Talon Share your storage options - Talon

GoTalon

GoTalon

Feb 7, 2020
Yuma, Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
Looking for ideas for storage in the Talon?

I have bought and returned several different storage boxes and tool box combinations. Finally found a decent setup for me but always looking for better ideas.

I ended up with a cheap Contico storage locker and cooler from Walmart. While the storage locker isnt the best quality and a little flimsy, it does fit awesome. Also found a 30 can cooler that fits nicely inside the box and leaves plenty of room for tools, recovery gear, etc. I used it over the weekend with straps holding it down but plan to mount it more permanently. It was a nuisance taking the straps on and off every time I needed a beverage.

Here are some pics of my setup. Please share yours!

View attachment 120206 View attachment 120207 View attachment 120209 View attachment 120211 View attachment 120213
We bought basically the exact same como of box and ice chest (although my lid looks a bit different than yours) super inexpensive and somewhat flimsy but for the price I could literally buy a dozen and still be less than Honda’s box.
Anyway just buy four small D-rings and rivet them up high and above the corresponding tie down points and use four of those bungee cords with a ball on the end. I knew it would move around a bit so I made a cut-out of a 1/2“ foam that I bought at Harbor Freight to match the bottom and protect the bed (probably not necessary, but I like to keep it nice)
So I have a good 500+ hard Desert miles with it and a day at Glamis and zero problems!
i keep a few extra bungees in the box, but haven’t needed them yet.
also I bought four extra d-rings and riveted them to the lid on top just in case I ever needed to strap something on top.
Also you can open the lid anytime and remove the whole box in seconds!

Reactions: stellarpod
TerryH

TerryH

Supporting Member
Sep 13, 2019
Springdale, Ar
Ownership

1. Talon X
I posted this in my build thread but though I'd share it here as well. As some others have done I went for the Tractor Supply 32" box. Few mods to make it function better. I deleted the hasp and replaced with 2 rubber cooler latches from Amazon. I mounted 4 D rings from Harbor Freight to allow use of the factory D rings to secure the box using some 1" nylon straps I got on Amazon. Foam weatherstripping to help seal the lid but may do something different. More experimenting this weekend with other seals. 30 can Coleman soft side cooler also from Amazon fits perfectly.

49504227797 de3410f165 bIMG_0831 (2) by TerryHatfield, on Flickr

49504016816 37ab71eff2 bIMG_0801 by TerryHatfield, on Flickr

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Looking for ideas for storage in the Talon?

I have bought and returned several different storage boxes and tool box combinations. Finally found a decent setup for me but always looking for better ideas.

I ended up with a cheap Contico storage locker and cooler from Walmart. While the storage locker isnt the best quality and a little flimsy, it does fit awesome. Also found a 30 can cooler that fits nicely inside the box and leaves plenty of room for tools, recovery gear, etc. I used it over the weekend with straps holding it down but plan to mount it more permanently. It was a nuisance taking the straps on and off every time I needed a beverage.

Here are some pics of my setup. Please share yours!

View attachment 120206 View attachment 120207 View attachment 120209 View attachment 120211 View attachment 120213
Very nice, does that one seem to be rain tight?

jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I’ve made another revision to my cargo setup and customized a Milwaukee Packout mounting plate so that I can have modular storage. I’m using compact Packout organizers and will be using a Packout “ammo can” when they start shipping from pre-orders.

If I didn’t have the sub enclosure I would’ve just used the entire mounting plate with a full size Packout toolbox, but I think this will work nicely with my sub enclosure.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ve made another revision to my cargo setup and customized a Milwaukee Packout mounting plate so that I can have modular storage. I’m using compact Packout organizers and will be using a Packout “ammo can” when they start shipping from pre-orders.

If I didn’t have the sub enclosure I would’ve just used the entire mounting plate with a full size Packout toolbox, but I think this will work nicely with my sub enclosure.

I recently switched to the packout system and have been very happy. Looking forward to the ”ammo can” one that was supposed to start shipping this week - actually received notification that it was delayed until later in month.

never thought about halfing the mounting plate that is a great idea. There is someone out there making metal mounting plates as well. Justin Ward (@rainbowlanespeed) • Instagram photos and videos

Last edited:
Reactions: jasond
Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

Nice, looking to switch from the Ridgid boxes to Milwaukee because the mounting system. Wasnt aware of the ammo can style but looks good. Nice video

Reactions: jasond
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

Cool, where do you buy those MP’s at?

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5

You may have some luck with your local Home Depot - the one here just started carrying - it is MAP priced - I have seen sales on the Tool boxes but not yet on the MP.

Here is a pic I copied from Instagram of the box and the inside - These will likely be hard to get for a while - there is a cult following for the Packout system.

jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

I bought the compact organizers from Home Depot With some gift cards I had. The ammo can style box is coming from Acme Tools when it’s out of the pre-order stage.

Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

You may have some luck with your local Home Depot - the one here just started carrying - it is MAP priced - I have seen sales on the Tool boxes but not yet on the MP.

Here is a pic I copied from Instagram of the box and the inside - These will likely be hard to get for a while - there is a cult following for the Packout system.
View attachment 183676View attachment 183684
Nice, going to HD tomorrow. Hope they have that and the mounting plate. Looks like the cooler i need to order.

Reactions: Ragnar406
jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Nice, going to HD tomorrow. Hope they have that and the mounting plate. Looks like the cooler i need to order.

You should be able to check inventory on Home Depot's website. If they don't have it I've also found them at my local Rural King stores (similar to Tractor Supply Co. if you're not familiar with them) if you have Rural King in your area.

I've never personally seen or used the cooler, but if Milwaukee makes it, then it's probably well made.

Looking forward to seeing your setup once you get it.

Reactions: Ragnar406
Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
You should be able to check inventory on Home Depot's website. If they don't have it I've also found them at my local Rural King stores (similar to Tractor Supply Co. if you're not familiar with them) if you have Rural King in your area.

I've never personally seen or used the cooler, but if Milwaukee makes it, then it's probably well made.

Inventory online said to call. But i have to go anyway so ill just see what they have. dont like all the pocekts on the cooler, but i like how it mounts, the size, and being Milwaukee it should be good. Dont have Rural King, my next options would be Grainger or Ace Hardware both with are typically more expensive.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Inventory online said to call. But i have to go anyway so ill just see what they have. dont like all the pocekts on the cooler, but i like how it mounts, the size, and being Milwaukee it should be good. Dont have Rural King, my next options would be Grainger or Ace Hardware both with are typically more expensive.

The Milwaukee packout stuff is addictive -

J

JTW

I think I’m gonna pick up one of those 6” tall boxes as well
You may as well get the larger one. They’re only $10 more and give you a lot more room. I’ve been running the ridged for a long time and really liked the system. But I think the Milwaukee just does it better.

Reactions: TripleB and Mudwing
Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
You may as well get the larger one. They’re only $10 more and give you a lot more room. I’ve been running the ridged for a long time and really liked the system. But I think the Milwaukee just does it better.
I plan to get a few different ones. Don’t want to go too high in the back of the Talon. Figure I’ll see what works and return what I don’t need

Reactions: JTW

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!