and error. A spring rate computation can be used on Eibach Products website.

My rear Fox Shox progressive wound spring ID number equates to 187- 331# (heaviest of 3 they show) per Fox Midwest Service Center. Yeah, I could ball park the rating desired, but I’d rather seek the knowledge of someone having already done the R&D. I’m now many years into retirement, have a lovely wife, and have little way of making extra spending money. Unless, oh never mind 🤭
Already did that 2yrs ago starting @ post #630. Different fronts and rears. Been very happy with the results

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Me and my wife have been thinking about selling the Pioneer and getting a Talon. The only reason is the pioneer is just a rough ride. I have ridden in a Talon and it's much smoother. I'm very torn because the Pioneer works so well for hunting. Will changing the shocks make my Pioneer ride better?
I have no experience to gauge the Talon. But my 2021 Pioneer 1K5 LE has the Fox QS3 shocks, and it is very smooth. I've read posts from others who've installed Elkas and say the difference versus stock Pioneer shocks is night and day.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Wow! Guess I'm the impatient type, I was looking for one and done shock purchase. Called around, most of the shock guy's wanted my money and send me some shocks, finally ran into Elka and talked to them, they wanted to know the machine, accessories, tire & wheels, the weight of passengers, my riding style, the weight of the load I usually carried in the bed, what kind of terrain I rode and built me custom shocks with proper springs and the proper valving in the shocks for the springs for my application, one and done. I messed a little with spring pre load, rebound, high and low speed compression adjustments and that's been it. If I had it all to do over, I would just want the right springs, rebound and single compression adjustment. You don't need Stage 5's for a P1. I'm very happy with my one and done purchase.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
this one is still sitting in the garage. hope it sells while it's still new.
Unfortunately there are dozens of buyers waiting impatiently to buy a Talon or Pioneer from their dealer but few have cash. Dealers can provide easy financing but private sellers normally cannot.

You might improve your chances of finding a buyer if you post a few good clear photos and write up a description of the machine. Date of purchase, miles/hours on the odometer, accessories, etc.

You might try listing it on ATV/UTV trader and craigslist.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!