BOX1

Talon Share your storage options - Talon

rbtnt

rbtnt

Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2015
Ownership

1. Talon X
I'm anxious to see how you mount it without straps. It looks like it fits perfect.

I am using the box from Walmart without straps. I installed 4 bolts from under the bed through existing holes with fender washers on the bottom. On the top I used washers and nuts to hold the bolts in place for when I remove the box for cleaning or accessing the air filter, etc. I drilled holes in the bottom of the box to go over the 4 bolts and put nuts and washers on them in the box. I also used nuts and washers on the bolts for the box to sit on. I used bolts just long enough for the nuts and I put some 3/4" boards in bottom of box with cuts out for nuts and bolts. This way the bolts and nuts do not puncture cooler or anything else in box. Since the latches are pretty weak I use a SS snap hook to secure the lid.

Materials for mounting - all Stainless. 4 bolts, 12 nuts, 16 washers and a snap hook. You could use wings nuts in box for quick removal.
I used the same 30 can cooler from Walmart that is a perfect fit in the box. Looking at the cost of the Honda box and brackets, I can buy 20 - 30 of the boxes from Walmart. I haven't seen one of the Honda boxes yet, but I am happy with the box from Walmart.

Reactions: CID and nm6r
H

HondaTech

Looking for ideas for storage in the Talon?

I have bought and returned several different storage boxes and tool box combinations. Finally found a decent setup for me but always looking for better ideas.

I ended up with a cheap Contico storage locker and cooler from Walmart. While the storage locker isnt the best quality and a little flimsy, it does fit awesome. Also found a 30 can cooler that fits nicely inside the box and leaves plenty of room for tools, recovery gear, etc. I used it over the weekend with straps holding it down but plan to mount it more permanently. It was a nuisance taking the straps on and off every time I needed a beverage.

Here are some pics of my setup. Please share yours!

View attachment 120206 View attachment 120207 View attachment 120209 View attachment 120211 View attachment 120213

I had this idea for the first R we sold, using the Pro-connect mounts. Since the mount and clips are available separately. I'd think it work on any box that isnt too thick.

Reactions: nm6r
Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon x4
I'm anxious to see how you mount it without straps. It looks like it fits perfect.

I mounted thru the current open holes in the bed. 5 bolts and they are pretty easy to reach underneath as well.

nm6r

nm6r

Jun 7, 2019
Sandia Park, NM
Ownership

1. Talon R
I had this idea for the first R we sold, using the Pro-connect mounts. Since the mount and clips are available separately. I'd think it work on any box that isnt too thick.
What are Pro-connect mounts? A google search comes up with tv mounts.

nm6r

nm6r

Jun 7, 2019
Sandia Park, NM
Ownership

1. Talon R
I looked at the Contico storage box at my local Walmart and wasn't happy with the fit of the lid or the latches. I was running errands in a neighboring town and wanted to re-evaluate the Contico storage box and found this unit at Walmart.

IMG 20190618 144726 Edit

Here are the details of the box, $19.98 at Walmart.

IMG 20190618 143901 Edit

Of course nuts and bolts/machine screws could be used for fastening but I didn't want hardware sticking up into the box so I used Clevis pins with fender washers and hairpin cotters.

IMG 20190618 144257 Edit

Sterilite box from Walmart $19.98.
3/8" x 2" clevis pins from Tractor Supply 2pk. $2.49
3/16" x 2" clevis pins from Tractor Supply 2pk. $2.29
3/8"-1/2" hairpin cotter from Tractor Supply 2pk. $0.99
1/4" hairpin cotter from Tractor Supply 7pk. $0.99
(only two of the above are used)

I also used fender washers under the clevis pins. I had those on hand.

No modifications to the Talon and the box quick releases for air cleaner access.

I am just trying to buy some time until the price of the oem box drops or a better aftermarket alternative is available.

rbtnt

rbtnt

Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2015
Ownership

1. Talon X
I agree, the Sterilite box has better latches and the lid fits better than the Contico box, but the Contico has a lip on the lid that should do a better job keeping water and dust out. I also set up a Sterilite box. I installed straps on the lid to hold it from opening too far and hitting the rear window. The open lid on the Contico box did not hit the rear window.
I looked the box TSC has and it is a lot sturdier than the two boxes at Walmart, but it has less room inside.

Last edited:
S

Someguy

Jun 15, 2016
Krakow Wi.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Bought this at Tractor Supply for about $25. Couple yrs ago. Had it on my p1000. The eye bolts work OK to hold it down, but couple inches higher would be better. Roughly 32"L x 15"W x 14.5"H.
IMG 20190621 125300
IMG 20190621 123543
IMG 20190621 125117

Jon_MT

Jon_MT

Jul 11, 2019
Montana
Ownership

1. Talon R
This is the box I got. I just used lashing straps from Harbor Freight down to the eyelets so I can easily take it to access the air filter, etc. Holds my Ozark Trail 24 can cooler, tools and recovery gear great. And it has a weather seal. $54

Upload 2019 7 12 10 56 4

Reactions: bigblueaz
C

Crwh45

Nov 3, 2016
Greene, N.Y.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I got the same box as you, what I did instead of bolting it down is put 4 U-bolts thru it, and just a ratchet strap on each side to the mounts in the bed. Well, my fiance did the strapping as my arms are too big to reach in there. I figured that way if I had to get to the air cleaner or anything it would be easier to just undo straps. I put a 24ish can cooler in one side of it and a rubbermaid box in the other with tools, etc.

I looked at the Contico storage box at my local Walmart and wasn't happy with the fit of the lid or the latches. I was running errands in a neighboring town and wanted to re-evaluate the Contico storage box and found this unit at Walmart.

View attachment 136559

Here are the details of the box, $19.98 at Walmart.

View attachment 136560

Of course nuts and bolts/machine screws could be used for fastening but I didn't want hardware sticking up into the box so I used Clevis pins with fender washers and hairpin cotters.

View attachment 136561

Sterilite box from Walmart $19.98.
3/8" x 2" clevis pins from Tractor Supply 2pk. $2.49
3/16" x 2" clevis pins from Tractor Supply 2pk. $2.29
3/8"-1/2" hairpin cotter from Tractor Supply 2pk. $0.99
1/4" hairpin cotter from Tractor Supply 7pk. $0.99
(only two of the above are used)

I also used fender washers under the clevis pins. I had those on hand.

No modifications to the Talon and the box quick releases for air cleaner access.

I am just trying to buy some time until the price of the oem box drops or a better aftermarket alternative is available.

J

JTW

I’m with @ohanacreek in that I’d look for something that seals like the ridged boxes or even something larger, but you’re gunna want it to seal!

Reactions: BWAF and ohanacreek
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!