Shift knob removal

wyogz

wyogz

Nov 23, 2020
Cheyenne, WY
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I have a 2021 1000X-4 Talon. Does anyone know how the shift knob is removed, it doesn't unscrew and I tried to pull it off also, I need to remove it to install an aluminum shift plate.

Reactions: TxDoc
P

PT1911

Oct 20, 2020
SE MN
Ownership

1. Talon X4
The shaft has flat flanges on two sides so it doesn’t really twist off. It does pulls straight off, but it is extremely hard!

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Heat the knob. It’s a rubbery plastic and it will get softer with heat. Unfortunately you need to heat it all the way through to make it easy to remove.

Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Heat the knob. It’s a rubbery plastic and it will get softer with heat. Unfortunately you need to heat it all the way through to make it easy to remove.
Ok thanks. I have had mine off a couple times but a person could break some body parts when it releases. LOL

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Thanks to all, heated the knob up and it pulled straight up and off. New shift gate on and looking good.
Those shift gates look great and really helps the alignment, no more partial engagements....👍

T

TheyCallMeOne

Jan 6, 2021
Forsyth, GA
Ownership

1. Talon R
I had the same struggle and wound up using vice grips and a tie-down strapped to the top of the cage to ratchet it off.

NMelkaholic

NMelkaholic

Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2018
New Mexico
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just removed mine yesterday.... I used a small piece of plywood placed it on the dash under the knob and used a claw hammer and gently pried it off... came off really easy like that.

Reactions: tmbrcruizr and CID
S

ScottJ24

Lifetime Member
Nov 30, 2020
Cresson, TX
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Heat and a ratchet strap and it came right off. Here is a
pic of the shifter shaft. Good luck twisting it off.

20230304 114723

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: CID and Hawk53
Sparks

Sparks

Jan 11, 2021
Northern Wiscosnin
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
Just removed mine yesterday.... I used a small piece of plywood placed it on the dash under the knob and used a claw hammer and gently pried it off... came off really easy like that.
I did the same, 2x4, open end wrench and a pry bar. Placed a nice fitting open end wrench above the pry bar and under the knob and it works well. Just take your time and let it slide off, a nice clean removal.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!