CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Looks like the Sleeping Ute mountain to the South East of you, looks like a great place to ride!
That photo was taken from 38* 29' 40.43" N, 111* 6' 2.66" W (gotta love today's technology)

The angle is right but that's 151 miles from Sleeping Ute Mtn. I don't know if that's possible or not.

The road there is so remote and rarely traveled that Google Earth can barely pick it up, check it out. God bless the GAIA GPS topo and iPad. 😍

fwiw: GE's default uses a different GPS datum, to change to degrees, minutes, seconds -
Click Tools -> Options (3D View) -> Degrees, Minutes, Seconds and Huz Yer Daddy 😎

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Looks like the Sleeping Ute mountain to the South East of you, looks like a great place to ride!

That photo was taken from 38* 29' 40.43" N, 111* 6' 2.66" W (gotta love today's technology)

The angle is right but that's 151 miles from Sleeping Ute Mtn. I don't know if that's possible or not.

The road there is so remote and rarely traveled that Google Earth can barely pick it up, check it out. God bless the GAIA GPS topo and iPad. 😍

fwiw: GE's default uses a different GPS datum, to change to degrees, minutes, seconds -
Click Tools -> Options (3D View) -> Degrees, Minutes, Seconds and Huz Yer Daddy 😎
I couldn't get this out of my head, I hope yer happy. :p After much time on Google Earth, arguing with myself "that can't be Factory Butte, can it?" Well, yes, it can (verified online pics). Those are the Abajo Mtns (about 95 miles away), west of Monticello, Utah and they're in direct line with the Sleeping Ute Mtns., blocking them from view. I had ridden completely around the North Caineville Mesa and Factory Butte earlier. I camped somewhere above 'NORTH' on the far side of the mesa. You'll probably have to zoom in to read the text if you're on a mobile device (dang kidz :D).

I didn't think Factory Butte was so 'pointy' because I had seen it from the south (below) but looking at it from the NW, it is pointy.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Looks like a great trip. Maybe I’ll make it out there someday.
There's LOTS to ride, this was 1500 miles, give or take. It's also where many of my recent photos were taken and those to follow soon. That's I-70 running from the lower right (purple) and off the upper left (orange), rotated CW to fit the 4:3 screen better. I love how the GAIA GPS saves my track logs ($29 yearly).

Yep, I fit, barely (shown in my last video (post #1500)).

Last edited:
advertisement
lowranger

lowranger

Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2020
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X
I couldn't get this out of my head, I hope yer happy. :p After much time on Google Earth, arguing with myself "that can't be Factory Butte, can it?" Well, yes, it can (verified online pics). Those are the Abajo Mtns (about 95 miles away), west of Monticello, Utah and they're in direct line with the Sleeping Ute Mtns., blocking them from view. I had ridden completely around the North Caineville Mesa and Factory Butte earlier. I camped somewhere above 'NORTH' on the far side of the mesa. You'll probably have to zoom in to read the text if you're on a mobile device (dang kidz :D).

View attachment 310424

I didn't think Factory Butte was so 'pointy' because I had seen it from the south (below) but looking at it from the NW, it is pointy.
View attachment 310423
Good way to explore with the Talon. We do it the same way.
IMG 20201208 115348911 HDR

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I carry a bit more fuel, :oops: 47 on the trailer and 11.6 in the Talon including the 3 gallon Rotopax. I used every drop for the above track log and still had to run to Green River for a refill, a 110 mile round trip in the RV.
I JkjWL93 XL

Prntckt

Prntckt

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2020
Altoona, WI
Ownership

1. Talon X4
There's LOTS to ride, this was 1500 miles, give or take. It's also where many of my recent photos were taken and those to follow soon. That's I-70 running from the lower right toward the upper left, rotated CW to fit the 4:3 screen better. I love how the GAIA GPS saves my track logs ($29 yearly).
View attachment 310431

Yep, I fit, barely (shown in my last video (post #1500)).
View attachment 310432
Very impressive! How many days for the 1500 miles? Did you do the whole trip by yourself? Any worries about breakdown in areas without cell service, or do you carry a satcom device?

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Very impressive! How many days for the 1500 miles? Did you do the whole trip by yourself? Any worries about breakdown in areas without cell service, or do you carry a satcom device?
Thanks!

I was gone for 5 weeks, I think I was in that area for 20-25 days. Yes, solo, I'm an introvert and don't mind riding alone but looking forward to meeting others, I just missed @Dankathy by a few days in St. George (not where the track log shows). I've ridden much of this area solo on the dirt bike so the Talon is orders of magnitude safer but there's always that 'oh sh!tt' possibility. I carry a SPOT tracker now but didn't have one on the bike. Sometimes I scare myself. :oops: Every report of yet another pissy little mechanical or electronic failure makes those trips a little less carefree, so yes, I think about it once in a while.

I'm an engaged driver, pay close attention, keep my speeds down and rarely make a mistake that wakes me up but when I do - :eek:. I'm there for the scenery and will turn back if something looks too bad but most of the roads are pretty tame compared to what the more easterly guys ride.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thanks!

I was gone for 5 weeks, I think I was in that area for 20-25 days. Yes, solo, I'm an introvert and don't mind riding alone but looking forward to meeting others, I just missed @Dankathy by a few days in St. George (not where the track log shows). I've ridden much of this area solo on the dirt bike so the Talon is orders of magnitude safer but there's always that 'oh sh!tt' possibility. I carry a SPOT tracker now but didn't have one on the bike. Sometimes I scare myself. :oops: Every report of yet another pissy little mechanical or electronic failure makes those trips a little less carefree, so yes, I think about it once in a while.

I'm an engaged driver, pay close attention, keep my speeds down and rarely make a mistake that wakes me up but when I do - :eek:. I'm there for the scenery and will turn back if something looks too bad but most of the roads are pretty tame compared to what the more easterly guys ride.
You can always call Matt if you breakdown...

D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Luv me sum Winder Towing. 👍 When I got home, I Googled his location; I was within a few miles of his place. If I had known, I'd have stopped in to say Hi, p!ssed off that I missed the opportunity. 🙁
If you had got in a real bad situation, i would have hurried home. I've always got a chair and a six pack close to hand :)

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!