P1000 Snow plow mishap!

J

JAL

Nov 22, 2020
Medford, OR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
IMG 1750

LOL. I suggested to my cousin that he should invest in tire chains, but NO, he insisted he had good traction. Tow company used two winches, one to the rear shackle and one to the snow plow. They left the vehicle in park. Go figure.

Gabbas

Gabbas

May 17, 2020
Humboldt, Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Put it in reverse Terry!

Lol all jokes aside. I was plowing and put mine in the ditch. I unhooked the plow and ran my winch underneath the machine and pulled my self out. It's a side by side. Don't need no stinking tow truck. Lol

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

J

JAL

Nov 22, 2020
Medford, OR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A tow company? Looks like a pretty easy recovery without calling out a paid service (?)
OK. More info:

Cousin lives on the top of a local peak with about a foot of snow. He plowed his very steep private road and then tried to plow his neighbor's road and slid off the road. He said the only thing keeping the rig from going over and down the hill was the plow and that the rig could tip over at any minute. Since he has zero knowledge of how to recover a vehicle I insisted that he hire a pro.

I was too lazy to put on my winter tires on my rig this year. My studded snow tires are still at my airport hanger! I went up and got close to to the top of the peak and lost traction. Tow truck also lost traction at the same spot. We both chained up. Unfortunately I only had one set of chains. I turned around, chained up and I still had difficulty controlling my descent.

AAA tow truck pulled the rig out. Cost to my cousin was nothing at all!

I ordered a second set of chains as I am still too lazy to put on my winter tires :)

J

JAL

Nov 22, 2020
Medford, OR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The one thing I thought about was that the steepness of hills never really shows up on pics. Is this CO?

Surprised AAA free tow applies to his sxs!
Hi Dave.. No just Oregon. This is just a rare low altitude snow event on the West Coast and the roads on this peak were not engineered for snow. Local road crews are over whelmed, under staffed and were force to close the Interstate, I5, at Siskiyou Summit.

Jeff

advertisement
StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I feel your sphincter pucker. (Wait, can I say that on a family channel?)
I got buried plowing yesterday and was pretty close to ditching the blade and winching myself out.

A few years ago I tried to back up my cabin driveway because my son had parked his Xterra in my usual spot.
Turns out I'd plowed a false shoulder and my 4Runner slipped off the edge and nearly rolled.
The photo shows my Teryx4 winched onto the undercarriage of the 4Runner to keep it from moving. The angle doesn't look too bad, but my driver's side front tire is perilously caught on a small stump and that is the only thing that kept me from rolling it.

I puckered, surrendered my Man Card, and called for a mountain recovery tow truck. They had me sign releases and hike the cable from 200 feet up the hill (to photo left). They dropped anchor and winched my 4Runner straight sideways back onto the drive.
Giving up the $300 tow truck charge didn't hurt as much as losing my Man Card. Which is what you do when you call a tow truck. ✌️

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!