Snorkel & Supercharger

SuperYeti

SuperYeti

May 11, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Ownership

1. 700-4
When your did it you can just mount it in a pipe. cap on the other end see if it makes any pressure. As far as a fuel controller goes the dobeck is an Autotune. dobeck will adjust for no pressure to 20 pounds of pressure automatically. I think you'll find the power command has to be tuned and if the pressure is not the same every time. your tuning won't be right.
The dobeck is auto tune just set the fuel ratio you want to run and it will stay there no matter what.
Power Commander can be Auto Tune it's $600 for that 1. + you still going to have to spend another hundred fifty for an afr gauge. You can't tune without.

The did this on my phone I don't know how it's going to read
That was the plan, mount a MAP into the pipe, just use a manual controller for the ESC, and verify if I can even make boost, then if I can, I'll proceed with making the boost controller, if it doesn't work I'll just go with the 3" snorkel for now, with the PCV and HMF swamp series. As for the auto tune, my plan is to get the Power Commander with Auto Tune, it comes with the bung and the AFR, I'll have to get a MAP sensor as well to tie into the PCV, then I can map timing based on boost pressure from my research so far. This will allow me to accommodate any changes I want to make in the future. If I can't get a super charger solution working, I'll probably end up going with a turbo, but going to beat this idea to death first lol.

SuperYeti

SuperYeti

May 11, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Ownership

1. 700-4
I'm following this with great interest, and can see and agree with your points, but what I found using a home made manometer is that even a 300cfm ventilation fan will produce some pressure. How much exactly I'm not sure, but enough to to lower my acceleration times on a set distances. I think spifyd is right that a turbo (fan) is designed for compressing air but you still need volume also. So I really like the looks (or design) of the fans that superyeti is showing us because they look like a turbo type design, and I think we can agree that it doesn't make any difference weather it's power by exhaust or by a electric motor if the fan is designed to produce volume and pressure.
Now I would like someone to define and explain the terms used here and on other posts so everybody can be on the same page as to the function of each component.
Mapping
map sensor
controller
fuel controller
ignition timing map
PCV
ESC, etc and any more you can think of. I think this would be helpful to all in the HondaSxS community. I don't feel qualified to give good definitions, but I know we have smart people on here who can do it. So someone take on the challenge.
I've created a post where we can hash over terms, and get good definitions together here: http://hondasxs.com/threads/common-engine-tuning-terms.3071/

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
I think your trying to over complicate this. I have 4 psi right off of idle. the throttle body controls how much of that gets to the motor buy how much I push the gas. the fuel dobeck controller keeps the fuel ratio where I set it.
your not going to over boost that wont be a problem. so just turn the fan on when the gas peddle is moved. the fuel controller will keep the fuel on track with the stock injector until you get to about 4 or psi. if you can go over that you will need a larger injector. Yamaha raptor over sized 550 cc injector will work up to 65 hp.
lets say you did have to much boost you could use a blow off valve and re spring it so it dumps the excess boost right back to the inlet of the fan.
that would save having to control the fan and give you instant boost.

p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
I did 2" pipe... Not sure about 3" unless you have A LOT more bends in the pipe. As far as the power commander check with Dobeck before you buy... Dobeck has a load based tune versers the power commander. Go to their web site and look at the info tabs and you'll be surprised at the info they give on their product verses the power commander. I don't know how it differs for your set up but well worth the look. Also I didn't run a screen on the air inlet for big debris... I feel that it blocks air flow... Frankly there is no need with a good air filter such as a K &N with a pre filter to do that... Most big stuff ends up in the bottom of the air housing and with the snorkel up high dust is cut way down!.... Just my experience. Good luck on the build!
I was wondering if running a snorkel would help with keeping the filter clean. I have a full cab enclosure on my P500, and the filter has to be cleaned every 200 miles. Thank goodness it started raining up here, we won't have to deal with dust until spring. I didn't see a need for a snorkel, as I don't plan to do any deep water crossings, but if it would help with filter maintenance, I'm interested. Would a supercharger be of much benefit to the 475cc motor? If I'm in for a penny, might as well be in for a pound.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Interested in seeing how this pans out!

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
answer to the snorkel.
if you can get it to a place that doesn't attract dust or out of the dust stream. you could also run a filter sock at the end of the snorkel this would ketch some of the dust going to the filter. when you stop some were just knock the dust off the sock.
after seeing a motor destroyed in my sun in laws bike and finding dirt getting buy mine I,m running two filters. we too have had a very dusty year.

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
answer to the supper charger.
here is what the garret boost adviser said about boosting that motor. this is with 8 psi boost and an intercooler.
I be leave the stock motor is about 27 hp finding a turbo the right size could be a problem
500 boost

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Perhaps a turbo from a low horsepower tractor would work? Like a 30 horse kubota, new holland, Deere, etc.

advertisement
spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
the turbo map states it will work. if you convert the number and run them thought the boost adviser. its on the big side for the 500 my not have boost of idle but wold be fine from 2500 rpms up.

SuperYeti

SuperYeti

May 11, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Ownership

1. 700-4
Well I decided to finally get the project started today. I can now confirm that we are indeed able to make a 3" snorkel work on the 700-4.

First I installed the RMP skid plates and A-Arm guards I got last week from @ohanacreek. They're look awesome, I can't wait to test them out.
CacJHRvBnpMITWjmTmfFMITH E4RdXEPB0TbhFPhEnkw501 h890 no

Then I got going on the snorkel. I started by piecing together the piping from the top down, and dry fit everything back to the final turn before tying back into the original intake piping for the airbox.
GuChwg7V7mEk5UdeXSDa5yypY4Xc3xwDK3ofMJySKSsw501 h890 no
D yNuu2aCxLkeeTC8wjFpdBbdOs8wLqrf46B9fuYfhMw1583 h890 no
GalOng2XXfjzhi7WyNo7mNTYi NeBuCHkKTiIOdvIa8w501 h890 no

I then proceeded to mark everything, and glued everything back to the final piece before the down turn, and installed and secured it to the ROPS.
LAURWRrqr485kKGs8B2iqw3 uOfgDwd4ft8ggsEHz7Qw501 h890 no
BVKHbDSp5MiZKF5EcKaZ ZI Ta4QJ4P7RBhgIxoMpw0w501 h890 no

I picked up this 3" drain today with the rest of the goodies, I like the look with the chrome and holes, and gives me the protection I was looking for to prevent leaves, and other larger items from getting into the intake tract. I'm still undecided if I'm going to keep and use it, so I left that piece unglued. I'll try with and without next time out, and see if it makes any noticeable difference with or without.
G1jOgMoShJi0jeZR8tXVEt TwItB UOnceLZptOQjacw501 h890 no

I then with some cussing and some contribution of knuckle flesh to the gods, managed to get the rest of the snorkel plumbed into the existing intake tubing. I cut it back to about 1' of tubing left, and connected it with a 3"x2" flexible fitting.
1C9BqZnenWHTW3zr9GTFONap0OzMm9fQJUXQW3A6iWIw1583 h890 no

I finished up, installed my new K&N with Pre-Filter, and buttoned everything back up.
R96X0pXunQOMdQdbqkIYwchtu3OemU1gp0mDwm8TWC0w1583 h890 no

It only required a little bit of trimming with an exacto knife to get everything to fit back together. I only lost one of the little clip mounts out of it. I'll have to come back with a dremel, or hack saw to trim that remaining piece back, and I think I'll get some of that car door edging stuff to finish it up, and give it a bit more of a polished look.
VMMfEZimuLAfkyegmg0e bdTy87ddqrStJ2v1zbQjGQw1583 h890 no

Without doing the calculations, I think with the 3" piping it should offset any potential losses to the intake with the extra bends and pipe. We'll see. The great part is with the box closed, and rear seats up, you can't see any of it, and looks great.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I ran mine with 2" pvc and used a screen at the top to prevent leaves. I've done several timed runs with the snorkel and several with the air box lid removed and there is no difference in acceleration. Another positive thing I did was is a 90 degree sweep so I don't have a hard bend. I copied this design from someone else so I can't take any credit.

I only wish I left the elbow on top unglued so I could swing it forward for a ram air effect.

Joe

SuperYeti

SuperYeti

May 11, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Ownership

1. 700-4
@SuperYeti, what ever became of this project?
I was still testing and fine tuning the snorkel while waiting for all the parts to show up from the slow boat to China, when i snagged the snorkel and broke it... I was just taking a look at the Fan I have, and it should end up being an even better fit in the new snorkel. I'm going to get the snorkel finished hopefully tomorrow, and fitted up, then I'll probably cut out a piece, and fab up some mounting tabs for the fan now that I have all the pieces here.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Good to hear I've been anxious to see what your results are! Did you confirm you can make boost with that fan?

SuperYeti

SuperYeti

May 11, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Ownership

1. 700-4
No not yet. That reminds me, I need to find a power source to use while testing the fan, mine is only 2A, I need like 20A lol. Hmm I have the deep cycles out of the trailer for the winter, I can use one of those :). Thanks @Tflynn

Reactions: Tflynn
MaleRN28US

MaleRN28US

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 1, 2015
Roanoke, Indiana
I don't want to "burst" anyones bubble but....
It covers the whole fan thing with corresponding dyno runs

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!