P1000m5 Skid Plates on the 1000-5 LE

UKNB

UKNB

Apr 18, 2017
Fredericton NB Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Still waiting for delivery of my LE. So I'm reading up on all the forums here and I got to looking at the skid plate and noticed that it doesn't seem to cover the full width of the undercarriage. I also saw some pretty incredible gill pokes where the floor has been shattered by a penetrating log or stick hidden in tall grass.

Honda doesn't seem to offer full skidplate coverage.... are there after market add-ons to fill the voids or am I looking as a complete new system to get full coverage underneath?

Again... thanks in advance to all who take time to read these and provide their honest feedback!

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Still waiting for delivery of my LE. So I'm reading up on all the forums here and I got to looking at the skid plate and noticed that it doesn't seem to cover the full width of the undercarriage. I also saw some pretty incredible gill pokes where the floor has been shattered by a penetrating log or stick hidden in tall grass.

Honda doesn't seem to offer full skidplate coverage.... are there after market add-ons to fill the voids or am I looking as a complete new system to get full coverage underneath?

Again... thanks in advance to all who take time to read these and provide their honest feedback!
You would have to make it for the sides. Or buy a full coverage.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

Your best and safest route is to get full coverage UHMW skidplates. The Aluminum on the LE as you pointed out leaves passengers floor exposed to hazards, and starts too far back. Trail armor makes an excellent set as does a handful of other vendors. See below.

P1000 - Jackal's P1000-5

Finished install
P1000 - Jackal's P1000-5

Reactions: Smitty335
Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
Take a look at SSS off road, they are expensive but will last forever. I have hit rocks with my little P5 on the skids that have stung my feet but have not left a scratch on the skid.

Reactions: Smitty335
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Take a look at SSS off road, they are expensive but will last forever. I have hit rocks with my little P5 on the skids that have stung my feet but have not left a scratch on the skid.
Your best and safest route is to get full coverage UHMW skidplates. The Aluminum on the LE as you pointed out leaves passengers floor exposed to hazards, and starts too far back. Trail armor makes an excellent set as does a handful of other vendors. See below.

P1000 - Jackal's P1000-5

Finished install
P1000 - Jackal's P1000-5
Running the Trail Armor my self, slides great over rocks and logs

J

JTW

This is what you're looking for.. cheaper than buying full skids!
2016 Honda Pioneer 1000
IMG 3755

H

hibbert

Nov 9, 2020
CR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If I have the OEM skid plates as preinstalled on the LE, is there additional plates i can buy that cover the areas the OEM dont?

Is it just the 2 piece that JTW linked?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
If I have the OEM skid plates as preinstalled on the LE, is there additional plates i can buy that cover the areas the OEM dont?

Is it just the 2 piece that JTW linked?
Those that JTW linked are supplemental to the OEM Aluminum on the LE models. They will definitely be the lowest cost option to provide protection to the floor board areas.

That said, I ride in very rocky terrain and after 2800 miles the Aluminum skids were severely deformed and 5 of the bolts in the main section were sheared off as was 3 more across the 4 A arm pieces. See photos below.

If you ride in very rocky terrain your best route from a durability and protection standpoint would be the 1/2" FUTV Ultimate UHMW skid plate set. They are not cheap but great quality rarely is.

20190813 110233
20190813 110218
20190813 110207
20190813 110203
20190813 110159
20190813 110152
20190813 110148
20190813 110141

FUTV UHMW skiplates replacement for aluminum....
20190702 193232
20190702 193013

J

JTW

Those that JTW linked are supplemental to the OEM Aluminum on the LE models. They will definitely be the lowest cost option to provide protection to the floor board areas.

That said, I ride in very rocky terrain and after 2800 miles the Aluminum skids were severely deformed and 5 of the bolts in the main section were sheared off as was 3 more across the 4 A arm pieces. See photos below.

If you ride in very rocky terrain your best route from a durability and protection standpoint would be the 1/2" FUTV Ultimate UHMW skid plate set. They are not cheap but great quality rarely is.

View attachment 237792

View attachment 237791
This is good advice... go with a good 1/2” uhmw plate and be done with it!

H

hibbert

Nov 9, 2020
CR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thank you for your detail advice. After reading the forum and sliding under the pioneer, I fully appreciate that I should do a full skid replacement.

I am considering one of two options-

Option 1 - $1369
9-Piece Complete Skid Plate Set in Aluminum or with 1/4" UHMW Layer, Honda Pioneer 1000 with 3/16" Aluminum layered with 1/4" UHMW

Option 2 - $934

In combination with 4-Piece A-Arm & CV Boot Guards, Honda Pioneer 1000 because I like the added boot guard protection.

I will also be shipping these out to Costa Rica so total weight is going to be a huge factor. I believe that plays into option 2 with UHMW being lighter and I'm assuming option 2 is also better from a price and function standpoint.

My main concern is installation - I am a proper divvy, have no access to a lift or jack and really don't want to be drilling holes.

Reactions: Mudwing
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Thank you for your detail advice. After reading the forum and sliding under the pioneer, I fully appreciate that I should do a full skid replacement.

Option 1 - $1369
9-Piece Complete Skid Plate Set in Aluminum or with 1/4" UHMW Layer, Honda Pioneer 1000 with 3/16" Aluminum layered with 1/4" UHMW

Option 2 - $934

In combination with 4-Piece A-Arm & CV Boot Guards, Honda Pioneer 1000 because I like the added boot guard protection.

I will also be shipping these out to Costa Rica so total weight is going to be a huge factor. I believe that plays into option 2 with UHMW being lighter and I'm assuming option 2 is also better from a price and function standpoint.

My main concern is installation - I am a proper divvy, have no access to a lift or jack and really don't want to be drilling holes.

Option 2 is the best route, every aftermarket skid will require some drilling and self tapping screws are provided. If you have a winch, fastest way is to run line up a tree at least 12 ft off the ground and winch the machine vertical for installation, it will balance on rear roll cage to stand up.

Optionally you can affix 2 tie down to top of roll cage at front and rear and tip unit over about 40 degrees and install that way, but I don't recommend it.

Reactions: Mudwing
H

hibbert

Nov 9, 2020
CR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Option 2 is the best route, every aftermarket skid will require some drilling and self tapping screws are provided. If you have a winch, fastest way is to run line up a tree at least 12 ft off the ground and winch the machine vertical for installation, it will balance on rear roll cage to stand up.

Optionally you can affix 2 tie down to top of roll cage at front and rear and tip unit over about 40 degrees and install that way, but I don't recommend it.

No winch unfortunately :(

H

hibbert

Nov 9, 2020
CR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
All P1Ks have those, they most likely just removed them for the picture.

If they fit a standard 1000 they'll fit an LE.

As noted above, I'm a proper divvy.

Thanks for your help!

Looks like the ricochet arm and cv boots protectors with the factory utv 1/2 inch is the best way to idiot proof things.

Last edited:
Reactions: TripleB
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I have 2200 miles on my LE-5
I just installed the Trail Armor 1/2" full skids. The factory was showing some wear, The center crossmember was tweeked . I just spent 3 days at RRB and felt a LOT more comfortable on the rocks.
I think the aluminum is adaquite for normal riding, But not for serious rocks.
I always say better sliding on the belly then on the roof!!!

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
As noted above, I'm a proper divvy.

Thanks for your help!

Looks like the ricochet arm and cv boots guides with the factory utv 1/2 inch is the best way to idiot proof things.
You don't need richochet anything with the FUTV ULTIMATE kit is comes with everything. Running it on my LE over 4000 miles, fits perfectly

Reactions: TripleB
thashane

thashane

Lifetime Member
Oct 19, 2020
norCa
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

Option 1 - $1369

Option 2 - $934

I have 3/8" factory utv, no regrets. Installed w.o a lift. I did use jack stands to hold up one end of the skid, while I bolted the other. I prefer the one piece wide mid section of the FUTV skid. But does come in a large box, so the others may be cheaper to ship.
I'm not a fan of drilling a new machine, but I feel alot better now than I did before.

J

JTW

This is my suggestion... should be a little cheaper shipping as they’re smaller pieces. And their warranty if phenomenal!

Use coupon code Thank You for 10% off

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!