locoboilerguy

locoboilerguy

Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2016
Western Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
Gentlemen,

The town of Silverton, Colorado started to allow OHV in certain parts of the city limits in 2014. This is coming up for a vote on April 25th that will once again close the town to access by OHV. The petition that triggered the general vote was the opinion that OHV had ruined the town, caused excessive noise, people going off the designated route, taking up all available parking and in short ruining the town. I realize many of you have never been there but its a important point. Living there part time I must admit that during the summer the constant noise from aftermarket mufflers and some riders in general just wanting everyone to know their machine is bad ass can be daunting. At times it hard to carry on a conversation just standing on main street.

The people behind this are not the business owners but individuals who live in the town and generally derive no living from the local economy. I suggest anyone interested email the local chamber of commerce, write a editorial letter to the Silverton Standard and the Miner (their newspaper) or just generally alert people in the OHV community because of some bad apples and irresponsible people have quite possibly closed one of the nicest towns in a area of massive OHV exposure during the summer months.

I live north of town up CR 2 and am about 100 feet east off that road. My building is 2 foot thick red brick and I can hear the constant din of OHV everyday all summer on the road. Most are very quiet and respectful but a number of them honestly just want to be noticed. Full throttle around occupied buildings and residences is generally not appreciated.

They don't have the budget or the manpower to police all the noise, off route violations and parking problems during the summer. When they do the individual who got the citation writes the local paper complaining about how rude and hateful the local people are. One must ask themselves as owners of OHV would we want a constant stream of them by our homes with the operators running at full power and making as much noise and dust as possible as well as taking up every parking space in sight.

So I see both sides to this and its why I don't live in town. I lived in Silverton years ago when mining was its main source of revenue and am moving back for my retirement. For the towns folk people who have acted disrespectful with their OHV are at the root of their whole desire to change the ordinance to keep them out of the city limits. Its a major inconvenience for those coming from other areas as they cannot even venture into town to get lunch if this passes.

Thanks for your time.
Locoboilerguy (aka John)

Koda

Koda

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Canton Ga
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well said. A lot of times we are our own worst enemy. It would be a black eye on the off road community if they voted us out. I have been there before and rode the alpine loop. Some of the most beautiful scenery in the country

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We were discussing that this weekend at Royal Blue people don't pick up their trash leave cans everywhere. Then if they do go into town, track 50lbs of mud to the table thy eat at.

I got nasty looks and my boots and clothes were clean.

A lot of "unofficial" private land we used to ride has been closed and the roads watched like a hawk by law enforcement because of this. Used to it seemed like riders left only tracks and took only pictures but not anymore....

73bcfe950d229fda390f91fbe7981698

Reactions: JTW
B

boatman22

Lifetime Member
Dec 17, 2016
Woodlands TX
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

3. Other Brand
I see it all the time where I ride. As a noobe to SxS in just the little time I have been riding "3 mos" I can't believe the trash people leave on the trails. Cans ond food wrappers are the worst. The group I ride with we pickup trash when we stop.

J

JTW

Gentlemen,

The town of Silverton, Colorado started to allow OHV in certain parts of the city limits in 2014. This is coming up for a vote on April 25th that will once again close the town to access by OHV. The petition that triggered the general vote was the opinion that OHV had ruined the town, caused excessive noise, people going off the designated route, taking up all available parking and in short ruining the town. I realize many of you have never been there but its a important point. Living there part time I must admit that during the summer the constant noise from aftermarket mufflers and some riders in general just wanting everyone to know their machine is bad ass can be daunting. At times it hard to carry on a conversation just standing on main street.

The people behind this are not the business owners but individuals who live in the town and generally derive no living from the local economy. I suggest anyone interested email the local chamber of commerce, write a editorial letter to the Silverton Standard and the Miner (their newspaper) or just generally alert people in the OHV community because of some bad apples and irresponsible people have quite possibly closed one of the nicest towns in a area of massive OHV exposure during the summer months.

I live north of town up CR 2 and am about 100 feet east off that road. My building is 2 foot thick red brick and I can hear the constant din of OHV everyday all summer on the road. Most are very quiet and respectful but a number of them honestly just want to be noticed. Full throttle around occupied buildings and residences is generally not appreciated.

They don't have the budget or the manpower to police all the noise, off route violations and parking problems during the summer. When they do the individual who got the citation writes the local paper complaining about how rude and hateful the local people are. One must ask themselves as owners of OHV would we want a constant stream of them by our homes with the operators running at full power and making as much noise and dust as possible as well as taking up every parking space in sight.

So I see both sides to this and its why I don't live in town. I lived in Silverton years ago when mining was its main source of revenue and am moving back for my retirement. For the towns folk people who have acted disrespectful with their OHV are at the root of their whole desire to change the ordinance to keep them out of the city limits. Its a major inconvenience for those coming from other areas as they cannot even venture into town to get lunch if this passes.

Thanks for your time.
Locoboilerguy (aka John)
Well said and all good points! Hope you're doing well!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!