• Welcome to HONDASXS.com

If you are a guest please take time to REGISTER with us. Stay up to date on the Honda Side by Side line and take part in our online forum. Check out the FAQ. Once you register you can start to make post. Users will respond to your question or statement. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit below or click the board index to see a list of all forums. Thanks and have fun.

Talon Share your storage options - Talon

Discussion in 'Talon 1000 Accessories and Modifications' started by Vondy, Apr 2, 2019.

1. GrayStillPlays

GrayStillPlays New Member

Ownership:
    Talon R
    I ended up getting the same RTIC cooler that spentcoins had. Really liking it so far. For any min-maxers that want the best cooling solution from it, there was test done that showed the white to hold ice for half a day longer than the tan, so about 5 days in the Florida sun instead of 4.5 days. I don't really plan on needing to keep ice for 5 days, but it's still an option. Fits snug.

20190630_180506.jpg

spentcoins, stellarpod and JTW like this.
  2. JTW

JTW God's favorite member.
    Lifetime Member Club Contributor

Ownership:
    1000-5
    Exactly!

3. stellarpod

stellarpod Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    Talon X
    I have an expedition-grade cooler (Pelican). But, the Pelican would fill the entire cargo area. I use a couple of stacked Rigid boxes for my tools/recovery gear/first aid kit/etc. I recently purchased a Polar Bear Eclipse soft cooler, which nests nicely next to my Rigid stack. It's rated for 24 cans plus ten pounds of ice and I find it easily keeps them cool for over 24 hours, which is more than good enough for day trips. It's a bit pricey at $179, but appears to be really well built. I've used several other Polar Bear soft coolers in the past and have had really good results with them. I utilize Rok-Straps to keep everything in place.

20190716_052932.jpg

20190716_052831.jpg 20190716_053305.jpg

You can see the details on this cooler here: Polar Bear Eclipse

Steve

Vondy and Ragnar406 like this.
  4. Ragnar406

Ragnar406 The Great Bald One
    Lifetime Member Supporting Member

Ownership:
    1000-5
    VegasTalon and stellarpod like this.
  5. stellarpod

stellarpod Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    Talon X
    Honestly, if we had it to do over, I'd likely opt for a separate shelter outside of the house/garage. The shelter works, but there have been instances where we had to make a decision when the tornado warning came along with sizable hail. This means making the decision to put the truck out in harm's way in order to gain access to the shelter. And, in every instance (thus far) no imminent threat of tornado actually materialized, yet the truck ends up exposed to damaging hail anyway.

Also, in the back of my mind I worry about being in the shelter after a tornado has leveled the house and the possibility of a gas tank rupture from the wife's car leaking gas in and around the shelter. I would NOT want to be in there with debris piled on top of us when a gasoline fire broke out. I do keep a fire extinguisher in the shelter now, just in case. But, that isn't really a viable solution. For the record, the shelter includes an 8-ton hydraulic jack that is intended to lift the lid up enough to escape should debris make it impossible to slide the door back, but that only gives me mild consolation. I feel sure that the jack mounting bracket and/or welds (welded to only 10 gauge steel walls mind you) would give way long before anything as heavy as 8 tons was able to be lifted. I have actually cut a 4x4 pressure-treated post to place below the bracket to help transfer some of that weight to the floor. But, the floor would probably buckle too. Who knows.

As with most things, there is no perfect solution, so you make compromises. With the benefit of hindsight, I'm not sure we'd make the same shelter decision.

Steve

#45 stellarpod, Jul 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    Ragnar406 likes this.
  6. VegasTalon

VegasTalon New Member

Ownership:
    500, Talon X
    Ride the best, use the best.
    I use a 1650 Pelican box. Had it in my Rhino, then RZR, and now my Talon X.
    It fits perfect with lots of room for gear. 20190716_075044.jpg 20190716_074942.jpg

ohanacreek, Jon_MT, JTW and 1 other person like this.
  7. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Member

Ownership:
    Talon X
    I decided to go with the poly tool box from Tractor Supply or Orscheln's $69.99 fit perfect used current holes in the bed. IMG_5151.jpg

Lil_Steve and stellarpod like this.
  8. Jon_MT

Jon_MT New Member

Ownership:
    Talon R
    I like what you did with the lid!

9. Fusefinder

Fusefinder New Member

Ownership:
    Talon X
    Following this thread

10. HondaTalonX

HondaTalonX New Member

Ownership:
    Talon X
    I went with the following:

Rubbermaid 35gal Action Packer for $40
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I1BU6E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I found it doesn't seal well enough to keep the dust out, so I'll be creating a seal for it using some type of sticky backed foam/rubber seal. It keeps the water out.

It's a really snug fit in the rear cargo area and sits just a little off center because of the flag/whip mount on the roll bar. You can see how snug it is the in the pics below.

I removed 6 of the bed bolts and replaced them with spacers under the box and longer bolts with fender washers on top. The spacers were just stacked washers which allowed me to tighten the bolts without deforming the bottom of the box. Box.jpg

stellarpod and Sheetmetalfab like this.