P1000 Shifting issues

Buckshotaz

Buckshotaz

Mar 1, 2016
Arizona
Last weekend I did my 1200 mile service, drove it around the block and everything was cool. My son asked if he could take it out for a spin, with some of his friends and everything looked cool when he got back.

This morning, I decide to drive it to work and after I started it, shifting from park to reverse was a little stiff. Shifting from reverse to high took some effort with a noticeable "clunk" when I got it in high.

My son is out of town so I can't ask what happened on his joy ride, so I was wondering if anyone has had shifting issues like I have described?

Buckshotaz

Buckshotaz

Mar 1, 2016
Arizona
Ok, I had time to look at my situation further, while the shifting from park to reverse and then to high has not fixed itself, I did find that if the engine is not running, the shifting handle moves easy (normal) but after engine is stsrted, very difficult to move????

Any aadvice would be appreciated

Buckshotaz

Buckshotaz

Mar 1, 2016
Arizona
One more thing, when I shift into reverse or high, the buggy wants to start moving without giving it any gas? The rpm doesn't appear higher than I remember?

W

wyodlr

Aug 15, 2016
Cody Wyoming
Ownership

1. 1000-5
check the free play in the gas pedal there is a sensor on it that shouldn't let the tranny engage without pressure on pedal

Buckshotaz

Buckshotaz

Mar 1, 2016
Arizona
I will look at the adjustment on the cables and the sensor, thanks for responding

An idea that just popped into my head is, is it possible that the oil I used in the oil change was the wrong kind? I know I used 10w30 but there are different kinds of oil, correct?

Reactions: GlockMeister
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I will look at the adjustment on the cables and the sensor, thanks for responding

An idea that just popped into my head is, is it possible that the oil I used in the oil change was the wrong kind? I know I used 10w30 but there are different kinds of oil, correct?
It has to be a Jaso rated oil for wet clutches.

Buckshotaz

Buckshotaz

Mar 1, 2016
Arizona
I'm going to change the oil to jaso rated oil and see if that fixes the problem. It is acting like the clutch is not working properly

Reactions: elkguide
lrandy129

lrandy129

Curmudgeon
Lifetime Member
Nov 4, 2016
NELA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Oil may end up being the culprit, but @GlockMeister 's post makes sense to me; I'd check the cables.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Last weekend I did my 1200 mile service, drove it around the block and everything was cool. My son asked if he could take it out for a spin, with some of his friends and everything looked cool when he got back.

This morning, I decide to drive it to work and after I started it, shifting from park to reverse was a little stiff. Shifting from reverse to high took some effort with a noticeable "clunk" when I got it in high.

My son is out of town so I can't ask what happened on his joy ride, so I was wondering if anyone has had shifting issues like I have described?

Sounds like the clutch is not disengaged fully. Could be because of the oil used? I hope so. Another possibility could be a clutch lining come off and it's keeping it slightly engaged.

Let's hope for the better!

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Pay attention to the oil color. If it's dark pull the filters also. Dark = clutch disk. Conventional oil has additives to reduce friction and is not good for a wet clutch. Might not hurt to flush the oil again soon to try to get as much of the other stuff out.

Reactions: pct, JTW and Jakey
Buckshotaz

Buckshotaz

Mar 1, 2016
Arizona
Update: I changed the oil and the oil was dark, way too dark for only having 10 miles on it. With the clean oil I saw no improvement in the clutch.

Is there any way to flush out the system beyond draining the oil?

I'm thinking something is plugged up and not allowing clutch to work properly?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Doesn't sound good. Dark oil means clutch fibers if it's that quick.

CP: This group looked for anything rough and had a great time. It wasn't all about who was the best or correct line just some good ol boys with a beer and a 4wd.

Buckshotaz

Buckshotaz

Mar 1, 2016
Arizona
So, with other clutch issues that have been discussed, is this something I should look at as far as a warranty issue?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
So, with other clutch issues that have been discussed, is this something I should look at as far as a warranty issue?

If you have warranty, I'd take it in. Tell them about the dark oil. @JACKAL I believe had clutches fail and his was very hard to shift.

Reactions: ohanacreek
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
If you have warranty, I'd take it in. Tell them about the dark oil. @JACKAL I believe had clutches fail and his was very hard to shift.
No mine shifted fine via the sub-transmission as the OP described R to H. If I was a guessing man that issue from the "joy ride" sounds like someone treating it like a car to do a burn out, speed up in reverse then slam it into drive and hammer it. Which if done in that manner will bend the shifting fork. I did bend a shifting fork trying to get off trail 26 that got @JTW clutch after I bent a tie rod and was in a predicament myself.

As far as dark oil and clutches burnt does the machine rev up 2K RPM higher shifting into 3rd and 5th gear? If the clutch slips noticeably shifting into those to gears and revs on take off in 1st and reverse the starter clutch is fried. Mine did that at 1st oil change with 168 miles on it. I still can't explain why it happened then, that first 168 miles was all back roads except 45 miles of easy trails with the family.

My clutch went out a second time with 1200 miles on it after 10 hours of constant extreme rock trails, I know exactly what happened there as I also broke 2 axles that day and still drove it in with one wheel drive.

It appears that either people get a machine that holds up or one that doesn't as far as the clutches. As it is about 3% of the P1K have clutch issues, and in that 3% several have had it go more than once.

My advice is take it to a dealer for warranty if it is slipping and be sure to ask them to check if the shifting fork in the sub-transmission is bent. Mine was repaired twice under warranty without any problems, Honda stood by thier warranty.

Buckshotaz

Buckshotaz

Mar 1, 2016
Arizona
No mine shifted fine via the sub-transmission as the OP described R to H. If I was a guessing man that issue from the "joy ride" sounds like someone treating it like a car to do a burn out, speed up in reverse then slam it into drive and hammer it. Which if done in that manner will bend the shifting fork. I did bend a shifting fork trying to get off trail 26 that got @JTW clutch after I bent a tie rod and was in a predicament myself.

As far as dark oil and clutches burnt does the machine rev up 2K RPM higher shifting into 3rd and 5th gear? If the clutch slips noticeably shifting into those to gears and revs on take off in 1st and reverse the starter clutch is fried. Mine did that at 1st oil change with 168 miles on it. I still can't explain why it happened then, that first 168 miles was all back roads except 45 miles of easy trails with the family.

My clutch went out a second time with 1200 miles on it after 10 hours of constant extreme rock trails, I know exactly what happened there as I also broke 2 axles that day and still drove it in with one wheel drive.

It appears that either people get a machine that holds up or one that doesn't as far as the clutches. As it is about 3% of the P1K have clutch issues, and in that 3% several have had it go more than once.

My advice is take it to a dealer for warranty if it is slipping and be sure to ask them to check if the shifting fork in the sub-transmission is bent. Mine was repaired twice under warranty without any problems, Honda stood by thier warranty.
My issue is a little different, I don't think there is any slipping, almost the opposite.

Once in gear, it goes through the gears fine without any issues that I can tell?

The issue is more like a standard transmission and you don't push the clutch peddle all the way in? It wants to go without giving it any gas?

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Might try a clutch reset.

J

Jshell3

Is there a clutch tension adjustment bolt or screw?

Just asking, because I'm dumb... and the 500's have one.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!