Multi Shots from the trail.

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
To a point and not very consistent but yes, I write down over 50% of my rides. The track logs are a YUGE part of those memories.

As are the photos -
View attachment 393603

These clouds and the sprinkles they brought, chased me out of the area before I was 'to the end'. But this, when wet, is impassable. I always try to get to the 'end', I may never be back and a track log isn't complete if it doesn't get there.
View attachment 393604

View attachment 393605

The environment is so harsh and the soil is so devoid of organic matter, few weeds grow here -
View attachment 393606

View attachment 393607

View attachment 393608
There are some similar areas in Arizona. The painted desert and some more around Chinle, on the Navajo Reservation.
To a point and not very consistent but yes, I write down over 50% of my rides. The track logs are a YUGE part of those memories.

As are the photos -
View attachment 393603

These clouds and the sprinkles they brought, chased me out of the area before I was 'to the end'. But this, when wet, is impassable. I always try to get to the 'end', I may never be back and a track log isn't complete if it doesn't get there.
View attachment 393604

View attachment 393605

The environment is so harsh and the soil is so devoid of organic matter, few weeds grow here -
View attachment 393606

View attachment 393607

View attachment 393608

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Your excellent photos are strangely and eerily beautiful. In a different context you could have shown me the first three photos and told me it was the moon and I would have believed you. I have not previously seen photos of that terrain.

Some of your photos could be enlarged and printed on high quality paper and sold in desert museums.

I wonder how many people have ever explored that area?
Thanks for the kind words, Harvey.

Many of the trails I've ridden haven't been used for a loooooong time, tire tracks are barely visible on some of them. And it's the desert, tracks last a very long time out there and why it's strictly forbidden to go off road, even a vehicle width unless you meet incoming traffic. So if you guys choose to ride out here, PLEASE make no new tracks, the feds are looking for excuses to permanently close areas, and they do so regularly. Unlike back east where things grow back every season, it takes centuries for recovery out there.

Watch that first step, it's a doozy. :oops:
I Tt42JC4 X2

I rode that road in October - (blue track in the next photo)
I vKmxTzQ X2

The topo showed that there was a road above (orange), I had to get there, it drives my exploration curiosity.
I PjQc3bh X2

I was at the red arrow, looking down at the blue one. The trail is stopped there by a rockslide.
I kKmQ9QB X2

Parked at the blue arrow -
I gRPJzLx X2

Looking up at the red arrow. It's already calling my name. 😍
I qHxSm6P X2

The rockslide at the blue arrow is a big ole NOPE -
I CtsFMKD X2

Looking down to the blue arrow, mission accomplished. :cool:
I JLBN8xs X2

Last edited:
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Looking beyond the thrill of exploring and the beauty of the desert scenery what you are doing is quite dangerous. You're alone in the dessert, miles and miles from civilization, where a mechanical failure of your Honda Talon or a sudden health emergency could be fatal.

Do you have one of those tracking devices that allow emergency response personnel to find you if you became injured or disabled?

My feeble memory suggests I may have asked you about that two years ago?

Last edited:
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Looking beyond the thrill of exploring and the beauty of the desert scenery what you are doing is quite dangerous. You're alone in the dessert, miles and miles from civilization, where a mechanical failure of your Honda Talon or a sudden health emergency could be fatal.

Do you have one of those tracking devices that allow emergency response personnel to find you if you became injured or disabled?

Yes, I do have a SPOT and it has a 911 button. I also have SAR insurance. My Sister knows that if it stops moving, something's wrong. It also has text capabilities so I can communicate with SAR - bring fuel, not a helicopter, for instance. (if I run out of fuel, I deserve to die in the desert)

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Yes, I do have a SPOT and it has a 911 button. I also have SAR insurance. My Sister knows that if it stops moving, something's wrong. It also has text capabilities so I can communicate with SAR - bring fuel, not a helicopter, for instance. (if I run out of fuel, I deserve to die in the desert)

That's smart! Amazing technology and almost essential for what you do.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Gorms

Gorms

Mar 23, 2019
Mass
Ownership

1. 700-4
We've spent the last week in western Maine, plenty of rain the first day out and I was almost regretting the terrabites with all the soup. Still only had to winch out once when I slipped into some ruts made by 30"+ tires.

20230702 130816

My oldest son is 11 and can legally ride with supervision in Maine. He's also over 5' tall and does just fine so he did about 60 miles over the last week, did surprisingly well. Sparked a little more interest as I guess the back seat gets kinda boring.

20230705 201336

Back out tomorrow to get hopefully closer to a full day of riding and some better pictures!

Gorms

Gorms

Mar 23, 2019
Mass
Ownership

1. 700-4
Last day in Maine was a good trip. For anyone familiar with the area we started out in Eustis, head south to Quill Hill then back down to Rangeley for lunch and cold beer. Spotted a nice creek deep enough to swim and cool down on the way south....Quill hill showed clear weather so we kept going. The little 700 is screaming for Elkas! Trails were real good actually but the water bars kill us and bottom out hard if I'm not careful.

Waiting for the check I saw the dark clouds coming in and it was time to go! Made it about 1/2 way of 30 mile trip before the storm caught up to us, some of the worst rain/thunder/lightning I've been through. Saw lightning strike within 100 yards twice, several others were behind us so I couldn't see how close but almost no lag between the flash and the boom. Canvas roof and goggles kept us safe!
Happy trails!

20230707 115744

20230707 122920

20230707 124435

20230707 123530

Screenshot 20230707 171017 Chrome

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
🤔....I call BS, looks like the same lake from different angles........🤨😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂

That's some beautiful country/scenery y'all got up there Sir. If I ever feel like hauling my SXS over 3K miles one way to ride your area will be on my POI list 😬

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
🤔....I call BS, looks like the same lake from different angles........🤨😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂

That's some beautiful country/scenery y'all got up there Sir. If I ever feel like hauling my SXS over 3K miles one way to ride your area will be on my POI list 😬
You're welcome here anytime

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!