Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
My next question about this snorkel is will it work if you have a front windshield? It doesn't look like it would work with a 2 piece windshield for sure.

That's very true. I may end up cutting the hood and bringing a pipe straight up. That will require the least about of hacking to the vehicle. A hood would be cheap to replace.

S

Serial_Fordicator

Oct 14, 2015
I noticed that we do have a small area where the bed meets the back of the seat in the center. I'm wondering about if maybe 1 of the 3 snorkel tubes that polaris molded for the highlifter edition ranger will fit. A 3" diameter pvc will not fit but maybe an oval piece will? I need to find someone with a hl edition ranger to see. See parts 18, 19, and 28 attached in the photos

Screenshot 2016 01 10 07 27 09 Screenshot 2016 01 10 07 26 45

M

mtaa12

Jan 2, 2016
The front one is connected to the back one and you would have a lot less cutting by eliminating the front one and snorkeling the rear one. I can tell you from experience that's not the biggest concern. I floated mine in the river and the only place we had water was the rear diff and the sub transmission only. Changed all the fluids in the rear diff twice and changed the oil in the sub transmission 4 times to clear up. If you are doing anything in deep water i highly recommend figuring out how the water gets in the sub transmission and obviously snorkel the breathing tubes on the diffs as well.

M

mtaa12

Jan 2, 2016
The sub trans has a breather tube... I just seen it in the book yesterday.
I need to get my book out and find it. We were riding along in about 10 inches of water when the road went missing. Scared the piss out of me. I was sitting in water.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Go for it! We then we can draw straws in April to see if it can match the P500 for deep water vehicle. I know just the creek... cue evil belly laughter :rolleyes:

Any deeper than that and you'd need a submarine drivers license lmao

S

Serial_Fordicator

Oct 14, 2015
The only way that I've seen to snorkel is up front. I worked for 3 hours trying to snorkel between the bed and the seat with 2" pvc with nothing to show. I hope someone redoes an airbox so we can go straight up from there. That airbox is huge.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
The sub trans has a breather tube... I just seen it in the book yesterday.

Solved that problem, Bellow for a Jeep: $9 each installed 3 of them front / rear diffs and sub transmission. allows air to expand & contract but remains sealed from outside contamination.

20160114 193357

Reactions: BigOL3
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I noticed that we do have a small area where the bed meets the back of the seat in the center. I'm wondering about if maybe 1 of the 3 snorkel tubes that polaris molded for the highlifter edition ranger will fit. A 3" diameter pvc will not fit but maybe an oval piece will? I need to find someone with a hl edition ranger to see. See parts 18, 19, and 28 attached in the photos

View attachment 8965 View attachment 8966

You might be on to something, Part #19 turned around the other way, just might fit. Everyone keeps finding things for me to spend $$$ on, another episode of H.A.D. is just around the corner.

Reactions: PioneerPete
advertisement
S

Serial_Fordicator

Oct 14, 2015
Solved that problem, Bellow for a Jeep: $9 each installed 3 of them front / rear diffs and sub transmission. allows air to expand & contract but remains sealed from outside contamination.

View attachment 9208
Fyi, you need at least one more. A vent for the motor.

Screenshot 2016 01 16 08 44 43

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
That vent goes straight down and doesn't need to be snorkeled in my opinion. Think about taking a straw and placing your thumb over it and pushing it vertically down into the water. The water will not go up into the straw.

I have been in water over the seat and not had water go up that tube.

S

Serial_Fordicator

Oct 14, 2015
That vent goes straight down and doesn't need to be snorkeled in my opinion. Think about taking a straw and placing your thumb over it and pushing it vertically down into the water. The water will not go up into the straw

I have been in water over the seat and not had water go up that tube.

I had an 87 foreman that had a vent fron the fuel pump that got clogged that went straight down too is the only reason I say that

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Maybe we should better understand what that tube is. I had the same thing on my P700 and dozens of deep water crossing never gave me trouble.

Anyone know exactly what that is? Is it a crankcase vent that would maintain pressure while the engine is running? It's a rather large diameter tube, why did Honda use that large tube? Would there be an adverse affect by raising it higher or reducing the diameter?

Also, all the vents on the pioneers go up, but this one goes down. That makes me wonder why, if Honda thought that was needed to go down, should we raise it higher?

There may be something to learn here.

Reactions: Serial_Fordicator
S

Serial_Fordicator

Oct 14, 2015
Maybe we should better understand what that tube is. I had the same thing on my P700 and dozens of deep water crossing never gave me trouble.

Anyone know exactly what that is? Is it a crankcase vent that would maintain pressure while the engine is running? It's a rather large diameter tube, why did Honda use that large tube? Would there be an adverse affect by raising it higher or reducing the diameter?

Also, all the vents on the pioneers go up, but this one goes down. That makes me wonder why, if Honda thought that was needed to go down, should we raise it higher?

One option is to get a longer piece of hose and make a few loops in it pointing down. Thats how I ran all my vents for my outlander

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Fyi, you need at least one more. A vent for the motor.

View attachment 9216

A bellow will not work on a crankcase vent there is constant pressure fluctuations and a small amount of blowby fron the cylinders when running. A longer vent hose or tied into air box which the P1K alread does fixes that concern. I'm not sure what downward hose you are referring to got pictures?

S

Serial_Fordicator

Oct 14, 2015
A bellow will not work on a crankcase vent there is constant pressure fluctuations and a small amount of blowby fron the cylinders when running. A longer vent hose or tied into air box which the P1K alread does fixes that concern. I'm not sure what downward hose you are referring to got pictures?
It's the one I attached with the arrow pointing toward it

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
It will act just like the straw concept mentioned. Mine got missing on my 700. Water pump started to leak few mud trips later.

D59e956505e8d0283071f83da62e01fc

Reactions: JACKAL
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!