P1000m5 Snow plowing? Can the clutch handle it?

L

Luv4Chaos1

Aug 1, 2016
Pinckney, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I purchased my Honda to work with, now I read about people burning up their clutch because they went up a hill.... If that's true, how can this thing handle plowing snow or hauling 2000lbs?? Really starting to think I got took by buying Honda's name.... I also read here that we have to modify this $17k machine to not burn our selves and passengers, really??? I'm really getting sick over this.... May trade it for a Mule Pro FXT... I can't stomach the amount of money I would lose....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
There are somethings which could be better, like the heat from the seat, but I've ran mine harder than most and couldn't be happier! Just think how nice that heat will feel coming up from the seats while plowing snow. @buyouownbeer has heat sheets for sale on here which can be removed this fall.
Remember that you purchased your machine because of what the name stood for. Nothing has changed!

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I purchased my Honda to work with, now I read about people burning up their clutch because they went up a hill.... If that's true, how can this thing handle plowing snow or hauling 2000lbs?? Really starting to think I got took by buying Honda's name.... I also read here that we have to modify this $17k machine to not burn our selves and passengers, really??? I'm really getting sick over this.... May trade it for a Mule Pro FXT... I can't stomach the amount of money I would lose....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That heat is very welcomed in the winter. It's only in the summer where it starts to become too hot for me anyway.

As for the clutch issue, I believe this was an isolated event where the clutch was abused or it was a failure due to a manufacture defect.

My pioneer runs on 30 inch tires and when I'm home and have stock size tires on it, it typically gets a good workout and the clutches have never shown any signs of slipping.

0c91b5846dac219f85bfcc6b04c97977

Bd17890ef1d0b19cd4d3aafe7f76d840

E29cd9ffb57d53993e56bef4317e8876

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I guess what I'm saying is, if Honda says that it can plow snow then that's what you should do with it. If it fails, take it up with them. But I would have a hard time believing it would fail pushing snow because I've seen how strong the machine is.

I had all four tires spinning in gravel while backing this boat into place. I typically would not use the pioneer however I just wanted to see how it would handle a heavy load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Yes clutches is very isolated and not a real issue so no worries there....and some of the clutch problems would have destroyed other brands entire belt system, so to put it in perspective as to which one I would trust. And the heat is not enjoyable and is hot in the summer with the cab fully enclosed (but can be fixed pretty easily)....but once again to put it in perspective every brand has a heat issues of some sort and some are so bad it is a recall and melting wiring harnesses it's so bad....even though it's not perfect....it is much closer than the rest!!! Have fun with it and run it as hard as you want....that's what I do and have had nothing but a blast and these things have taken a beating for me!!!)

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
For every clutch problem reported there are several hundred (or even thousand) with no problem at all. I run larger tires and play hard. Hasn't shown the first sign of a problem. Joey stated it best. Use it how you want, when you want, wherever you want.

S

Someguy

Jun 15, 2016
Krakow Wi.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just put a open trail plow system by kfi on my 1kp3. Like sharp said it's designed for plowing.The plow mount I put on bolts to 4 threaded holes in the frame that looks like it's specifically designed for a plow mount. That impressed me, I had a Rincon the plow mount bolted to the frame with U bolts. That tells me something about what the machine should be able to do. JMHO.

Reactions: sharp
R

rmk700

Mar 6, 2016
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've pulled 2 ton of hay on a trailer and climb steep hills all the time with zero problems.

I always keep in low range when pulling and climbing. It shifts a lot more in low but common sense tells me it's much easier on the clutches than doing it in high range.

It may not completely resolve any clutch issues, but using your head and driving it properly will certainatly help.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!