P1000 Shift Cable Adjustment

B

bigblue2101

Aug 31, 2018
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just bought a plow for my rig. While plowing I noticed that it was struggling to get into low sometimes.

Per research on here, I tried to adjust the shift cable. Accidentally moved the lever out of neutral when checking free play. Not sure if that matters.

Now that it seems centered, it lurches more than it ever did before. If under load when on light throttle, it will actually stall out if it starts to bounce.

I tried tinkering with the adjustment to get it better, but still lurches a bit and will stall occasionally. Is one turn of the nut a lot or a little.

Am I doing something wrong? It didn’t do this before I adjusted the cable. I’ve moved it so much I’m not sure where I started any more.

Reactions: sharp and BWAF
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Just bought a plow for my rig. While plowing I noticed that it was struggling to get into low sometimes.

Per research on here, I tried to adjust the shift cable. Accidentally moved the lever out of neutral when checking free play. Not sure if that matters.

Now that it seems centered, it lurches more than it ever did before. If under load when on light throttle, it will actually stall out if it starts to bounce.

I tried tinkering with the adjustment to get it better, but still lurches a bit and will stall occasionally. Is one turn of the nut a lot or a little.

Am I doing something wrong? It didn’t do this before I adjusted the cable. I’ve moved it so much I’m not sure where I started any more.
It’s been a long time since I had to adjust mine, but if I recall correctly, there was marks on each side of the housing of where it needed to be adjusted to. Also keep that box free of debris, including water. I just read where one member had a problem and when he opened the box it was an ice cube in it. And you’re up north...:)

Last edited:
B

bigblue2101

Aug 31, 2018
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It’s been a long time since I had to adjust mine, but if I recall correctly, there was marks on each side of the housing of where it needed to be adjusted to. Also keep that box free of debris, including water. I just read where one member had a problem and when he opened the box it was an ice cube in it. And you’re up north...:)

Thanks for your reply. I’m talking about the adjuster under the battery. It seems somewhat intermittent. I was just using it under load while in a small ride to check the woods and it stalled out. Never did that before I made the adjustment. 2wd/turf/4wd seem to work as expected with proper dash indication.

Reactions: BWAF
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Thanks for your reply. I’m talking about the adjuster under the battery. It seems somewhat intermittent. I was just using it under load while in a small ride to check the woods and it stalled out. Never did that before I made the adjustment. 2wd/turf/4wd seem to work as expected with proper dash indication.
Oops, my bad there. I had the box under the dump bed, directly behind the driver in mind. :rolleyes:

B

bigblue2101

Aug 31, 2018
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No problem on the drive mode selector.

I did already try the clutch reset, sorry I didn’t mention it though.

Any other thoughts?

Reactions: BWAF and sharp
B

bigblue2101

Aug 31, 2018
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anyone have anything else? It is still really bouncing around and my wife is getting pi**ed.

If all I did was adjust the gear shift cable, I should be able to get it back. If I moved the cable while it was free, do I need to reset the shift arm on the sub trans? I have the clutch update, I shouldn't have cooked the clutches plowing, I was sure to not operate the winch and drive at the same time (no 2nd battery yet).

Here is an example: Plowing snow last night under light throttle coming up to a mound. When the vehicle stops, without adjusting the throttle, the idle drops down to 4-500rpms for a half sec before recovering back to ~1000. Sometimes it doesn't do this, sometimes it goes lower and stalls.

B

bigblue2101

Aug 31, 2018
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok, I think I figured it out. The issue was coincidental with my cable adjustment and plow install. For more context, it’s had a long crank on startup for a while and sometimes required a key cycle.

Regardless, it was the engine ground by the starter. I got a few tightening turns out of it. I also checked the other two, they weren’t loose, but gave them a quarter turn to clean the connection up.

Pulls out butter smooth now, starts right up and all is good. Didn’t seem to fit the common symptoms of a bad ground I found on here, so I wanted to make sure to report back if it happens to anyone else.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!