BOX1

Talon Share your storage options - Talon

G

GrayStillPlays

Jun 15, 2019
Florida
Ownership

1. Talon R
I ended up getting the same RTIC cooler that spentcoins had. Really liking it so far. For any min-maxers that want the best cooling solution from it, there was test done that showed the white to hold ice for half a day longer than the tan, so about 5 days in the Florida sun instead of 4.5 days. I don't really plan on needing to keep ice for 5 days, but it's still an option. Fits snug.

20190630 180506

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I ended up getting the same RTIC cooler that spentcoins had. Really liking it so far. For any min-maxers that want the best cooling solution from it, there was test done that showed the white to hold ice for half a day longer than the tan, so about 5 days in the Florida sun instead of 4.5 days. I don't really plan on needing to keep ice for 5 days, but it's still an option. Fits snug.

View attachment 141474

I have an expedition-grade cooler (Pelican). But, the Pelican would fill the entire cargo area. I use a couple of stacked Rigid boxes for my tools/recovery gear/first aid kit/etc. I recently purchased a Polar Bear Eclipse soft cooler, which nests nicely next to my Rigid stack. It's rated for 24 cans plus ten pounds of ice and I find it easily keeps them cool for over 24 hours, which is more than good enough for day trips. It's a bit pricey at $179, but appears to be really well built. I've used several other Polar Bear soft coolers in the past and have had really good results with them. I utilize Rok-Straps to keep everything in place.

20190716 052932

20190716 052831
20190716 053305

You can see the details on this cooler here: Polar Bear Eclipse

Steve

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have an expedition-grade cooler (Pelican). But, the Pelican would fill the entire cargo area. I use a couple of stacked Rigid boxes for my tools/recovery gear/first aid kit/etc. I recently purchased a Polar Bear Eclipse soft cooler, which nests nicely next to my Rigid stack. It's rated for 24 cans plus ten pounds of ice and I find it easily keeps them cool for over 24 hours, which is more than good enough for day trips. It's a bit pricey at $179, but appears to be really well built. I've used several other Polar Bear soft coolers in the past and have had really good results with them. I utilize Rok-Straps to keep everything in place.

View attachment 141481

View attachment 141482 View attachment 141483

You can see the details on this cooler here: Polar Bear Eclipse

Steve
Set up looks good - Side note - how do you like the tornado shelter? kind of a requirement living in OK I know.

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Set up looks good - Side note - how do you like the tornado shelter? kind of a requirement living in OK I know.

Honestly, if we had it to do over, I'd likely opt for a separate shelter outside of the house/garage. The shelter works, but there have been instances where we had to make a decision when the tornado warning came along with sizable hail. This means making the decision to put the truck out in harm's way in order to gain access to the shelter. And, in every instance (thus far) no imminent threat of tornado actually materialized, yet the truck ends up exposed to damaging hail anyway.

Also, in the back of my mind I worry about being in the shelter after a tornado has leveled the house and the possibility of a gas tank rupture from the wife's car leaking gas in and around the shelter. I would NOT want to be in there with debris piled on top of us when a gasoline fire broke out. I do keep a fire extinguisher in the shelter now, just in case. But, that isn't really a viable solution. For the record, the shelter includes an 8-ton hydraulic jack that is intended to lift the lid up enough to escape should debris make it impossible to slide the door back, but that only gives me mild consolation. I feel sure that the jack mounting bracket and/or welds (welded to only 10 gauge steel walls mind you) would give way long before anything as heavy as 8 tons was able to be lifted. I have actually cut a 4x4 pressure-treated post to place below the bracket to help transfer some of that weight to the floor. But, the floor would probably buckle too. Who knows.

As with most things, there is no perfect solution, so you make compromises. With the benefit of hindsight, I'm not sure we'd make the same shelter decision.

Steve

Last edited:
Reactions: BWAF and Ragnar406
H

HondaTalonX

Aug 5, 2019
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. Talon X
I went with the following:

Rubbermaid 35gal Action Packer for $40
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I1BU6E/?tag=sxsweb24-20

I found it doesn't seal well enough to keep the dust out, so I'll be creating a seal for it using some type of sticky backed foam/rubber seal. It keeps the water out.

It's a really snug fit in the rear cargo area and sits just a little off center because of the flag/whip mount on the roll bar. You can see how snug it is the in the pics below.

I removed 6 of the bed bolts and replaced them with spacers under the box and longer bolts with fender washers on top. The spacers were just stacked washers which allowed me to tighten the bolts without deforming the bottom of the box.
Box

Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Ride the best, use the best.
I use a 1650 Pelican box. Had it in my Rhino, then RZR, and now my Talon X.
It fits perfect with lots of room for gear.View attachment 141609 View attachment 141610
Are you having issues with the 2 latches on the side closes to the back? Its such a close fit that its not easy to get them open when i tried mine in there yesterday

D

DRKnight

Jan 31, 2019
Yuma, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X
20191028 103333 20191017 155732 1 20191017 160016 1 20191017 155820 I made my own storage box out of aluminum, and made it to fit the whole rear box area. Then had it Rhino lined outside and carpeted the insides, insulated the bottom then added a heavy duty floor mat to the bottom.20191017 160016 1 20191017 155820
20191028 103333 20191017 155732 1

D

DRKnight

Jan 31, 2019
Yuma, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X
Must have hit something twice... doubled up on pictures

Reactions: BWAF
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Honestly, if we had it to do over, I'd likely opt for a separate shelter outside of the house/garage. The shelter works, but there have been instances where we had to make a decision when the tornado warning came along with sizable hail. This means making the decision to put the truck out in harm's way in order to gain access to the shelter. And, in every instance (thus far) no imminent threat of tornado actually materialized, yet the truck ends up exposed to damaging hail anyway.

Also, in the back of my mind I worry about being in the shelter after a tornado has leveled the house and the possibility of a gas tank rupture from the wife's car leaking gas in and around the shelter. I would NOT want to be in there with debris piled on top of us when a gasoline fire broke out. I do keep a fire extinguisher in the shelter now, just in case. But, that isn't really a viable solution. For the record, the shelter includes an 8-ton hydraulic jack that is intended to lift the lid up enough to escape should debris make it impossible to slide the door back, but that only gives me mild consolation. I feel sure that the jack mounting bracket and/or welds (welded to only 10 gauge steel walls mind you) would give way long before anything as heavy as 8 tons was able to be lifted. I have actually cut a 4x4 pressure-treated post to place below the bracket to help transfer some of that weight to the floor. But, the floor would probably buckle too. Who knows.

As with most things, there is no perfect solution, so you make compromises. With the benefit of hindsight, I'm not sure we'd make the same shelter decision.

Steve
My first thought was it was a pit for working on cars.....tornados aren't really a thing UP here

J

JTW

D

DRKnight

Jan 31, 2019
Yuma, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X
e
Where do you put the cooler?

I use the AO soft side coolers. I have the 12, 24 & 36 can size and anyone will fit inside the storage box if need be.
But I have a rack not shown between the box and the rear window with tie downs that will accommodate them also.

I purposely built the rack for overnight camping trips to haul things like a coot, tent, lawn chairs ect.
When not used for that it holds up to three, 3 gal. gas cans.
I have a 6 gal. gas can that rides on the passenger floor board for long overnight passages as I do not take a passenger on those trips.
Plus the passenger seat is removed and I am in the process of building storage area there for more items.

Might sound like a lot, but our group goes on a lot of multi-day long distance rides in Utah & Arizona.
And we like to be comfortable, comes with getting older..
I will post pictures of the rack behind the box when I get them taken...DRK

J

JTW

e

I use the AO soft side coolers. I have the 12, 24 & 36 can size and anyone will fit inside the storage box if need be.
But I have a rack not shown between the box and the rear window with tie downs that will accommodate them also.

I purposely built the rack for overnight camping trips to haul things like a coot, tent, lawn chairs ect.
When not used for that it holds up to three, 3 gal. gas cans.
I have a 6 gal. gas can that rides on the passenger floor board for long overnight passages as I do not take a passenger on those trips.
Plus the passenger seat is removed and I am in the process of building storage area there for more items.

Might sound like a lot, but our group goes on a lot of multi-day long distance rides in Utah & Arizona.
And we like to be comfortable, comes with getting older..
I will post pictures of the rack behind the box when I get them taken...DRK
We do a lot of overland riding... Moab being one of those places. I like your setup and exactly why I asked where the cooler went. I’ve contemplated going to the talon but we’ll see.

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anyone running. A talon 4 seat with the rear seat delete and a rack back there. Very popular in the Rzr world for riders who would need the utility style storage but want the sport sxs abilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Walmart. I think it was about $15 dollars
View attachment 166512

What box is that? Does it seal decent? Been looking for one that is some what skinny front to back, so some brackets can be made to hold a relatively small cooler. Your looks pretty shallow, but a snug fit from side to side

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!