slow start when cold

S

sksshooter

Oct 24, 2013
hi all, new to the forum so far I am loving my new pioneer 4. I do have one issue though that I may take it back to the dealer for. when the bike is cold as in sitting over night the first time I start it, it is hard starting. this is my first FI bike so not real experienced with it but I know others that have them and they start as soon as the starter is hit. mine acts like it has a carb. it turns over for probably 30 seconds or so before starting. it is in neutral with e-brake on. the only thing I haven't tried is applying the foot brake but can't see where that should matter. how is everyone elses?

also I have noticed a bit of popping on deceleration a couple of times that also does not seem right. anyone else?

bigc

bigc

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2013
sounds like you might have a fuel issue maybe a fuel pump or pressure problem mine starts easy and doesnt pop on deceleration havent heard of any others with that problem like you said i think you should have the dealer check it over how many hours do you have on it so far ? it could be the valves out of adjustment also you could look at the spark plug to see if its lean or rich that would be a starting point i think

S

sksshooter

Oct 24, 2013
its strange, I know on motorcycles especially a Harley if you turn the key hit start it chokes some but if you turn the key and allow the fuel pump to pump up it fires right off. i figured this should be the same. but even allow the fuel pump to pump up hasn't made a difference.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine does turn over a few times before it starts when cold and occasionally when hot. I've wondered about this, but it cranks so it hasn't concerned me, doesn't make a diff with me if it's had a chance to pump. Really haven't taken it apart to see how it ticks yet. Really don't want to haul it back to dealer for that either, I'll take a look at the plug this weekend. Might cause starter/battery troubles down the line though now that I think about it.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Yep...Time for a trip to the dealer. Let us know what is found.

S

sksshooter

Oct 24, 2013
ohana that's my concern, its new it should fire right up. i expect a slower start on my atv that is 8 years old carbureted and has been worked. i don't want to be 2-3 years down the road with a bike that needs a new starter because its hard cranking when cold. im getting low on my first tank of fuel so i plan to run another tank and make sure its fresh before i take it back but hunting season is getting very close and i would prefer it not be in the shop.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
sksshooter said:
ohana that's my concern, its new it should fire right up. i expect a slower start on my atv that is 8 years old carbureted and has been worked. i don't want to be 2-3 years down the road with a bike that needs a new starter because its hard cranking when cold. im getting low on my first tank of fuel so i plan to run another tank and make sure its fresh before i take it back but hunting season is getting very close and i would prefer it not be in the shop.

Are you using stabil or any additives?
I use it in my 2001 Valkyrie and Pioneer, the Valk fires right up(6 carbs, manual choke, PAIN to balance those!!!!)

I'm also using premium, as gas loses octane as it sits.

Strange thing is it doesn't do it every time. Maybe the elec choke method isn't engaging immediately??? I know if I don't choke the Valk it WON'T start if cold, once it's barely warm it starts almost as soon as I touch the starter button.

S

sksshooter

Oct 24, 2013
no additives as i assumed the gas from the dealer was fresh... that may have been a bad assumption. i think ill fill it back up and drop some seafoam in it also and see if it improves. once warm it start right up its just the first time i start it for the day. old gas could cause popping to. remembering back to when i bought my nomad it had sat up several weeks before i purchased it and it popped until i burned that gas out. was also a bit slow starting. can't believe i never considered bad gas before now. i sure hope that's my issue.

bigc

bigc

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2013
how cold does it get down there in mardi gras country

S

sksshooter

Oct 24, 2013
its been in the 50's this week. not that its cold out but just that the motor is cold as in hasn't ran recently. this evening when i cranked it up it was around 80 iirc.

advertisement
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
hum... Going to be around 35 Sat morning on the Hatfield trails... I'll be out of touch but will report back Monday.

C

chesterl35

Aug 7, 2013
There is no electric choke or any choke as one would think on the pioneer. Its EFI so the computer leans amd richens the fuel trims as needed with input from coolant temp sensors and air intake sensors. You can only choke a carb. You don't 'choke' a throttle body

S

sksshooter

Oct 24, 2013
I put 5 gallons of fresh gas and about 3/4 bottle of seafoam in the tank today and rode it around a bit to mix it all up. gonna see how it cranks tom. I counted today and it turned over 12 times before firing off.

bigc

bigc

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2013
please let us know how that goes

S

sksshooter

Oct 24, 2013
it did improve yesterday, the first time a cranked it it only turned over 6 times before it fired up. I rode it a decent amount yesterday so it should have burned some seafoam through it to clean it up any. going to see how it starts today.

I

idahohntr

Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2013
Last week was up in the mountains in Idaho. Low was 22 degrees, my 2 turned over probably 3 times (guessing about 6 seconds) then fired right up. Elevation was 3600 feet, I did not pump the pedal simply let the EFI perform. Let me know what you find! Still having some issues engaging into gear, maybe with time that will work itself out, but not worried about it!

S

sksshooter

Oct 24, 2013
After some additional ride time with the sea foam and fresh gas it is now starting quicker. It has been turning over~3 times before starting for the first time each day. I'm going to continue to monitor it but it seems to have improved.

fishin2Dmax

fishin2Dmax

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2013
Utah
It does sound like a fuel system related problem. What is the local ethanol content in the unleaded fuel in your area? Anything over 10% is bad news for many engines and fuel systems. Either you got some bad fuel or your unit has an issue. My P4 started the other morning in 24 degree temp within two seconds. What you're describing is not normal. When you do take it back to the dealer, please let us know what the issue was.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!