highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I agree about the retard with the titanium lug nuts and the $5 trophy.
Me too! :p
I read an article one time in Popular Mechanics camparing Jeremy McGrath's factory YFZ450F race bike and a typical showroom bike. They went to the same extremes changing all the bolts out to titanium to save grams per bolt and removing unused 4th and 5th gear. Now those are less than 300# dirt bikes, not 1600# cars!!

K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
Dropping weight is always good, and it all adds up, but like you say, your chasing a $5 trophy. Just go out and have fun! After all of my years racing and trophies accumulated, I wish I could get $5 a piece for them. I’ve always donated them to local ATV events to get rid of them. I did keep a few high point trophies for a while.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Dropping weight is always good, and it all adds up, but like you say, your chasing a $5 trophy. Just go out and have fun! After all of my years racing and trophies accumulated, I wish I could get $5 a piece for them. I’ve always donated them to local ATV events to get rid of them. I did keep a few high point trophies for a while.

If your not there to win, why race??? If I wanted to go out and have fun I would go on a trail ride with my buddies. I have no desire to just be out there on the track. $5 trophies not, I want to win. At this point in the season I'm looking to win the Vet N/A class championship. I'm also getting my car ready to race the Pro N/A class next year. Bigger trophies and bigger checks in that class mean stiffer competition. I'm just using this year to get used to racing UTV's and to get the car dialed in. I just happen to be in a position to win the class championship. May as well roll with it..... 😎

If I wasn't spending money on this I'd be building something else. I'm a can't sit still kind of person....

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
There’s therapy for that......😂😂
Yep there is therapy for that....and it's light parts and racing on the edge!! I am the same type of person as @SLOWPOKE693 and I would be on a track if my kids at there ages were not taking that time up!! Keep bringing on the W's. I am jealous and hope to be lining up next to you someday!!🤩🤓

Last edited:
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Picked up 4 new Hoosiers yesterday after work and mounted them on the 4 stock rear wheels so I can get them grooved up before the new bling wheels get here.

I'm trying something different this time and going with the P1000 version instead of the Turbo version I currently run. Both are labeled the same size but the P1000's section width is .9" narrower. It's basically one tread block difference. Both are M500 compound so no difference there. My reasoning for going with the narrow tire is twofold. First is the obvious weight difference. Smaller is lighter, right? Second is ground pressure. A slightly smaller contact patch puts more PSI to the ground and in theory should give me better traction, right? Guess I'll find out in a few weeks! 😮

New vs old...
20210528 183052

Start of the grooving I'm going to run on the rear tires...
20210528 194439

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Picked up 4 new Hoosiers yesterday after work and mounted them on the 4 stock rear wheels so I can get them grooved up before the new bling wheels get here.

I'm trying something different this time and going with the P1000 version instead of the Turbo version I currently run. Both are labeled the same size but the P1000's section width is .9" narrower. It's basically one tread block difference. Both are M500 compound so no difference there. My reasoning for going with the narrow tire is twofold. First is the obvious weight difference. Smaller is lighter, right? Second is ground pressure. A slightly smaller contact patch puts more PSI to the ground and in theory should give me better traction, right? Guess I'll find out in a few weeks! 😮

New vs old...
View attachment 274798

Start of the grooving I'm going to run on the rear tires...
View attachment 274799
Keep us posted.

K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
That 1 small groove on every other tread block won’t do enough to help. You could drop 1/4 pound of air pressure and gain more than that.

Reactions: Biteme
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
That 1 small groove on every other tread block won’t do enough to help. You could drop 1/4 pound of air pressure and gain more than that.

No, no it won't. What happens to the tread of a tire that is run to low on air pressure? Does it not wear out the outside edges and leave the middle practically untouched because of the tire cupping up in the middle? Cutting the radial grooves in the edges helps the tire flex in that area so it maintains a flat even contact patch all the way across the tire at lower air pressure. Dropping it a 1/4 pound does not have the same effect and would actually hurt performance. But you do you....

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Came back from my work trip last night and found my new titanium lug nuts waiting for me. Grabbed my wifes food scale and headed out to the trailer to see how much weight I saved.....

20210604 211503

-16 stock lug nuts weigh 1.102 lbs
-16 titanium lug nuts weigh .609 lbs

Very close to half a pound of rotating and unsprung weight savings. 😎

No wheels yet but I expect them to be finished and shipped out next week. Hopefully.....

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!