Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Apparently it depends on the snow, out west here in New Mexico the Bighorns pack and I’m finished. They do not clean out. And I don’t know what’s better as I don’t want to spend 6-8 hundred on something else only to be disappointed. Waiting for some locals to chime in.
If you take a look at a sled track that should give you a good idea of a tread pattern for snow. I know you don't want a tire that digs. Basically if its good in sand it will be good on snow. But not paddles.

Reactions: PJ1
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
If you take a look at a sled track that should give you a good idea of a tread pattern for snow. I know you don't want a tire that digs. Basically if its good in sand it will be good on snow. But not paddles.
Thanks Plumber. By sled track, are you referring to snowmobile tracks?

Reactions: Plumber32
S

Splorin

Oct 14, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
Lots of variables to snow runnin'. One set that's good in the morning can suck in the afternoon and vice versa. Wide's, especially radials, float well on soft snow though steering could get vague. When it's real cold and powdery my old Rhino rims and tires ( 25x8 and 10's) with a thousand screws pumped to 12 or 14 lbs rip. They're looking for ice underneath and run tall with directional stability. Though not for plowing paved driveways. Mild treads are safer on ice. Tall, skinny, big lug bias' are tried and true on lightweight rigs. Whatever ya got, get out there and run 'em. Trails get way smoother and no clean up needed....

Reactions: PJ1 and trigger
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Lots of variables to snow runnin'. One set that's good in the morning can suck in the afternoon and vice versa.
Great, nobody told me I’d have to own two sets of snow tires and switch them out halfway through the day....😡

Screw it, I’ll do something else on snow days....🤣🤣

K

kubel

Nov 24, 2020
USA
Ownership

1. 500
Off road tires have big treads and are great on loose gravel or mud, but good compacted snow traction relies on sipes, which almost no off road tires have. They also don't use silica compound, which would make them better on ice.

I've been looking at getting a set of passenger car snow tires, like Blizzak WS80, but I haven't figured out the size yet and don't have wheels for them. Maybe next year.

Reactions: PJ1
B

BWHunter

Nov 2, 2020
WI
Ownership

1. 500
I was out in 8-12 inches of untracked snow on mine for the first time this weekend. An unplowed gravel road, as well as a backwoods rocky trail with some short steep climbs. I've got 27" Bighorn 2.0's and had no issues. Steering was pretty loose in 2 wheel drive but once it was in 4WD it was pretty good. It was cold, 15-20 degrees and the snow was dry so clearing the tread was not an issue.

Last edited:
Aerolite

Aerolite

Jan 10, 2021
Oxford Mills ON
Ownership

1. 500
Thought I'd chime in here, my first post. I live in Eastern Ontario, Canada. Just bought a new 520, got it last Wed. Have a 4500 warn winch and KFI 60"plow blade. Also put a windshield and roof on it. We had a good snowfall Fri/Sat with about 8 inches of heavy wet snow. I was amazed at how well the machine moved the snow and I have the stock Vee Rubber tires on it. 24x10x12 and 24x8x12 is what comes on the 520. I also went for a 70km trail ride on Sunday after the snow, we already had about 6 inches on the ground, and it worked very well in the snow.
But I do want bigger and more aggressive tires to raise the ground clearance and go better in the snow and other seasons. So after people sounding happy with the Kenda's, today I ordered 27x11x12, and 27x9x12 Kenda Bear Claw HTR (Radials) with new steel rims with a 4+3 offset, (520 same as 500 with stock 5+2 offset). I should have these on next week and will report back here what I think. After 2 rides and one snow plowing session (I have lots of driveway and shop parking area to clean), I am very happy with the machine so far.

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
Thought I'd chime in here, my first post. I live in Eastern Ontario, Canada. Just bought a new 520, got it last Wed. Have a 4500 warn winch and KFI 60"plow blade. Also put a windshield and roof on it. We had a good snowfall Fri/Sat with about 8 inches of heavy wet snow. I was amazed at how well the machine moved the snow and I have the stock Vee Rubber tires on it. 24x10x12 and 24x8x12 is what comes on the 520. I also went for a 70km trail ride on Sunday after the snow, we already had about 6 inches on the ground, and it worked very well in the snow.
But I do want bigger and more aggressive tires to raise the ground clearance and go better in the snow and other seasons. So after people sounding happy with the Kenda's, today I ordered 27x11x12, and 27x9x12 Kenda Bear Claw HTR (Radials) with new steel rims with a 4+3 offset, (520 same as 500 with stock 5+2 offset). I should have these on next week and will report back here what I think. After 2 rides and one snow plowing session (I have lots of driveway and shop parking area to clean), I am very happy with the machine so far.

I assume 4+3 wheels stick out 1" further than 5+2 wheels? Both being 7" total width?

Aerolite

Aerolite

Jan 10, 2021
Oxford Mills ON
Ownership

1. 500
I assume 4+3 wheels stick out 1" further than 5+2 wheels? Both being 7" total width?
Yes, that's correct. Plus the tires are 1" wider so add another 1/2" as well. It seems most have liked the extra width and stability when going with the taller tires so that's why I decided on the 4+3 rims. I'll soon find out, lol.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!