Shifter Removal

L

LBZDZL

May 31, 2021
California
Ownership

1. Talon R
Good morning fellow Talon owners! Has anyone here removed the factory shift lever and replaced with a dragon fire racing one? I am in the process of doing the shifter boot install as well as a hess shift plate and while I was at it decided I would like to replace the chunky shift knob. I am having a bit of an issue removing the old shift lever though and wanted to know if anyone has any experience with this? Do I need to disconnect from the shift cable and remove the whole unit, or is there a shortcut? Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Smitty335
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Grab the shift knob, twist it back and forth several times to break the glue bond and then pull like hell straight up. I did my shift plate swap without pulling anything out of my Talon.

Reactions: Smitty335
sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Grab the shift knob, twist it back and forth several times to break the glue bond and then pull like hell straight up. I did my shift plate swap without pulling anything out of my Talon.
I think he means the whole shifter not the knob

• Haha
Reactions: Montecresto
L

LBZDZL

May 31, 2021
California
Ownership

1. Talon R
I am talking about the shift lever, not just the knob. The knob is a relatively easy process.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Does this exploded view help at all?...

Reactions: Remington
L

LBZDZL

May 31, 2021
California
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks for the diagram Paul, I can see how it goes together pretty easily on the machine. I am looking for any real world experience from anyone who has actually removed one before. It looks like I may have to remove the whole assembly and then remove the spring in order to get the shift lever off. Just was wondering if there was a shortcut that people have used before I go through that.😁

JS45

JS45

Jul 23, 2020
Fla
Ownership

1. Talon R
You gotta pop the center console out then remove the shift gate. Then unscrew the pivot bolt/nut from the above diagram and remove it then pop the spring off and it comes right out. And I didn’t mess with removing the rubber knob. Just left it on the stock lever. I put the dragon fire lever on mine.

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!