Multi Single best ride you've ever done?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
What's the single best ride I've ever been on?

I think for me this would have come in the early 2000s. This time frame represents the last days of the private lands my neighborhood friends and I grew up riding. It was shrinking, and the future was going to be elsewhere. This was in the northwest corner of NC, near the TN and VA borders.

Through a cousins' inlaws, we ended up riding with some groups even further up in that corner of NC, staging in an area known as Horse Creek. The area we typically rode was known as Pond Mountain to the locals. Those of you like @Hondasxs that were somewhat familiar with the short-lived riding area known as Callalantee were essentially riding the TN backside of this area.
Pond mtn...like every thing else, was slowly being sold off, but at that time, it was the go-to riding area for locals. Much like I would imagine the outlaw trails are in WV are now, it was kind of a free for all, and nobody much cared as long as you didn't trash the place.
I don't remember the exact dates, but I did have my new Rubicon that had just come out, and it was deer season. For that reason, we were doing a night ride, so we met at the staging house, and took off into the night.

There was some gravel road riding to get up into Pond, and then the leader proceeded to lead us through all kinds of cool trails, some of which were high pasture lands where you could see the distant lights of small towns. We rode for what seemed like forever, and when we stopped, we usually ran into another group. I specifically recall that one group had come in from the TN side, and yet another we ran into had done the same from VA.
We rode past rock fences, and stopped at an old cemetery said to contain civil war graves.
We were all drinking, for the most part, but not drunk, and everyone was feeling good and having a good time. At some point someone whipped out deer biscuits, and they were just the best tasting thing I could have had at that moment. A festive, party atmosphere on quads, on a fall night, in a beautiful area.

We rolled back in the staging driveway about 1-2 am, having racked up somewhere around 100 miles...a staggering amount for that area at the time. My low fuel light was on...and I'd never seen it before!

I guess I'm an odd bird. I ride alone a lot. I guess i have a somewhat difficult time warming up to strangers, so it can be tough to get me to do group rides. Yet, when someone dragged me kicking and screaming on one, I almost always have a blast. So you'd think I'd do it more?

Truth be told, I went on several rides with this group, and all of them could have qualified as one of the best rides ever. But time and people move on, so pretty soon the rides stopped. But that first ride with them always sticks in my mind, and is probably the best single ride I've ever been on.

Last edited:
J

JTW

BB83E7B3 027B 4B9C 99EF 9E17FC6FD50B

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Tough one to figure on the single best ride. Seems like most rides have something that’s better then any. I love our riding area the best and it’s usually with friends and family so that’s tough but I’d probably have to say the Pioneer Takeover in ‘17.
Spent months preparing and working on our second rig after some failures. Put everything into that machine and it was finally exactly how we wanted it for the upcoming year. It was time to leave for a 2000 mile trek, we’d never really been over 200 riding. 40hours straight and picking up our friend @Eltobgi who I’d never met to share the ride with.
Before the Takeover we went to Coalmont Tn and without any real sleep we got there around 7am with @Delton as our tour guide. Was incredible. We rode till the next morning with only a quick nap. Running strictly on adrenaline caffeine and beer with an occasional meal. Left there to ride @drfubar s place, stayed the night and off to RRB where we met up with the group and continued to ride the same way for another 5 days. We laid down 1000 miles of absolute chaos to the machines and our bodies. Got to ride and meet so many new friends and family it’s unreal.
Only two regrets really. Would’ve like to been around camp more to spend time with a few others (but I get nervous in group public settings) and the straight drive home was the awfullest thing I’ve ever encountered, wish would’ve added a day there.
All in all it was one hell of an experience and not one I take lightly that we had the opportunity. Wife and I will do it again someday, I miss my people.It was an awesome experience
F471A186 CE98 481F A709 03B093093B20

Last edited:
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Tough one to figure on the single best ride. Seems like most rides have something that’s better then any. I love our riding area the best and it’s usually with friends and family so that’s tough but I’d probably have to say the Pioneer Takeover in ‘17.
Spent months preparing and working on our second rig after some failures. Put everything into that machine and it was finally exactly how we wanted it for the upcoming year. It was time to leave for a 2000 mile trek, we’d never really been over 200 riding. 40hours straight and picking up our friend @Eltobgi who I’d never met to share the ride with.
Before the Takeover we went to Coalmont Tn and without any real sleep we got there around 7am with @Delton as our tour guide. Was incredible. We rode till the next morning with only a quick nap. Running strictly on adrenaline caffeine and beer with an occasional meal. Left there to ride @drfubar s place, stayed the night and off to RRB where we met up with the group and continued to ride the same way for another 5 days. We laid down 1000 miles of absolute chaos to the machines and our bodies. Got to ride and meet so many new friends and family it’s unreal.
Only two regrets really. Would’ve like to been around camp more to spend time with a few others (but I get nervous in group public settings) and the straight drive home was the awfullest thing I’ve ever encountered, wish would’ve added a day there.
All in all it was one hell of an experience and not one I take lightly that we had the opportunity. We’ll do it again someday, I miss my people.
View attachment 170964
I had a feeling you or someone was going to say the takeover.
Like you said...many to choose from...

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok, gotta be the 2nd overland adventure. It was a blast, usually the last day is the most memorable, and running through the water/mud trail on the way back drinking beer blasting mud getting stuck music cranked on a beautiful Sunday with some of the best guys ever was surreal.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I'll have to think about this while working today and get back to this thread.
Ok, gotta be the 2nd overland adventure. It was a blast, usually the last day is the most memorable, and running through the water/mud trail on the way back drinking beer blasting mud getting stuck music cranked on a beautiful Sunday with some of the best guys ever was surreal.
Wow...your workday was 6 minutes! Ever think of entering politics?;)

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@joeymt33 do you have any videos of the last day of overland in 18' ?

R

rickoshea

probably my most memorable ones were doing the ripsaw trail alone,one of the top 10 offroad trails in north america,and the duffy lake trail before they ruined it with roads.that was back in my dirtbike,dunebuggy days.did ripsaw in a 74 jimmy and the duffy in a landcruiser.i've been exploring/camping/fishing the bc backcountry for almost 40 years now.

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
All in all it was one hell of an experience and not one I take lightly that we had the opportunity. Wife and I will do it again someday, I miss my people.It was an awesome experience
View attachment 170964
Absolutely in agreement! Three destinations, thousands of miles, good food, and great people! ;) Oh...and a little CHAOS:cool:

Mopower58

Mopower58

No reservations about no reservations
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Anytime we rode the Homochitto river and camped at Bude,Ms. From 82-88 we spent most weekends there. They had dredged the river for gravel to redo the highway and left a huge pile of sand you could ride on as well as creek/sand riding for 15 miles in 4 different directions. My dad and two of his friends had a total of 3 campers they left there year round and were in a u shape forming a cool little compound. Between the 3 households there were about 15 three wheelers. From a 185s,200s,BigRed,250sx,200x,250r,350x and some modified ones. Bunch of paddle tires,headers,carburetors,expansion chambers and even a couple of big bore( for the times)machines. CR 500 three wheeler,KZ 1000 three wheeler,RD 350 on a Honda 110 frame. Sand drags on Saturday.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!