Talon Share your storage options - Talon

J

jaymohn

Aug 9, 2019
Cincinnati
Ownership

1. Talon X
I've got the moose box. Fits great with my Dirt Road Fab tailgate extender. I can fit my rtic 30 soft side cooler between it and the extender and still have room for a vp gas can if needed.

I mounted 4 hooks on it and use mini bunji cords on the back through the factory tie downs. In the front of the box I used 2 of the bunji cords with the balls through the factory tie downs and then looped over corner on the box lid. I also put some rubber weather strip on the bottom to cut down vibration. Box doesn't move even hitting high speed bumps.

I think the tractor supply box might be taller, but this one fits everything I need and came with keyed locks. Overall, I'm satisfied.

View attachment 201427 View attachment 201428
Hi Dennis. I like how beefy that DR fab tailgate. Are you going to mount a spare tire on it? If you do please let me know how it supports the weight hanging off the back of the machine. I have the JEI tailgate with spare and it work but can't find a way to keep it from making all kinds of rattling noise. Replaced most of the hardware with through bolts and nylock nuts to really cinch it tight but still makes horrific noise. I reach out to the manufacturer and they are working on a fix but nothing yet.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Hi Dennis. I like how beefy that DR fab tailgate. Are you going to mount a spare tire on it? If you do please let me know how it supports the weight hanging off the back of the machine. I have the JEI tailgate with spare and it work but can't find a way to keep it from making all kinds of rattling noise. Replaced most of the hardware with through bolts and nylock nuts to really cinch it tight but still makes horrific noise. I reach out to the manufacturer and they are working on a fix but nothing yet.
This doesn't answer your question about the rattling but the DRF tailgate is available with or without a spare tire mount. I'll end up with one eventually but my spare will be mounted on the Factory UTV mount. It doesn't rattle, isn't hanging way off the back and is tall enough that I can open my storage box. My problem might become - my Talon will fit in the garage on the trailer with an inch to spare - I don't have a spare yet but it might screw that up, don't know yet. I have the TSC 32" storage box using @TerryH 's video instructions and parts list. 👍

I qCfTrmn M

That's a blurry Pike's Peak in the background. :(
I zLkF3ZG M

Reactions: TerryH
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
This doesn't answer your question about the rattling but the DRF tailgate is available with or without a spare tire mount. I'll end up with one eventually but my spare will be mounted on the Factory UTV mount. It doesn't rattle, isn't hanging way off the back and is tall enough that I can open my storage box. My problem might become - my Talon will fit in the garage on the trailer with an inch to spare - I don't have a spare yet but it might screw that up, don't know yet. I have the TSC 32" storage box using @TerryH 's video instructions and parts list. 👍

View attachment 201490

That's a blurry Pike's Peak in the background. :(
View attachment 201491
I have the Factory UTV spare mount and am thinking about getting something different, with the spare mounted flat it creates enough drag that above 20 mph the cab fills with dust & sand. I changed it to a 40* degree tilt to see if it helps. It kind of defeats the purpose because with it tilted it's very difficult to get in the bed. :confused:

Reactions: Sheetmetalfab
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have the Factory UTV spare mount and am thinking about getting something different, with the spare mounted flat it creates enough drag that above 20 mph the cab fills with dust & sand. I changed it to a 40* degree tilt to see if it helps. It kind of defeats the purpose because with it tilted it's very difficult to get in the bed. :confused:
Bummer. Looks like a rear window of some sort is in my future too. :oops: Maybe I'll reconsider the DRF spare mount when I buy. Thanks for the heads up.

D

denniswestfall

Supporting Member
Oct 11, 2018
US
The rear extender is very beefy. They do make the option with a spare tire holder on it. I didnt get it since I want to keep the talon as short as possible for fitting in a future toyhauler. I just carry a decent 12v compressor and a good automotive plug/patch kit.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Looking for ideas for storage in the Talon?

I have bought and returned several different storage boxes and tool box combinations. Finally found a decent setup for me but always looking for better ideas.

I ended up with a cheap Contico storage locker and cooler from Walmart. While the storage locker isnt the best quality and a little flimsy, it does fit awesome. Also found a 30 can cooler that fits nicely inside the box and leaves plenty of room for tools, recovery gear, etc. I used it over the weekend with straps holding it down but plan to mount it more permanently. It was a nuisance taking the straps on and off every time I needed a beverage.

Here are some pics of my setup. Please share yours!

View attachment 120206 View attachment 120207 View attachment 120209 View attachment 120211 View attachment 120213
How are you liking this set up having used it for a while?

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
How are you liking this set up having used it for a while?

Haven’t found anything better for day trips. Sometimes carry more tools and parts, sometimes 2 coolers. I like that only the tote. needs cleaned after a trip and not multiple coolers and containers.

Walmart stopped carrying the tote pictured but I found a slightly better tote that is the same size at Dunham’s. It wont work with the SuperATV tailgate though. 33"x19" Storage Locker

I definitely could still use more storage. Trying to figure out something better for an Overland trip this weekend.

rbtnt

rbtnt

Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2015
Ownership

1. Talon X
I am still using the Contico storage locker and cooler from Walmart. I installed the SuperATV tailgate and had to raise the Contico storage box 1" for the tailgate installation.

Reactions: Montecresto
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Haven’t found anything better for day trips. Sometimes carry more tools and parts, sometimes 2 coolers. I like that only the tote. needs cleaned after a trip and not multiple coolers and containers.

Walmart stopped carrying the tote pictured but I found a slightly better tote that is the same size at Dunham’s. It wont work with the SuperATV tailgate though. 33"x19" Storage Locker

I definitely could still use more storage. Trying to figure out something better for an Overland trip this weekend.
Yeah, I was at Walmart yesterday to pick one up and they didn’t have it. However, it appears that it can be ordered on line....

I’ll take a look at the new one you listed. Are you going to get it too?

It seems that new one can’t be ordered on line.

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I have the Dunham’s box in a 4 seat talon. Box is heavier, not a fan of the plastic latches but have held so far.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I have the Dunham’s box in a 4 seat talon. Box is heavier, not a fan of the plastic latches but have held so far.
X4 is what I’m needing storage for. Do you know if it can be ordered on line? I’m nowhere near the stores.

Yeah, the steel latches on the Contico box are obviously better.

W

Wilson1

Mar 25, 2020
Salt Lake City Ut
Ownership

1. Talon R
I saw a video on line about a guy using this Tractor Supply storage box.
Tractor Supply Co. Heavy-Duty Poly Utility Storage Box, 32 in. at Tractor Supply Co.

It fits perfect, but you need to put a 1/2x1/4 door foam seal around lid lip. In the video they used some straps to hold the box to the stock tie downs and some rubber lid latches. Don't waste your time with those. With the seal I just put a small clip in the stock latch and it works fine. I use bungees to hold in it so it is easy to get out so you can clean the machine and box after a ride. I also had some flat rubber material laying around so I contact cemented some round feet to the bottom of the box so the stock plastic wouldn't get all scratched up. Not perfect, but cost effective and works for me.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
That’s cool, and that store is nearby. I’ll give it a look.. thanks for posting it...👍

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I saw a video on line about a guy using this Tractor Supply storage box.
Tractor Supply Co. Heavy-Duty Poly Utility Storage Box, 32 in. at Tractor Supply Co.

It fits perfect, but you need to put a 1/2x1/4 door foam seal around lid lip. In the video they used some straps to hold the box to the stock tie downs and some rubber lid latches. Don't waste your time with those. With the seal I just put a small clip in the stock latch and it works fine. I use bungees to hold in it so it is easy to get out so you can clean the machine and box after a ride. I also had some flat rubber material laying around so I contact cemented some round feet to the bottom of the box so the stock plastic wouldn't get all scratched up. Not perfect, but cost effective and works for me.

TSC boxes are better built, just not as big.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
TSC boxes are better built, just not as big.
Yep, I see that now. The 30 can Walmart cooler won’t fit in it...🤔

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I have an expedition-grade cooler (Pelican). But, the Pelican would fill the entire cargo area. I use a couple of stacked Rigid boxes for my tools/recovery gear/first aid kit/etc. I recently purchased a Polar Bear Eclipse soft cooler, which nests nicely next to my Rigid stack. It's rated for 24 cans plus ten pounds of ice and I find it easily keeps them cool for over 24 hours, which is more than good enough for day trips. It's a bit pricey at $179, but appears to be really well built. I've used several other Polar Bear soft coolers in the past and have had really good results with them. I utilize Rok-Straps to keep everything in place.

View attachment 141481

View attachment 141482 View attachment 141483

You can see the details on this cooler here: Polar Bear Eclipse

Steve
Any idea if that setup works with the AM tailgate???

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I posted this in my build thread but though I'd share it here as well. As some others have done I went for the Tractor Supply 32" box. Few mods to make it function better. I deleted the hasp and replaced with 2 rubber cooler latches from Amazon. I mounted 4 D rings from Harbor Freight to allow use of the factory D rings to secure the box using some 1" nylon straps I got on Amazon. Foam weatherstripping to help seal the lid but may do something different. More experimenting this weekend with other seals. 30 can Coleman soft side cooler also from Amazon fits perfectly.

View attachment 182680IMG_0831 (2) by TerryHatfield, on Flickr

View attachment 182681IMG_0801 by TerryHatfield, on Flickr

Wow! That looks like the ticket right there. Did you use the soft cooler that he has? If so, how many cans with a bag of ice will really fit?

Reactions: stellarpod

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!