Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Did you end up horizontal or vertical? I had an idea and Walter hit it outta the park, good guy, he's my brother, ya know, his Dad adopted me on a ride we were on, HA!
New / Old graphics from Walter, @Creativeutvgraphics.com.
IMG 4218 2

Reactions: jrplaza2008
M

Mastertinner

Jul 22, 2020
wisconsin
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
First ride today with WE all around. Absolutely great! I can go full speed or slow & the comfort level is fantastic! I am super pleased!
How are you liking the shocks now that you had them installed for a couple months? Still worth the purchase? I'm going to run my stockers through winter but I'm thinking about upgrading to these or elka's next spring.

T

timhas2

Aug 13, 2020
Chico, CA
Ownership

1. 500
Hi hondabob64- Did you have to lengthen the a arms to get those Walker Evans to fit?

T

timhas2

Aug 13, 2020
Chico, CA
Ownership

1. 500
Can someone tell me if the front and back shocks are the same size on a 2018 Pioneer 500?

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Can someone tell me if the front and back shocks are the same size on a 2018 Pioneer 500?
The have the same 5.9" of travel. Fronts have adjustable preload and rears do not. So they are not the same shock for sure. Eye to eye on the shocks though I can't tell you if they are the same length front to back.

T

timhas2

Aug 13, 2020
Chico, CA
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks hondabob64- Have another question for you or anybody else. Could I raise the rear shock mounting bracket and get more travel for the rear shocks?

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks hondabob64- Have another question for you or anybody else. Could I raise the rear shock mounting bracket and get more travel for the rear shocks?
Changing the mounting point doesn't lengthen the shock shaft. You can change your ground clearance by changing the mounting point, but I don't see how you would get more travel using the same shock. There are a lot smarter people out there than I though. Hopefully they chime in with facts and knowledge I don't have.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Changing the mounting point doesn't lengthen the shock shaft. You can change your ground clearance by changing the mounting point, but I don't see how you would get more travel using the same shock. There are a lot smarter people out there than I though. Hopefully they chime in with facts and knowledge I don't have.
On all statements I agree, but one especially! HA!

• Haha
Reactions: NTCPrezJB
T

timhas2

Aug 13, 2020
Chico, CA
Ownership

1. 500
It looks like with the bottom of the rear shock mount raised you would get some more travel as it would not go in as fast and that would give you more travel. I might have to give that a try today with a trial on one side.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It looks like with the bottom of the rear shock mount raised you would get some more travel as it would not go in as fast and that would give you more travel. I might have to give that a try today with a trial on one side.
The speed of the compression/rebound might be slower (aka making the ride stiffer), but that doesn't change the the length of the shock shaft.

It is possible if you are changing the overall geometry of the shock that the wheel could swing in a wider arc giving more travel, but that is definitely where I'd have to rely on someone that knows more than I do.

S

Splorin

Oct 14, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
To increase travel more often than not you need longer shocks. CV shafts, a-arms, balljoints and tierods all have there limits. Measuring on jackstands is also not real world. Full droop or compression at speed will find a limit not found in the shop. Fun stuff to screw with and lots to learn. Jak put alot of time into his kit. Moved many shock mounts over the years on solid axle rigs which are alot easier. A P5 has 6" of travel so if someone could find even another 1" to 1 1/2" that's 15 to 25%. Elka can build 'em

D

Duckhunt

I moved my rear shock mounts up. I did this with my air suspension setup and with @JWB much appreciated experience and knowledge. JWB is/was running about 10" travel in the rear, with mine, in vertical position it's about 8" travel (very similar to front). Reason for this is now the air pressure in rear runs lower than if in the original position.

You lose travel because you're pushing straight into the shock instead of at an angle. Think of it this way: if you wanted to go to the artic circle the shortest travel is straight north. Going at any angle, will take more travel.

EDIT: I may have misunderstood before my story. Yeah if you raised the lower shock mount you would gain travel, but would need more spring pressure to "break even".

H43

Last edited by a moderator:
hondabob64

hondabob64

Oct 22, 2018
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
Not sure but the shocks are fully adjustable.

T

timhas2

Aug 13, 2020
Chico, CA
Ownership

1. 500
The front and back shocks have that silver circle thin on the bottom of the shocks that you can rotate for more or less compression. What would make the P5 ride better all the way up on the spring or all the way down. I'm not racing this thing just joy riding with a little quick runs at higher speeds. hahaha

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
The front and back shocks have that silver circle thin on the bottom of the shocks that you can rotate for more or less compression. What would make the P5 ride better all the way up on the spring or all the way down. I'm not racing this thing just joy riding with a little quick runs at higher speeds. hahaha

The castle nut? Taking tension off the spring makes for a cushier ride.

Reactions: Backwoods
T

timhas2

Aug 13, 2020
Chico, CA
Ownership

1. 500
The walker evans shocks sound like the way to go but l just don’t have that kind of money. Maybe some day.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!