P500 Shifting question

S

Stoneman

Sep 30, 2016
Maggie Valley
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Just trying out a 16, 500 yesterday and when we took
It for a test ride this thing slammed into gear both up shifting and down. Sales guy said I should get off the gas at shift to slam less. It didn't. It was a hard slam at each gear enough to jerk us around.
Is this typical?
Thanks

drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Mary's Ridge (Dayton Mtn), TN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I know the 1000 shift abruptly when new. I have almost 500miles on mine now and it's much smoother.. I believe most everyone will attest that they get smoother as they wear in.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
It for a test ride this thing slammed into gear both up shifting and down. Sales guy said I should get off the gas at shift to slam less. It didn't. It was a hard slam at each gear enough to jerk us around.
Is this typical?
Thanks
It shifts like that. It will smooth out a bit over time, as it breaks in. After driving it a while, you will develop a technique to help shift smoother. Can't really explain it... Also, I switched to Amsoil full synthetic after a few hundred miles (did my first two oil changes with Honda oil at around 100 mile intervals). The synthetic made it shift noticeably quieter and smoother.

Reactions: trigger and rocmar
J

Jshell3

I 3rd the above 2 comments about the hard shifting, relinquishing after a couple hundred miles and oil changes. The clunky noises will subside, too. In fact, the shifting actually gets better if you stay in the gas (some) between shifts, rather than off (completely).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: trigger and rocmar
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Is this typical?
Thanks
Use a good JASO synthetic, experiment with the shifting, wait for break in to occur, and as Jshell3 said, keep in the gas just a little and it's better. And as ehart said, it's kind of hard to explain but it's typically normal.

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Is this typical?
Thanks
Salesman is wrong . Accelerate when up shifting and it seems odd but if you do the same when you down shift it will be smooth and as you get the hang of it , smoooth as butter .

Reactions: rocmar
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Apparently you all just need to all buy a 2017..
Haha
not.
once you do oil change
you will notice a difference
.....like we all did

Reactions: JTW
S

Stoneman

Sep 30, 2016
Maggie Valley
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thanks to all for the response. I shopped around for a better price and that sales guy said if they are not warmed up they can slam into gear. But with his pricing with NO fees or tax I did order a 17 for the auto tranny. Out the door $8,799 all in.
New question, is there anywhere other than Honda to order add ons like skid plates and rear cargo tray. Their prices hurt!
Thanks

J

Jshell3

Congrats Stoneman! You should change your Ownership status.
If you can work the google, you can find the stuff.
Or take a little time and search for it on this forum.

***Warning... you'll be $2,000 in accessories in no time... Doesn't matter where you find them. (And you'll be happy about it, too)

advertisement
S

Stoneman

Sep 30, 2016
Maggie Valley
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Congrats Stoneman! You should change your Ownership status.
If you can work the google, you can find the stuff.
Or take a little time and search for it on this forum.

***Warning... you'll be $2,000 in accessories in no time... Doesn't matter where you find them. (And you'll be happy about it, too)

Thanks, it is the 2000 that hurts!!!

J

JTW

Thanks to all for the response. I shopped around for a better price and that sales guy said if they are not warmed up they can slam into gear. But with his pricing with NO fees or tax I did order a 17 for the auto tranny. Out the door $8,799 all in.
New question, is there anywhere other than Honda to order add ons like skid plates and rear cargo tray. Their prices hurt!
Thanks
Congrats.. there are a lot of other options for the p500.. strongmade makes a basket many of us are happy with. SuperATV has windshield and other options too.
Like Jshell3 said.. 2k goes quick! Lol

Reactions: Jshell3
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks

Congratulations Stoneman!
My dealer did 15% off day of purchase on any accessories, 10% after that.
Also check out Honda Parts King if you're adamant about genuine Honda add ons.

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
Moose roofs are downright cheap, and if you catch the SSS skid plates on sale you will have it covered. Windshields and baskets may not be needed, your mileage may vary.

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Be prepared . You will spend the 2k and after a while you will be searching for something you might have missed .

H

HondaTech

Needs clutch adjusted, Honda has a general adjustment procedure, but each machine needs to adjusted to help the shifting out. The P500 is the first ES model to have the ability to shift without lifting off the gas. It makes for some clunking shifting if the clutch is not adjusted properly.

S

Stoneman

Sep 30, 2016
Maggie Valley
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Congratulations Stoneman!
My dealer did 15% off day of purchase on any accessories, 10% after that.
Also check out Honda Parts King if you're adamant about genuine Honda add ons.

Thank you so much for the parts King tip. Much better pricing than dealer!!!

Reactions: trigger
Arizona

Arizona

Sep 1, 2016
Casa Grande & Show Low Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
I found a way to smooth shift every time. Push gas peddle mid way or a lot, pull and HOLD the paddle shifter all the way back to the stop until after it shifts, then let go, works every time. The only clunk I ever get if I don't push the gas peddle enough first, it needs maybe at least 30 % or 40% throttle to work perfectly, 100% works too. No gas on, or too light in the gas will make it clunk. Also, flipping the paddle shifters like a playing card is bad for the trans. They put in a throttle retard on the paddle shifter, but you have to pull back all the way and hold until shift completed for it too work well, and with some decent gas on...

Reactions: Montecresto
advertisement