HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I've heard them Tesla roof tiles are big big $$$. Lotta people say they're not worth the money right now, but when the power goes......... Might be a different story
Coolest thing was they must be way more efficient than the panels you can buy off the shelf. That guy was letting everybody come charge all sorts of s*** and his big battery thing that the panels power stayed at 80-90% through out the whole ordeal. I'm sure if he plugged his cute little Model 3 in it would have depleted instantly. He was the hero of the hood though for the hurricane, lol

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
CID, with all the solar panels mounted on RV roofs and the high-quality RV roof sealant products available now I would not be worried about installing your solar panel or even two of them on the roof of your Class C MH.

Out of sight is out of mind and most would not even notice or think about your panels if mounted on your roof.

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My ride yesterday

IMG 7063
IMG 7065
IMG 7067
IMG 7068D
IMG 7073
IMG 7074
IMG 7079
IMG 7082
IMG 7084
IMG 7085

Prntckt

Prntckt

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2020
Altoona, WI
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Being retired, I get to stay in one deserted campsite after another - it sucks. 😎

But, there's a caveat and that would be the 'house' batteries. Being single, they don't have to run much but ... I'm not an eco freak but solar has come a long way in the last few years and it got my attention. How much would I need? That's a deep effin' rabbit hole and I'm no scholar so I figured WTF, buy from a reputable supplier and give it a try. So I bought a 100 watt panel and MPPT controller from Rich Solar and hooked it up. My logic - if 100 watts isn't enough, I can buy another 100 watt panel, how hard can it be.

Short version - I haven't spent any extended time at one spot this summer, just a few days, so I won't profess to know siht. But so far, I'm happy with my purchase and can buy another 100 watt panel for ~$100, give or take. I bought two extension cords, a 10'er and a 30'er, plus the 10'er that came with the panel. This gives me many options on panel location, heck, I haven't even unwrapped the 30'er once I figured out how to open the screen in the middle of the RV, extending my placement from the front of the RV (as seen below) to the very back end of the trailer (also seen below) to keep it out of harm's way when there are people around. The panel is light enough to carry around and fits 'just right' in the bathroom, under and behind the towel hanging from its rack.

Someday, I might mount it/them on the roof but then I'm drilling into an RV roof and they're known to leak, so ... And then I can't aim them at the sun. 🤔

This is my first 'deployment'. There's a bungy cord at each upper corner holding it against the RV so the wind, usually blowing in Utah, can't blow it over.
View attachment 358142

Life on the trailer, you can see that there's the potential for damage if lying on the ground with so many people around.
View attachment 358143

The big house battery drain in an RV in cooler temps is the furnace motor and fan. Geebus, that thing must have 100 horsepower for all the noise it makes. :oops: And I'm tired of listening to the damn thing. I bought a Mr. Buddy(?) catalytic that runs on 1 lb. propane bottles. I love how quiet it is but I hate having to refill the bottles all the time. This thing is a delight, it super quiet and the noise it makes is like a muted Coleman lantern, and I grew up to love that tune. It's just enough for my small Class C at safe temps for my outside plumbing, about 30*. Below that and I'm not enjoying myself wondering iffn I'm going to freeze (and break) something I don't want to replace (thinking black tank here).

I like it so much, I bought a long propane extension hose to run it off a 20 lb. propane bottle, which I'll keep outside. I'll be testing that out shortly, I'm headed to the desert as soon as my Talon's CV parts show up. :rolleyes:

View attachment 358141
Solar is the ticket for off the grid camping. I have two 100 watt panels and about 50 amp hours of battery storage on my class C motorhome, and they provided all my power for my recent trip to Colorado.We camped off the grid for 12 days. Only used the generator when I ran my microwave and air fryer as my inverter is only 1000 watts.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
All that water would freak me out. :oops: How do you guys know yer not going to hit a bottomless mud hole? :eek:
🤔......we don't know!! 🤷‍♂️ I guess that's what makes it kinda fun sometimes 😂😂 usually if there's other machines around someone's running big 'ol mud tires/portals/lifts etc. and you can guide the depth of some areas by their machines. You can also gauge it by the kinda vegetation in or around it sometimes......If nobody's around then you just creep up to it and ride it out 😂.

If there's a bigger open area then those are the bad ones cause there's a better chance of a mud/hunting buggy to have played there and you never know what deep ruts they left under there. Unless I've been through it already I don't speed through any body of water first shot out.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
A nice group of ORVs o ride with and beautiful colors.

Peak leaf color was last Sunday in southern WV where I live. Colors were beautiful. Long-time residents say it was the most colorful leaves in many years.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!